Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you bedshare and nurse to sleep I have questions!

I am just curious about how you went about the process of getting rid of night feedings. As of right now DS goes to sleep at 8 or 9 (his schedule has been thrown off for a while b/c of our move) and he usually wakes up 4 or 5 times before I go to bed 9usually 11ish). I go in and nurse him back to sleep. He's not really hungry but I haven't tried to get him back to sleep without nursing so I'm not really sure where to start. After I go to bed he probably wakes up 3 or 4 times and whimpers. I usually just stick a boob in his mouth and go back to sleep. I'm sure sometimes I could just pat his back or something but it's just the quickest option and at 2 am I'm not really thinking about anything other than going back to sleep. So, how did you go about things as your babe started to get older. DS is 7 months old BTW. I am getting decent sleep and we aren't trying to get him out of our bed yet so a slow process is fine.

Advertisement

And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Cold turkey.

We might wean and have no regrets. I suffer exhaustion quickly with no sleep. I've been in the hospital twice. Once with each baby. So once they could be night weaned it happened.

DH took over night time. Completely. Baby cried? Got dad. Over and over. I slept somewhere else. It was very hard, with my first. I was a first time mom and wanted to 'rescue' him. Until I thought, rescue him from WHAT??? A loving, singing father? Who nurtured him? Heck, that wasn't right.

It took 2-3 nights. One, with our second son.

It's not easy. Lots of tears. And IF you do it, commit. Or else they quickly learn that after x amount of time, mom comes.

My DS actually quickly adjusted and then my DH could put him down in 5 minutes. It was maddening! Lol. Fast asleep, on his shoulder, no tears.

Night weaning really bonded my DH and the boys. Showed them that mom might supply the milk but daddy could give lots of love too and sometimes it's NOT about the milk. But the comfort it gives them. Show them there is another way. We picked weekends to night wean on and DH was very very tired. But it worked
Old 08-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you bedshare and nurse to sleep I have questions!

We got to a point where DD was waking every 45 minutes all night, and I was too exhausted to see straight. I read The Baby Whisperer and yanked a few techniques from her - I don't love her overall philosophy or strategy, but she had some good sleep tips. We started doing shhh/pat and pick up/put down, I standardized our bedtime routine, and I STOPPED nursing lying down! Get up and nurse in a chair.

An example I remember really made sense to me: Imagine you fall asleep in your warm, cozy armchair...and wake up on the golf course. Babies like patterns, consistency, and predictability. If he falls asleep nursing or just cuddling on your chest, he wants to be in the same situation when he wakes up.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Check out the No Cry Sleep Solution
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well we are still nursing, bedsharing and nursing back to sleep so I havent gone through any night weaning w/my dd.

With my ds I cheated and gave him a sippy cup at night, I want to say around 2 or 2.5, but I dont plan on doing that w/dd.

I am in the "child led weaning camp" so I have no idea how or when she will night wean.

She goes through phases but on average she wakes up two to three times a night to nurse once we are all asleep.
Nursing isnt just for hunger, it's for comfort so I dont think she is nursing for hunger but because it's comforting and soothing.

It's so automatic for me, I dont love having to slightly wake up but it is what it is.

I wish I had a video camera to see what our patterns are really like at night.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow I am so afraid to roll over my dd
She is 9 weeks and is sleeping in her crib 8-9 hours wakes nurses for 10 mins then sleeps another 2-3 hours.

How do you know you won't roll over them? I would love to know I want extra snuggles at night
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B
She is 9 weeks and is sleeping in her crib 8-9 hours wakes nurses for 10 mins then sleeps another 2-3 hours.

How do you know you won't roll over them? I would love to know I want extra snuggles at night
. For the same reason you don't roll off the bed, you will not roll onto your baby, even though you are asleep, you are very much aware of your space. And as long as you aren't on drugs/drinking, mom and baby are very in tune to each other.

See dr sears page about "co sleeping concerns" http://www.askdrsears.com/news/lates...eping-concerns

......you should see what my posts look like BEFORE auto correct.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton View Post
Well we are still nursing, bedsharing and nursing back to sleep so I havent gone through any night weaning w/my dd.

With my ds I cheated and gave him a sippy cup at night, I want to say around 2 or 2.5, but I dont plan on doing that w/dd.

I am in the "child led weaning camp" so I have no idea how or when she will night wean.

She goes through phases but on average she wakes up two to three times a night to nurse once we are all asleep.
Nursing isnt just for hunger, it's for comfort so I dont think she is nursing for hunger but because it's comforting and soothing.

It's so automatic for me, I dont love having to slightly wake up but it is what it is.

I wish I had a video camera to see what our patterns are really like at night.
I'm the same pretty much. I'm not losing out on sleep so I'm not too worried, just want to plan ahead. I have totally thought the same thing about the video camera!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B View Post

I have slept with him since he was born. In the very beginning you are just so in tune that pretty much every move they make wakes you up...even in your sleep you are aware of them. I was way more cautious in the beginning and always moved him away from me to the center of the bed (although he ended up sleeping on my chest an awful lot ) and now he can really sleep wherever, my body has just adjusted to knowing he's there. It helps that my SO is a really light sleeper too so I don't have to worry about him. If she is sleeping 9 hours the crib might be perfect for her...maybe bring her to bed with you when she wakes for her early morning feed and then you can get extra snuggles in.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B

You just KNOW. Part of you is aware of your baby's presence even while you sleep. (This is of course as long as you aren't on drugs or drunk). Others (like DH) wont have that ability, just you i think. You definitely want to face her at that age for added awareness. I suggest sleeping on your side with your arm above baby's head. Someone else can probably give a better/more thorough explanation. ETA someone already did! I forgot about the rolling off the bed analogy. Good one.

Last edited by Mom2jandb; 08-29-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:54 AM   #10
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I loved the no cry sleep solution too. I never really did much in the way of night weaning while they were still in our bed, they just seemed to sleep better and nurse less after a while. My daughter would sleep through the night at 8 months in bed with me, but it took until 18 months to STTN in her own room.

If it seemed excessive, I would try snuggles instead of nursing, after a while it was more about comfort or thirst than hunger.