Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #41
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: what are your thoughts on this (asked to not BF)? (update in #34)

They think you are disrepectful Good grief! They have some nerve

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #42
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wowza....it's not like your making a baby infront of those kids...it's only feeding!
That's the problem these days...Society has set up the outlook on breasts as sexual attention, not as natures way of feeding! It's ridiculous!!!
I'm sorry your aunt is being a downer on it. I would have gone and fed as much as I could.
If she doesn't like it, then DO NOT LOOK!!!!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #43
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I would ask if they know the law. I nursed mine in the middle of the mall(not huge) but you are allowed to nurse your baby anywhere. I do in target display glider. Covers aren't always useful & yea not like I undress to do. I feel like if someone doesn't want to see they don't have to. Mine was a distractable one as she got older & would stair down anyone so like maybe step outside the classroom or something. As we talked at LLL meeting we don't eat in bathroom y the baby? Bfing is natural in every culture & it should be more accepted.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #44
aimeeturd
Registered Users

My Mood:
I feel like we as women need to stop letting ourselves be relegated to the back room, where no one can see, and just do it wherever we are. If breastfeeding is out in the open and seen often then it becomes the norm and not the exception. Regardless of whether someone breastfeeds or not, children should be taught that breasts are a source of food. If we act like someone feeding their children is not a big deal then children will learn that its not a big deal. Just my 2 cents Sorry to OP that your family is not being supportive!
aimeeturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #45
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I'm a little surprised by how many people said they would go and nurse just to 'show them you could', so to speak. Now, I certainly think they were being ridiculous, and you shouldn't have to go to a bathroom and nurse. But I guess I don't feel a need to antagonize people because I feel differently. I used to go in the other room to nurse DD2 at my in-laws house because it made my FIL uncomfortable (not the nursing itself, but potentially seeing his DIL's bewb ). I had a comfortable space to nurse, and wasn't really missing out on anything, so I didn't really feel a need to 'shove it in his face'. While of course we should be allowed to feed our babies whenever and wherever it's needed, and it shouldn't be stigmatized, I guess I wouldn't go and specifically nurse places just because I was asked not to be a family member. I did nurse my baby several public places (including restaurants and the like), and never had issues, so maybe that's part of my feelings. I've never really had to fight for the right to nurse, so to speak.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #46
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I'm a little surprised by how many people said they would go and nurse just to 'show them you could', so to speak. Now, I certainly think they were being ridiculous, and you shouldn't have to go to a bathroom and nurse. But I guess I don't feel a need to antagonize people because I feel differently. I used to go in the other room to nurse DD2 at my in-laws house because it made my FIL uncomfortable (not the nursing itself, but potentially seeing his DIL's bewb ). I had a comfortable space to nurse, and wasn't really missing out on anything, so I didn't really feel a need to 'shove it in his face'. While of course we should be allowed to feed our babies whenever and wherever it's needed, and it shouldn't be stigmatized, I guess I wouldn't go and specifically nurse places just because I was asked not to be a family member. I did nurse my baby several public places (including restaurants and the like), and never had issues, so maybe that's part of my feelings. I've never really had to fight for the right to nurse, so to speak.
The way I took it was that people were telling me to go and nurse--not necessarily to shove it in peoples' faces, but because baby was hungry and it was normal to feed him.

After driving to the school and then being in the lunchroom for 45 minutes, DS would have needed to nurse while there.

Last edited by jessca06; 09-20-2012 at 04:23 PM.
jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #47
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessca06
I was going to go with my DD (2 yrs old), DS (3 months old), my mom, and my aunt to have lunch with my cousins (7 & 9 yrs old) at their school tomorrow. My aunt just called my mom and asked her to make sure that I know not to breastfeed DS in the school.

I said we aren't going. I never show much of anything (not that I think that matters anyways). I always wear a tank with a shirt over (and lift up shirt and pull down tank to nurse). She said that there are kids there and it isn't appropriate to breastfeed.

Am I overreacting? What would you do?
It's a sad day when someone reminds a mother not to nurse. It's rude and in my state, illegal.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #48
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessca06
Well I still haven't talked to my aunt. We weren't very close and I just don't feel like discussing it with her right now. My mom agrees with her and so does my grandma (which bothers me more).

I have talked with my mom and grandma. They are all saying that they are for breastfeeding, but not in a school and not around children around that age (my cousins are in 4th grade). My aunt also told my mom that the principal wouldn't have allowed me to breastfeed. They all say that I can't breastfeed in front of kids because it is up to their parents to explain breastfeeding to them and that it is not my place to "show" them (they're acting like this is sex education!). I of course wouldn't be showing them. I would just be feeding my child. If they were to ask what I am doing, I would say "feeding my baby."

My mom also keeps saying that my son can surely go the 45 minutes lunchtime without nursing...maybe he can or maybe he can't...maybe he is sleeping when we would've gotten there and wants to nurse when he wakes up...that isn't the issue though. The issue is that I was asked to not nurse and that they all see something wrong with it.

Apparently my mom is convinced that she is right and I am wrong because her friends all agree with her (and one is a nurse)

They're acting like I was going to stand up on the stage in front of the entire cafeteria, show both breasts, and announce that I would be nursing.

Thankfully my husband agrees with me and supports me because I am quite bummed that my own mother and grandmother don't.

There was a big family dinner recently and my husband and I decided not to go. I just feel uncomfortable around all of them--knowing that all of them think I'm doing something wrong--and don't see any reason to put myself through an evening with them.

My grandma and mom said I was very disrespectful for not going
I'd call the principle, directly. No one tells me when my baby can and can not eat. I honestly would contact school, and say I either can nurse or not attend. Unacceptable,
Old 09-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #49
Tish1973
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'd let her know that if she doesn't want my 3 month old to eat during lunch, to not invite us! Honestly, I have breastfed at my son's school and the kids don't care! They certainly don't get offended either. I have encountered simple curiosity and that's it.

It would actually piss me off to be asked not to feed my baby or even for the person to assume we bottle feed.

Last edited by Tish1973; 09-20-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Tish1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #50
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981

I'd call the principle, directly. No one tells me when my baby can and can not eat. I honestly would contact school, and say I either can nurse or not attend. Unacceptable,
Why would you call the principal? Her aunt told her not to bf the school probably doesn't even know this happened

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote