Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
How to dispose of some stuff?

I have cheapy knives that we don't need, but I don't know how to get rid of them. Do I box them up and write, "Knives" on the box? Any other ideas?

Advertisement

Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to dispose of some stuff?

Are they functional and you just don't want them? If so you could see if goodwill will take them. Or list them on CL.

If they aren't functional or you otherwise want to just throw them out, wrap them really tightly in lots of layers of heavy duty tape like duck tape, so they don't cut anyone and just throw them in the trash.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If they're not broken, take them to a donation center or list on freecycle or craigslist free section.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
TypeAMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They're functional, it's just that we kind of upgraded a bunch of years ago and I wasn't sure how to properly donate them. I'll see if I can find a smallish box to donate them in so no one gets cut.

Kinda related, how do you know what is donation material vs. trash? Sometimes I ask myself if I'd buy it, but that doesn't get me too far b/c I am parting with it anyway. Other times I wonder if it'd be good enough if I have very limited funds and just needed the basics. Like I have a blanket and pillows, like for a couch, that I'd like to move on, but there's a small tear in it along the seam and I don't want to make it worse by messily hand sewing it. What would you do?
Slave to my
Old 08-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeAMom View Post
Kinda related, how do you know what is donation material vs. trash? Sometimes I ask myself if I'd buy it, but that doesn't get me too far b/c I am parting with it anyway. Other times I wonder if it'd be good enough if I have very limited funds and just needed the basics. Like I have a blanket and pillows, like for a couch, that I'd like to move on, but there's a small tear in it along the seam and I don't want to make it worse by messily hand sewing it. What would you do?
I keep two piles - one for donation that I would put my children in, and one for donation that I would not. I give what I would NOT put my children in to the yellow clothing dumpsters.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

If you are not sure, just take it over to goodwill. They sell clothing they can't use to textile recyclers and get more money from that. Almost everything else they will toss out on their shelves and if it doesn't sell, they recycle what they can and trash what they have to. (at least, that's how it's SUPPOSED to work.)
Old 08-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Or another option, just list it on CL in the free section or on freecycle. You never ever know when someone could use what you would never use. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
TypeAMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Or another option, just list it on CL in the free section or on freecycle. You never ever know when someone could use what you would never use. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
I don't like inviting complete strangers to my house, though, so it doesn't usually seem worth it to me to get the kid ready at a certain time and wait for someone that might not show up. I totally agree w/ the saying, 'one man's trash is another man's treasure.' I often find stuff at thrift stores that I like and it's someone else's discards.
Slave to my
Old 08-31-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have given away at least a hundred items on craigslist and freecycle. There's pretty much always someone willing to come get stuff.

I've dealt with a lot of flakes, so here's what I've figured out: don't go with the first person, and set a very soon deadline.

The first person to respond usually stalks CL all day long and is first to lots of things they want. Most people assume going with the first person is the fair way to do it. But 80% of the time they flake. They like having the option of going to get something if they want, but usually they don't actually want to go through all the hassles to get out of their chair and drive across town to get something. Once I even had a person furious I wasn't giving her something because she was just sure she was the first. There is no rule about it, and I just told her the truth about my policy.

The next thing I do is set a deadline. Usually 24 hours away, although I sometimes make other arrangements with people. The longer someone waits the less likely they are to show up, even just a day or two they usually don't want to bother with it.

So when I list something I'll usually get 3 or 4 people. I'll pick whomever sounds the most likely to show up (closest, or most eager). I'll respond to that person with "great, please pick up by Saturday at 8pm. Here's the address, it's in the driveway." I'll respond to the other people with "pending until 8pm tomorrow." If the original person flakes, I've usually got someone else still saying they really want it and I just move on.

I'm not bothered by giving out my address. I only give it to one person at a time, and the object is at the end of the driveway anyways. I usually just use freecycle, and that has a little more of a community feel than the more anonymous craigslist. But go with whatever you're comfortable with. I like knowing that the item I'm giving away is going directly to someone that can use it rather than contributing to the landfill via goodwill.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote