Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra
Does starting the pregnancy 20 lbs ahead count? Can I blame it on the baby?
I feel the same way!!

Advertisement

itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
~Roses~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weight gain thus far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbengtson View Post
I don't think I have really gained any weight. every morning my weight is different. and I am so bloated and constipated that I am sure that is the problem.
This is me, too. Fun stuff! lol
Old 08-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
You absolutely can!!!!!
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Feeling huge here, but the scale says otherwise... maybe up 2 lbs. I'm a little unsure of my starting weight.

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
Lilybug1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I'm with you on this one. I got asked if I was pregnant before I was even pregnant. I have a leftover baby gut for my last baby but she is already 12 months old. I'm getting asked more and more about if I am pregnant.

Honestly, I know we shouldn't worry too much about weight, but I am worrying that I am creating a mountain I can't overcome. It's been 5 years since I've managed my weight (since my first pregnancy).

Is there any safe way to really manage our weight during pregnancy?
Lilybug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #16
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybug1

I'm with you on this one. I got asked if I was pregnant before I was even pregnant. I have a leftover baby gut for my last baby but she is already 12 months old. I'm getting asked more and more about if I am pregnant.

Honestly, I know we shouldn't worry too much about weight, but I am worrying that I am creating a mountain I can't overcome. It's been 5 years since I've managed my weight (since my first pregnancy).

I never lost it all from the 1st two, and BFing is supposed to help I shudder to think how big I would've been otherwise...

I think the best you can do is continue to eat healthy and be active....
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
KendallMarie
Registered Users
seller

Hard for me to say since i was trying to loose a few pounds when I got my BFP so my weight was fluctuating. I'd guess 2-3lbs... which i'm not too happy about since I'm only 7 weeks. But the fact that my clothing is already getting tight makes me wonder how much of that is water retention.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #18
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by melilo View Post
Feeling huge here, but the scale says otherwise... maybe up 2 lbs. I'm a little unsure of my starting weight.
I weighed myself yesterday (yes, cuz of this thread, lol) and IIRC from weighing myself a couple months ago, I'm down a lb. BUT, I also am heavier than I've ever been (un-pregnant) so maybe that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybug1 View Post

Weight is sucky. Period. People/society put such a huge emphasis on something that really shouldn't be important. If you're happy with how you look, and you're feeling good and healthy, the numbers shouldn't matter.

To actually answer your question - it isn't safe to diet or restrict calories while pregnant, unless it's a diet for, say, GD or helping to control/lower BP.
You just want to eat normally, healthy, and stay active. Your body will gain what it needs to (or not, for some mamas).
Try not to worry about it or focus on the numbers. If it helps, you can ask your care provider not to tell you your weight.
Oh, and don't "eat for 2"! Pregnancy is not an excuse for constantly overeating That little baby doesn't eat/need nearly as much as we do. Most info I've read says we need about 200-300 extra calories per day, though some say that's not until after the first trimester.

I saw it mentioned about breastfeeding helping with losing weight - for some mamas it does, for some it doesn't. For example, I gain a ton (read my previous post!) during pregnancy, but I have always lost it all by 2-3mos pp. Breastfeeding does suck the weight off for me. My friend, however, gains nothing (literally) during pregnancy, and then gains weight while breastfeeding!
Again, it's not a great idea to diet while breastfeeding - not "extreme" dieting anyways - cuz it can affect your supply.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #19
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:

Bfing does.t help me lose weight. I exclusively bf for 6full months and had to low carb diet to lose my baby weight

I dont have any good genes
Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #20
KendallMarie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybug1 View Post
I'm tracking my eating with the livestrong.com "my plate" feature and doing my best to keep my activity level up... but that is tough with how tired I've been.

The tracking I think is the single best tool for me i want to eat all the time so tracking helps me pick healthier options because i want to keep my calorie intake in an appropriate range and I can eat a heck of a lot more veggies and stay under my limit then if I were to choose cookies. I'm not restriciting calories... just making sure I'm not over eating.

But it is hard to move from the "i want to loose weight" mentality to accepting that you are now going to gain weight and that's a good thing.

Last edited by KendallMarie; 08-30-2012 at 08:07 AM.
KendallMarie is online now   Reply With Quote