Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #21
ChihuahuaMama13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty
The grovia hybrid inserts take FOREVER to dry...even in the dryer. Grovia AIO'S wont make it to PTing unless you've got a tiny one. That's all I can add.
Thanks mama

Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #22
McDMom
Registered Users

I've used all of those and they all have their good and bad points. Best bottoms is our diaper bag diaper because it's so trim and easy to pack. However it's short in the rise and doesn't fit my 2 year old. 6 month old uses them. Absorbency is great.
Grovias have a short rise too. They are trim and easy to wash but stain easily and aren't as soft as the others.
Simplex rocks!! The one size is great. Super absorbent. However, my two year old still outgrew them. The sized simplex fit her much better. Two things that bug me though are the staining issues (cotton stains badly but suns well) and the insert part gets wrinkly and sometimes doesn't lay flat on the sized ones.
Lastly, Freetimes. Great absorbency and good prices. Microfiber can be a problem but we've found a detergent that works for us. Two year old DD can still fit in them but barely.
That's the basics. Any specific questions and is be happy to answer.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #23
ChihuahuaMama13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDMom
I've used all of those and they all have their good and bad points. Best bottoms is our diaper bag diaper because it's so trim and easy to pack. However it's short in the rise and doesn't fit my 2 year old. 6 month old uses them. Absorbency is great.
Grovias have a short rise too. They are trim and easy to wash but stain easily and aren't as soft as the others.
Simplex rocks!! The one size is great. Super absorbent. However, my two year old still outgrew them. The sized simplex fit her much better. Two things that bug me though are the staining issues (cotton stains badly but suns well) and the insert part gets wrinkly and sometimes doesn't lay flat on the sized ones.
Lastly, Freetimes. Great absorbency and good prices. Microfiber can be a problem but we've found a detergent that works for us. Two year old DD can still fit in them but barely.
That's the basics. Any specific questions and is be happy to answer.
Awesome info, thank you! I'm glad you mentioned both Simplex. I was under the impresstion that the large was the same size as the largest setting on the OS based on retailer/manufacturer measurements.
I have a feeling I'll give microfiber a shot anyway. I've never had trouble with it, I just worry about getting it washed quick enough. Though I think I'll start working out a laundry schedule now so I can try it. Maybe I'll get 1 each Simplex, plus a Freetime and a new Tot Bots.

Last edited by ChihuahuaMama13; 09-01-2012 at 08:40 AM.
ChihuahuaMama13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #24
McDMom
Registered Users

Re: I just realized there are way too many cloth diaper choices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMama13 View Post
Awesome info, thank you! I'm glad you mentioned both Simplex. I was under the impresstion that the large was the same size as the largest setting on the OS based on retailer/manufacturer measurements.
I have a feeling I'll give microfiber a shot anyway. I've never had trouble with it, I just worry about getting it washed quick enough. Though I think I'll start working out a laundry schedule now so I can try it. Maybe I'll get 1 each Simplex, plus a Freetime and a new Tot Bots.
Because the OS is front snap and the Large is side snap, I find that they fit differently. Side snapping diapers usually fit longer in kids with high rises, which my DD has. Also the sized Simplex has stretchy sides which allows for more leeway in the thigh and waist fit.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #25
Traysee
Registered Users
seller

I have tried almost all of those on your list. I love my grovia AI2's with the stay dry inserts the most. I want to downsize my diaper stash and just stick with grovia. I would suggest trying a set on FSOT and seeing how long they take to air dry, I never air dry. It might take 2 days for them to dry.

They will take a long time to dry, but getting extra sets of inserts could help with that issue. If you have enough inserts you can let them take their time to dry. The shells dry fast, not as fast as unlined shells though... but faster than an AIO of course.

The AI2's will fit longer than the AIOs, which run a bit trimmer. The AI2s also have a gentler elastic. The aplix is super strong. I have a ton of snap diapers but have since developed a love for aplix. I have squirmy 15 month old twin girls. I was CDing them about 80-90% of the time and then got out of it for a while. I am just getting back to my cloth now that life has settled down. My grovia's never leak. I trust them during nap time with my stomach sleepers. I don't CD at night.

I will say that I frequently use my AI2's as AIOs. I bought several of my diapers as seconds, during the buy 2 get 1 free sales or on FSOT so I have a ton of diapers. Because the AI2's are lined with a mesh they really cant be wiped out like a PUL exposed shell. I wouldn't change a thing on those diapers though. I like the mesh liner so the PUL isn't touching the babies. I love the cut and the gentle elastic. I love that the inserts are waterproof. I love that you can switch between stay dry or cotton. I also love the feel of the outer fabric.

What I don't like about the other brands:

-Best Bottoms -The fit is ok. The diaper feels kind of "utility" because of the exposed PUL. The inserts are pricy, they need boosters, and not very soft. I feel like there are just too many steps/choices with BB inserts. I have had leaks with these.

-BG Freetimes - I haven't tried these but I don't love BG, I don't like the short stretchy tabs and I don't like the flaps they seem like they would bunch up and shift with a squirmy baby. I don't like how BG does that fold over adjustment stuff, I feel like it leaves an extra wad of fabric in their private area. I can't imagine that would be comfortable for them.

-Swaddlebees Simplex - I have the simplex II in medium. I don't like the cotton. It is stiff, not like grovias organic cotton which is soft. I also don't love the side snapping. The fit is weird on both of my girls. One who is small and thin and the other who is 50th percentile for height and weight. I will say they don't leak though. If they fit well for you then these would probably dry much faster than the Grovia inserts though.

Last edited by Traysee; 09-01-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Traysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #26
McDMom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traysee
I have tried almost all of those on your list. I love my grovia AI2's with the stay dry inserts the most. I want to downsize my diaper stash and just stick with grovia. I would suggest trying a set on FSOT and seeing how long they take to air dry, I never air dry. It might take 2 days for them to dry.

They will take a long time to dry, but getting extra sets of inserts could help with that issue. If you have enough inserts you can let them take their time to dry. The shells dry fast, not as fast as unlined shells though... but faster than an AIO of course.

The AI2's will fit longer than the AIOs, which run a bit trimmer. The AI2s also have a gentler elastic. The aplix is super strong. I have a ton of snap diapers but have since developed a love for aplix. I have squirmy 15 month old twin girls. I was CDing them about 80-90% of the time and then got out of it for a while. I am just getting back to my cloth now that life has settled down. My grovia's never leak. I trust them during nap time with my stomach sleepers. I don't CD at night.

I will say that I frequently use my AI2's as AIOs. I bought several of my diapers as seconds, during the buy 2 get 1 free sales or on FSOT so I have a ton of diapers. Because the AI2's are lined with a mesh they really cant be wiped out like a PUL exposed shell. I wouldn't change a thing on those diapers though. I like the mesh liner so the PUL isn't touching the babies. I love the cut and the gentle elastic. I love that the inserts are waterproof. I love that you can switch between stay dry or cotton.

What I don't like about the other brands:

-Best Bottoms -The fit is ok. The diaper feels kind of "utility" because of the exposed PUL. The inserts are pricy, they need boosters, and not very soft. I feel like there are just too many steps/choices with BB inserts. I have had leaks with these.

-BG Freetimes - I haven't tried these but I don't love BG, I don't like the short stretchy tabs and I don't like the flaps they seem like they would bunch up and shift with a squirmy baby. I don't like how BG does that fold over adjustment stuff, I feel like it leaves an extra wad of fabric in their private area. I can't imagine that would be comfortable for them.

-Swaddlebees Simplex - I have the simplex II in medium. I don't like the cotton. It is stiff, not like grovias organic cotton which is soft. I also don't love the side snapping. The fit is weird on both of my girls. One who is small and thin and the other who is 50th percentile for height and weight. I will say they don't leak though. If they fit well for you then these would probably dry much faster than the Grovia inserts though.
That's what is so hard about buying diapers if you don't see them first. Fit of the AI2s was horrible in my kids, red marks on the thighs and too much material between the legs. They were my least favorite. Like clothes, diaper fit really depends on your kiddos shape. My kids are tall with high rises but solid waists and chubby thighs. Side snapping works for us.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #27
Traysee
Registered Users
seller

Yeah and just when you do finally find a good fit they grow and their bodies change anyway LOL
Traysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #28
McDMom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traysee View Post
Yeah and just when you do finally find a good fit they grow and their bodies change anyway LOL
Ain't that the truth.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #29
adrianev83
Registered Users
seller

Our stash is pretty mixed because I had to try everything!

I line dry too and find the best bottom inserts dry pretty fast for us. The hemp inserts are nice and trim, they just take a bit longer to dry then the micro. Also, they're covers are great quality.
adrianev83 is offline   Reply With Quote