Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Keiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ebay wwyd

So, I sold something on ebay, and it's rather large and heavy. I thought I had set it so that I wasn't willing to ship international because I knew how expensive it would be.

Before it sold, I got a message from someone asking how much it would be to ship to Canada. Fine, so I told them how much. Then, they asked, well, how much would it be to ship it to Israel? Yeah, it's $52. They sent a third message saying, well if they could provide a US address it would be free? (I had set it to be free US shipping) I never responded to that message because it seems all fishy to me.

Fast forward a few days and somehow that person managed to bid and win the thing! Sure enough, the address on their ebay is to Israel so I sent them an invoice with the correct int'l shipping. They send me a message asking again if they sent it to Canada it'd be $18 or US for free? I told them I'm not comfortable with how it's going, I only will ship to a paypal address, to which they respond that they will see how to change their address in paypal.

I sent them a message basically saying that I think they should try to find the thing elsewhere because I'm uncomfortable with it. They just sent another one saying basically "Don't worry dear, I have family and friends in the US and Canada" Which really still does not put me at ease.

What do I do now? I really don't want to send it to him because honestly I feel like it's fishy and my gut is saying not to. It is worth around $40, so not a huge amount of money, but still. I'm not sure how to go about it. If I can somehow contact ebay about it or something?

Advertisement

Waldorf dolls and Natural toys for your little Keiki
Stocking the first Friday of the month at The Enchanted Toybox Congo

Mama to Annamarie (7/11) and Felicity (8/15)
Keiki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
A21Lee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ebay wwyd

I'm not sure what I would do in the situation other than trust your gut. One thing I can say is that a buyer can't just change their address once they've won something (they can, but the change will never show up visible on your end). When they pay, they can select another verified address, but it has to be confirmed. I had someone buy from me and they said that their address was wrong. I don't know how it got confirmed being incorrect. It wasn't an old address. The street numbers were wrong (so it obviously wouldn't match their credit card statement address, so how it got confirmed is beyond me). They said that they called ebay CS and they said I could send to the correct address she provided and that the email correspondence between us was enough that if there was a problem with receipt I had tracking to show I sent to the address she provided. It gets messy when you don't send to the confirmed address. You definitely have to protect yourself! Good luck!
A21Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
A21Lee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did you check out their feedback to see what other people have said?
A21Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Keiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A21Lee View Post
Did you check out their feedback to see what other people have said?
I hadn't thought of that, so I just did. They only have 20 feedback, but all were positive. Seems they're relatively new though as the oldest was in January and most of them are from this past month.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

This is likely an Israeli thing. My father, husband, basically whole family is Israeli, and they are ALWAYS looking for the cheapest deal! They travel a LOT, and my father-in-law even has stuff mailed to his friend in Germany and then picks it up there.

I get packages here at the house quite frequently, too. He picks stuff up when he visits and takes it back with him. Things in Israel are crazy expensive bc of all of the taxes. They have VAT, etc.

And he will bug the crap out of me for every little detail. Lol

Good luck. If you still don't feel comfortable, don't do it, but this is a way of life there. Also bargaining/bartering.
mommypockets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
hailey1312
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would send it to the US or Canada address. As long as they have paid you through paypal, it really shouldn't be a big deal. You are obligated to go through with the sale. Regardless of whether they want it sent to a different address than their paypal or not. Whose to say it's not a gift? They probably do have US relatives. Do the right thing and send it to them, (US or canada)
hailey1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

I dont think you are obligated to send it to any address they want, you have to ship to the address listed in PP
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
Keiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_run_with_scissors View Post
I dont think you are obligated to send it to any address they want, you have to ship to the address listed in PP
I agree, I'm not obligated to send it to just any address. Only the confirmed one in their paypal account, or else you are not covered by paypal (say if they lied and said they never got it but actually did and went and filed a claim, paypal would side with them and refund their money despite me saying I shipped it). I told them if they can have a confirmed address in their account that is something else then I will send it there. But I'm not going to just enter in any old address.

If for whatever reason they didn't get a different confirmed address then the invoice would stand with the international shipping. Then it would be their choice to not pay at which point I could cancel the sale.

Last edited by Keiki; 08-30-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

also if you said US only in your listing i dont think you are obligated to sell it to him at all honestly
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If they want to change their address, offer to refund and have them send payment with the 'correct' address. If you put US only, you're not even obligated to do that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailey1312 View Post
I would send it to the US or Canada address. As long as they have paid you through paypal, it really shouldn't be a big deal. You are obligated to go through with the sale. Regardless of whether they want it sent to a different address than their paypal or not. Whose to say it's not a gift? They probably do have US relatives. Do the right thing and send it to them, (US or canada)
To the bolded- It's a pretty big deal to be out shipping, the cost of the item and the item. That could easily happen if you send to a random address and the buyer files a claim.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote