Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
1healthylady
Registered Users

I hate pumping

But I have to pump so LO can have my good milk when I go back to work. It takes forever for me to get a let down at the pump, even when she's sitting right next to me. It's gonna be so much worse when I go back to work. I know that my disdain for the pump only makes it worse. I try to stay comfortable, take deep breaths to relax, have her nearby, think of the reasons WHY I'm doing it, and read something to take my mind off it. I end up having to hold the pump with one hand and literally milk the boob with the other to get anything. Any tips to make this go better? I want to pump, I just don't like it. I feel like a cow.

Probably typing one handed while breastfeeding. My smartphone can't fix it all.

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I hate pumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1healthylady View Post
But I have to pump so LO can have my good milk when I go back to work. It takes forever for me to get a let down at the pump, even when she's sitting right next to me. It's gonna be so much worse when I go back to work. I know that my disdain for the pump only makes it worse. I try to stay comfortable, take deep breaths to relax, have her nearby, think of the reasons WHY I'm doing it, and read something to take my mind off it. I end up having to hold the pump with one hand and literally milk the boob with the other to get anything. Any tips to make this go better? I want to pump, I just don't like it. I feel like a cow.

Probably typing one handed while breastfeeding. My smartphone can't fix it all.

I feel the same way. I've done it 2x so far (and hope to do it again!). You're already doing what you need to--- and good you started now! I try to find the victories (even though for me, this time I spent months at work kicking myself for not pumping before I went back-- I just couldn't stand it.)

truthfully, what you're doing here (reaching out) is what gets me through every time. I go to a local LC's free monthly meeting and that gets me through a month until the next one I always leave feeling relaxed even if I went in a mess.

I say get a pumping bra and read a book-- or I got a kindle and played games on it. that helped me with number 2-- hadn't done that with number 1.

At home, I pump one side and the baby eats on the other-- one feeding a day to work on a stash.

good luck!! ask for support you're doing great!
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do you have a pump yet? It can make a huge difference.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Have done it for four kids; five soon. Alway hated and it never gets better BUT that said I did it for a year and a half for each. They all nursed til 2. It's worth it.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

is there any way you can stay home and not have to go back to work? Even just for a year or two? I hate pumping too, so much so that I only used it a few times with my first son then got rid of it after a few years of it sitting unused in a closet. I havent pumped at all with the last 3 babes just let them nurse on demand, its so much nicer than pumping.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i started pumping as soon as my milk came in. i found it very helpful to pump the opposite side baby was nursing on. next feeding i would switch sides
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Try getting a pumpease or other hands free pumping bra. That will allow you to pump and do breast compressions.

If you can figure it out try nursing on one side and pumping the other.

What kind of pump do you have?

Sent from my DROID2 using DS Forum
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
ans7
Registered Users

I'm exclusively pumping and I use the Medela hands free bustier and that has made me hate pumping less because I can play on my laptop and talk on the phone instead of wringing the heck out of my breasts. I had trouble getting much in the beginning, and one thing I've discovered is that I had the pump suction up way too high. I thought if I turned it up to the max I'd get more faster. What you are actually supposed to do is turn it up until you feel discomfort and then turn it down a bit from that. It works so much better and it feels more comfortable. I've also noticed that I get more by being able to pump both breasts at the same time. I used to do one at a time and do breast compressions til my breast were red, but with pumping both simultaneously I let down better and don't squeeze at all.
ans7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes
i started pumping as soon as my milk came in. i found it very helpful to pump the opposite side baby was nursing on. next feeding i would switch sides
Same here. Got me a nice milk stash doing it this way.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
RainbowMomma
Registered Users

I hate pumping also!
I am using a hospital grade Medela pump that I rented to try and establish my supply as I have had major problems with it since my DS was born (09/18)... my nips are extremely sore and all the LC told me to do was put 1% cortizone cream and Neosporin on it...
RainbowMomma is offline   Reply With Quote