Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Registered Users
Previously BF now FF

My LO is BF but I am certain I will soon have to transition to FF due to conflicts from medicine I may have to take. My LO is 4.5 months old and is a healthy, chunky 17+lb baby who is nearly 28" long. I think he gained a good portion his first couple months because of BF. If I switch him to formula will he run the risk of getting even chubbier? I always read that the first 4 months a baby is BF, they gain more weight and then babies who are FF gain more weight after 4 months. Anyone else who BF first and then FF and can give me some advice?

pezgrl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Previously BF now FF

both of my lo were bf for 9 months with supplementing of formula because of supply concerns related to my PCOS. Over the course of time the formula became a higher % of the oz they drank in a day. At 9 months both self weaned. My first is probably not the best ex of weight. He was 6lb 13 oz at birth was 6lb 4 leaving the hospital and sat at 6lb 4oz for 2 weeks until I started supplementing. He has always been a slow gainer. Even the last 3 months when he was totally formula he still was a skinny mickey. His entire 2nd year he has stayed 29lbs but has gotten taller (45% for weight 75% for height) HE EATS EVERYTHING

my second was 8lbs 7oz at birth dropped to 7lbs 10oz Dr recommended supplementing we where 90%bf with just a little formula at 6 months he was 17ish to 18 lbs 50%bf 50% formula 9 months 18 pounds only formula. He was 75% weigh and now is below 50% but I cant quite remember the exact.

My guys both slimmed even more once they started crawling.
Tara~Married to my wonderful DH and mama to my DS#1 4 years old and DS#2 2 years old
TaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I didn't seem to notice that with my first. I only bf for about the same time but it was a loosing battle. I switched & it all went ok & not huge gains. Mine had a fairly high metabolism compared to me not like my second but still better than I from dad side......
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I EBF my DD for 4 months and had to switch to formula due to the fact that she was eating double what I could produce! I had to pump because she would not latch. So we switched to formula. She has not gained a bunch of weight since switching. She is 9 months now and around 22 lbs. I would say her weight gain has pretty much been steady and nothing changed when I had to switch over. I did have to use a sensitive formula because she was used to the easier to digest breast milk as opposed to formula.
katherineemmons is offline   Reply With Quote