Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #21
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BLW...on WIC...95 jars a month ?!?

I don't understand. If you don't like or want things they offer, just don't get it.

I don't need all the milk alotted to my family, I do not believe in giving my infant anything processed, we have 26 chickens and don't need their crappy eggs and I don't believe in drinking juice.

So - we DO get $22/mo in fresh fruit and veggies, usually 2 gallons of milk a month (out of the 12 we're given), corn tortillas, a few pounds of cheese, lentils/beans and adams peanut butter.

I fail to see the problem with only using what you need/want/tolerate/wont waste and leaving the rest off to someone else. I do not ask them to alter my checks, I just tell the checker I know what was given and I got what I needed.

I do agree the jars are fun for crafts and projects though!

Advertisement

Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #22
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

because we got 5 gallons of milk each mont and maybe only use two to drink i make my own homemade yogurt (just google for homemade yogurt) its super easy. then i was thinking if my lo likes it when we start solids i can add the fruit purees to it then make frozen yogurt pops and such. the veggies might make good fillers for other foods as well
also i guess wic is ok for somethings but wtf can i do with 30 flippin oz of tuna every month? and the grains they offer have ingredient lists that go forever

Last edited by cassie.sattler; 09-06-2012 at 03:43 PM.
cassie.sattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #23
allhiskids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You can freeze the babyhood into small cubes that will fit into the mesh feeder for teething baby and hot summer. And fruits can be enjoyed frozen with a spoon poked in to make a popsicle. I ALS have added them to other foods. Veggie soup can be enhance by several assorted jars of veggies and it just makes your stock better. Don't over do it or you'll be caught

Kathy Mama to Isaac 7-25 , Grace , Charlie , Heather
allhiskids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #24
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhiskids View Post
You can freeze the babyhood into small cubes that will fit into the mesh feeder for teething baby and hot summer. And fruits can be enjoyed frozen with a spoon poked in to make a popsicle. I ALS have added them to other foods. Veggie soup can be enhance by several assorted jars of veggies and it just makes your stock better. Don't over do it or you'll be caught
Those are great ideas. I only get what we usually will use. I did get some new stuff to try, but he didn't like them, so I'll probably donate them. He eats plenty of actual veggies, so I'm not worried about whether he eats it pureed or not. Once they add meats, I'll probably get some, just to try. Might put some in spaghetti sauces or something, but if I'm not finding them useful, I'll just donate what I DID get and not get anymore. It's really easy to only get what you want/need. DD gets 8 gallons of soy milk a month, I usually buy 6 half gallons at a time and they last for the month and then some, so I dont' buy more until I need it.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #25
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

my dd actually really loves the baby food, but not the meats, so I am just not getting those. And the meats gross me out so I don't want to use them either lol. Oh and my older kids will totally eat the applesauce. My dd eats 2-3 jars a day and we still get too many, but with my older dd's eating the applesauce it works out
Old 09-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #26
AzulMariposa
Registered Users
seller

I use all of the milk and cheese, most of the tuna and rice, and about 75% of the cereal. I didnt mean to start a debate, just looking for ways to make use of what they give us. In our county they recommend donating what you dont need, so that is probably what i will do. I need to find a good place to donate, i am not a fan of how food banks around here are operated.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #27
MaBacon
Registered Users
seller

I got all fruit with my fruit/veggies we got 96/mth too. the walmart/target brand twin packs count as one ( so really we got almost 200-4oz size fruits a month!) so we bought those in applesauce. i used it to bake with or the other kids ate it at lunch/snack time too since it's just applesauce. Same as the motts packs or whatevery only with a lid instead of just the tin foil top!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #28
AzulMariposa
Registered Users
seller

Where are you? We cant get parents choice. It is strange. Milk and cheese they prefer generic, cereal and babyfood have to be name brands. I made apple cinnamon pancakes for everyong today with two jars of baby applesauce it was a huge success.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #29
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Some states let you do the pouches!! I wish ours did. I use a lot of the veggies to mix. If you dont over do it you cant taste it. Ive added carrots to eggs bc my dd wont touch a veggie. She LOVES it! Im gonna try freezing to make Popsicle for the baby think that a great idea maybe my 3 y/o would eat them too. Squash and carrots work well in mac n cheese too you cant taste it also in spaghetti
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #30
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

You can just get the applesauce. It's no different than any other apple sauce, so you don't have to worry about what to make with it...you can just eat it.

Course, you can just eat it anyway. Most baby food fruit is actually pretty tasty.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote