Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #11
lildutch1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Microfiber inserts no longer absorbing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycat42 View Post
I guess I will be in the minority. I prefer older microfiber. It feels rougher and absorbs faster. I think new microfiber doesn't hold nearly as much. The older mf also holds the moisture in tighter and the new mf can squish it out easier(compression leaks.) I think you should wash your inserts alone with double the soap once or twice with bleach.
I always dry my mf on super hot.
I think you might try washing them with a different detergent too. Think of how great your hair feels when you switch shampoos. Some detergents don't attack every kind of soil there is out there. Don't give up on your Mf!
This has been my experience thus far. I bought some new ones thinking the old ones surely needed replacing...instead the weren't as absorbant and I got compression leaks...but I am still a newbie.

Advertisement

lildutch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Not all microfiber is created equal though too. Some isn't as absorbent.
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #13
lildutch1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m&m
This is a very valid point
lildutch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #14
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m&m View Post
Very true, if it's too fluffy it never absorbs very much as all. Some inserts I got from china via eBay are like this. I won't even use them as doublers.
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #15
NiftyB
Registered Users
seller

Hmmm...I'm using Knickernappies... Which are made in the USA and I feel the diapers are high quality so assumed the inserts are too. They are much flatter and rougher than the Charlie Banana and FB inserts I have though. Not sure what to do...
NiftyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #16
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiftyB View Post
Hmmm...I'm using Knickernappies... Which are made in the USA and I feel the diapers are high quality so assumed the inserts are too. They are much flatter and rougher than the Charlie Banana and FB inserts I have though. Not sure what to do...
What is your wash routine?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #17
NiftyB
Registered Users
seller

I do a short hot wash/cold rinse with no detergent, then a long hot wash with cold rinse (my only option) with almost to the 1 line of Tide original HE powder, then a sort hot rinse. I hang dry all the PUL and dry inserts, wipes, prefolds, etc. on high heat.
NiftyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #18
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we usually replace ours every 6 months or so, they become rags for cleaning. we use the towels from walmart
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiftyB View Post
I do a short hot wash/cold rinse with no detergent, then a long hot wash with cold rinse (my only option) with almost to the 1 line of Tide original HE powder, then a sort hot rinse. I hang dry all the PUL and dry inserts, wipes, prefolds, etc. on high heat.
How about washing your inserts separately for two washes. Do you have a He washer? Unless you have a very small machine or run small loads I don't think to the number 1 is enough to actually get your inserts clean. Do you have any washing soda? If you can't find any some one just posted a link on how to make your own in the oven using baking soda. Wash you inserts with bleach as much as you can like 1 cup. Bleach does not hurt microfiber. Use double the soap and a 1/2 cup of washing soda. Then wash again with regular amount of soap and washing soda and a 1/4 cup of bleach then rinse twice.
so basically you would be stripping your inserts without dawn. The washing soda is a detergent booster. I used it in every wash and I have never had to strip my diapers in over a year. Occasionally when I wait too long in between washes and then I just wash them twice. I have noticed microfiber does take more soap to get clean than cotton.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #20
GrantsMommmy
Registered Users

I'm having the same problem! My 3 month old mf inserts aren't absorbing at all. I was thinking my hard water ruined them because I haven't been using Calgon or vinegar to soften my water (I am now), but that's just a guess. I'm pretty sure it's not buildup. I'm switching to all bamboo inserts because they absorb really well. I figured I could keep trying to revive my mf but I always hear everyone complaining about mf anyway so I might as well take the plunge and get all bamboo and hopefully solve my problem.
GrantsMommmy is offline   Reply With Quote