Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Believer318
Registered Users

My Mood:
Who loves their washing machine??

I have a FL and got rid of all my microfiber b/c they would stink (I don't want to use bleach on my baby's diapers), and went to cotton fitteds with fold out soakers so they would wash cleaner...they stink too! I want to get a new washer that actually uses LOTS of water and HOT water for that matter. Could someone please tell me what to buy?!?!?!

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
Believer318
Registered Users

My Mood:
bump
Old 08-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
lalaura
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I love my basic top loader. It's a Maytag Dependable Care

please excuse craziness - I am on my phone

Proud SAHM to 2 beautiful girls J (03/11/07) and Z (01/18/10)
lalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My machine just quit on me so we are headed to sears this afternoon( some good labor day deals) to buy a new machine. I am definitely going top loader, there is a great machine for $599 usually a little over $1000 but it is HE and I've heard they don't use enough water and it doesn't appear to have a water level control I think I may just get a very basic machine so it washes the diapers well. Would love any advice too
Old 08-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
carlamitchell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Who loves their washing machine??

i love my simple old top loader - idk how old it even is, it was in our house when we bought it a few years ago! its a Whirlpool Commercial Quality Super Capacity Plus, so it holds a TON of water. probably not efficient at all, but gets our dipes and clothes nice and clean! i was having ammonia issues though, until i switched detergents - had to buy Purex Hypo F&C cause thats all that would work on our hard water.

ive read that theres some way to trick a fl/he machine to think it needs more water, but idk how to do it - i think it had something to do with a soak cycle... maybe you could find out before springing on a new washer!
carlamitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
carlamitchell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i love my simple old top loader - idk how old it even is, it was in our house when we bought it a few years ago! its a Whirlpool Commercial Quality Super Capacity Plus, so it holds a TON of water. probably not efficient at all, but gets our dipes and clothes nice and clean! i was having ammonia issues though, until i switched detergents - had to buy Purex Hypo F&C cause thats all that would work on our hard water.

ive read that theres some way to trick a fl/he machine to think it needs more water, but idk how to do it - i think it had something to do with a soak cycle... maybe you could find out before springing on a new washer!
carlamitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

We always used an ancient top loader until it broke earlier this year. Ended up with Bravos which is an HE top loader. It's pretty good, but some of the energy savings things drive me crazy. Most clothes come out of the dryer pretty damp even though I set it to "more dry." We also have birds, so there's bird poop on some clothes and things... stuff like that doesn't come out unless I use just the right settings. I think it's because most of the cycles use very little water.

For diapers it's working nice. No stinkies (but we didn't have stinkies before). We use the "bulky" setting with hot water so it actually fully submerges the diapers. Probably not energy efficient, but they were not clean when they were sloshing around in only a little water. I also can't program a soak followed by a wash... so I still have to go in there and run the wash manually. I do like that there's a see-through lid, super convenient! I wish there wasn't a lid-lock (miss my ancient washer) because the darn thing takes forever to be perfectly still so I can open it and add something.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
Nicolenutt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Today I hate my whirlpool duet. Dh had to replace a $200 seal on it last month, and now it needs a new computer something which is also going to be a couple hundred bucks. I'm scouring my local kijiji for an old top loader. Gl finding something you love!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have a super capacity whirlpool top loader that's probably about 10 years old, we got that and the matching dryer at a used appliance store for less than 400 dollars with delivery and installation...fancy front loaders are pretty, but my washer is a tank and our water bill is less than $80 a month (which includes trash pick up). When it comes to washing diapers it is dependable as heck!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would look for a plain top loader--something used, either Craig's list/classified or find an appliance store that has a used section (they will be things people had hauled away for their new appliances and the store refurbishes them and sells them). I'm not even sure if you can find old school top loaders as new products anymore, I think most of them have built-in water/energy saving modes that give you less water at a lower temperature.

But get a plain top loader (with an extra rinse option though ). IME, fancy front loaders cost more up front, and by the time you earn your savings on your water bill you will probably have to spring for an expensive repair on the machine. In general there are fewer and less expensive parts to break on a top loader.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote