Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2012, 03:03 AM   #11
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Styling little girls hair...

My daughter is 19 months old. We do ponytails, clips don't stay in for more than a few seconds and I sm always worried she or the little boy I babysit will choke on them when she pulls them out. Her hair is still super fine so bigger clips are too heavy.

*Sometimes * she will hear a headbands for a little while. She likes to have her hair done so she sits pretty still, it's just keeping it in that is the problem.

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
bobbyjk
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DD is 22 months old and has had a full head of hair since birth. Once it was long enough for little elastics she never cared about them in. I have actually done some pretty creative styles with pulling different sections up - I use a detangle spray and keep her distracted with snacks or singing a song works too.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
When DD was younger, she'd pull out her barrette and when she'd try, I'd tell her no and move her hand away. When she was in the carseat, it'd get lost, but I'd just put in a new one and start over.

When we switched to ponytails, she never messed with them. Or if she did, I would tell her no, etc. I still can't put decorative puffs on her pony tails cause she'll pull them off, but regular rubber bands she leaves.

To do her hair, I hand her a book and I use a spray bottle to wet her hair. That usually works. At one time I did it while she ate breakfast.

They get used to it. She didn't do headbands well as a baby. But barrettes were necessary because her hair was in her eyes. They get used to it.
This exactly. Word for word.

I asked a girlfriend of mine who has a 6yo daughter who wears very extravagant hairstyles what she did when S was little. She told me she smacked her hand everyone shed reach for her bow. That started at about 7 months and by a year she left it alone!

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***

Last edited by mommabritt; 08-30-2012 at 10:47 AM.
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
This exactly. Word for word.

I asked a girlfriend of mine who has a 6yo daughter who wears very extravagant hairstyles what she did when S was little. She told me she smacked her hand everyone shed reach for her bow. That started at about 7 months and by a year she left it alone!
This is what my mom told me to do to get her to sit still. "Just smack her when she tries to move and pin her with your knees". Wonder why I hate getting my hair done..hmmm. Anyway I use a spray bottle too, have her hold the rubber bands and try to do it really quickly. I don't do headbands or barrettes unless she asks for them. If she's not in the mood then I let it go. I do try to only comb it when wet with conditioner and then braid it before she goes to bed so it's not tangles int he morning and that cuts down on time she has to sit there as well.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #15
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree that they just get used to it. Get those little bitty elastics, they are PERFECT for baby hair. When we were going through the classes to become foster parents, I picked up two boxes of them just for that reason. LOL They are really cheap too, which is nice. I used to nanny for two little girls, 18m & 3, and I would bathe them and then do their hair right away while it was still wet. Maybe I just had well behaved girls, but they just sat there and let me do it. I didn't really give them an option, though, and it was over quickly. On them I used the little elastics for pig tails, and then little plastic barrettes to keep the fringes out of their face.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 08-30-2012 at 01:12 PM.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote