Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
basMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How much homework does your First grader have?

My DS has about six pages a day. It is annoying. He has been doing this since last year when he was in kinder. It is also a "gifted" class. It consist of 2 math pages, 2 language art pages, a journal in which he has to write what he did at home, and a "today at school page" in which he writes what he did at school. I hate it because it is a lot of busy work.

Advertisement

basMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
MamaCarina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD just started 1st. She gets a homework packet on mondays and it is to be turned in the following monday. The first week it was about 7 pages (front and back) and this week it is 4 pages (front and back) and she has to read 20 minutes every day. Including reading she spends about 30 minutes on her homework.
MamaCarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
When dd1 was in 1st grade she had 15-20 min of reading homework every night and once a month had a math packet that was 4-6 pages.

At meet the teacher night last week it looks to be the same for dd2 who is in 1st this year.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

dd has 1 math page M,T,TH and a reader that she brings home every day except Fri. She will also have a spelling list beginning next week that she will be tested on Fri. Takes 20 min tops.

When ds was in 1st and had the same homework, it would take him an hour or more...he has some issues though.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

My kids had no homework in Grade 1. Even now in grades 5, 6 & 9 they still do not have regular homework. There is a home reading program but it isn't mandatory.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #16
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is my 1st grader's second week of school...last week they had one math sheet each day, this week they've had one math sheet and one phonics sheet each day, plus a phonics reading list to go over each night that they can be tested on any day during the week. DS manages to get all of them (including the reading list, which is about 10-15 different words) done within 10-15 minutes each night, sometimes less if I can really get him to focus. I've had friends with kids older than DS that had this same teacher and they've all said once we get to about week 6-8, expect at least 6-8 worksheets per night, and expect to work on them for about 30-40 minutes.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #17
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is in second but last year he usually had 2 sheets of math, spelling words (they only did 6 which I loved) and sometimes he had reading assignments. But, he was really struggling with all the basics so the poor kiddo started having tutoring time with me (about 30min) a day with a different learning style. So he had that too.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #18
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok so it sounds like he has more than most others. I'm not really complaining because he does need the extra practice and he is doing well with it. I just think it will get old real quick for him when he has to do this practically every night. I do think some homework is reasonable because they do need to be prepared for later. My ods has no homework at all unless he is studying a study guide for a test. I actually hope he starts having *some* homework soon. He's in 5th.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #19
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

For our school it sounds pretty close to normal. I co-teach kindergarten and my own son who is also in kindergarten on a typical evening like tonight has 1 math page, 1 critical thinking page, 5 spelling word pre-test [other nights it is writing 5 sentences using each word], 1 vocabulary search worksheet, and a proper writing worksheet.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I teach second grade, and I hand out homework on Monday that is due on Friday. Each week students have one page of math and one page of language/phonics (it is a second language program). Then they are asked to read for 10 minutes every night. That's it!
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote