Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
jcka_mor
Registered Users
seller

Ammonia with SBish overnight

I just started using the SBish snapless for overnight and it works great. Then I had a really horrble ammonia smell one morning . A friend of mine said she stopped using SBish because she would get bad ammonia with them. Has anyone else experienced this? I just bought two more since we liked them so much and don't know what to do. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement

jcka_mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

I don't know if it's ammonia smell (barnyard??) that I just started getting with our sbish fitted and other bamboo fitteds but it's driving me nuts too! I stopped using them for the last two nights and might try a cotton fitted under wool covers and see if it makes a difference. I'm not willing to change the way I wash diapers for the sake of the 3 bamboo nighttime diapers that are giving me this problem!!
Dancy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ammonia with SBish overnight

Bamboo is super absorbent and gets the stinkies easily. I use mostly sbish and have stinkies once in awhile. I just use a teaspoon of dawn as a pre rinse. Here's a good link on it. http://noexpectationsmeansnodisappoi...boo-cloth.html
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
goMamaMel
Registered Users

i had this same exact problem. I posted here on ds and was advised by other mamas to switch detergents. Im super crazy and much prefer natural detergents over the more mainstream ones, but it was worth the switch when it was between that and switching to disposables at night. I was using a rinsing detergent (planetwise) and i switched to all free and clear, which is still a diaper safe detergent. I also started using the full amount of detergent instead of just a couple of tablespoons. Once i did this, the ammonia stink went away completely. I think they just weren't getting clean.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Ughh, really? I think in my case is rather find a different night diaper than switch detergents! I really don't like using mainstream ones and we didn't long before we ha ds
Old 08-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
dawnp15
Registered Users
seller

I just prepped my first sbish fitted and i'm a little nervous now that i read this I do use tide though, so maybe that will help keep the stinkies away. DS is leaking through everything at night, so i'm desperate to find something. He's 7 months 20lbs and even leaked through a size 5 sposie! He nurses a lot throughout the night, so he pee's a ton, i'm starting to wonder if i will ever find something to last all night long.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
LilyOlivesMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnp15 View Post
I just prepped my first sbish fitted and i'm a little nervous now that i read this I do use tide though, so maybe that will help keep the stinkies away. DS is leaking through everything at night, so i'm desperate to find something. He's 7 months 20lbs and even leaked through a size 5 sposie! He nurses a lot throughout the night, so he pee's a ton, i'm starting to wonder if i will ever find something to last all night long.

DS is 10 mo 20 lbs, we've been using Sbish with wool soaker overnight for a week now with no issues. I wash in Tide as well. Fred, too was peeing thru a size 5. but nursing less at night recently... I really hope we don't get stink!
LilyOlivesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Same here and I use a powerful mainstream detergent and bleach. They just stunk in the morning, so I decided against using them. Wonderful diapers though!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24
Same here and I use a powerful mainstream detergent and bleach. They just stunk in the morning, so I decided against using them. Wonderful diapers though!
Yup, ours smell fine until the morning too, and I do love everything about them, but we bedshare and I really can't stand being woken up by that stinky butt fragrance! I tried a cotton prefold with a flip stay dry inside it and a wool cover over top last night and had no stink!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancy Baby View Post
Yup, ours smell fine until the morning too, and I do love everything about them, but we bedshare and I really can't stand being woken up by that stinky butt fragrance! I tried a cotton prefold with a flip stay dry inside it and a wool cover over top last night and had no stink!
We ended up just using huggies at night. I just got sick if trying new nighttime solutions