Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
GMD flats - bleached or unbleached? Compare to Flip Organic in trimness/absorbency?

Hi!

I'm leaning towards bleached GMD flats to padfold mainly because the GMD website says the edges lay flatter with bleached instead of the unbleached. But it seems most people prefer unbleached. Why? Is there a difference in absorbency? Also - can you compare how trim a padfolded small GMD flat is compared to a Flip Organic?

I've taken a bit of a break from CD'ing because I couldn't keep things simple and affordable. I'm looking to start again with baby #2 due in January, and maybe start with DS1 again as well. I need to find something that is simple and that works and then stay far, far away from FSOT.

I've settled on Flips for covers. I've used them before, like them, cheap and reliable, so that's it. Now, onto inserts.

I have soft water so I need something that washes up well without holding residue. I already have a full stash of alva bamboo inserts that I might use, but they tend to bunch up when wet. Also considering Flip Organics, but I know I'd need to modify them by cutting them down for the smaller size baby because they are so bulky padfolded on a little one.

It seems people love padfolded flats in Flips and they say they are trim. Are they really trim? I've used GMD prefolds trifolded before and to me they were bulky. I've grown really picky. And really, how absorbent? Right now my plan is to get a stash of 24 GMD beached small flats to padfold, and use the alva bamboo as a doubler when needed. Thoughts? Pictures of your padfolded GMD in a Flip would be even better!

Oh - and I'd start using them about 15ish pounds - I have a full stash of BG AIO in size XS and S to use first.

Advertisement

Come SWAG with me! I'm earning $25 a month in amazon gift cards by searching and taking surveys!

Last edited by ebandive; 08-31-2012 at 09:59 PM.
ebandive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
IME, anything that isn't snapped in will bunch a little. (Just in case that sways you to not buy the flats at all.) We have used Diaper Rite unbleached and their edges were so-so (some lay really flat while others are a bit crinkly). Our Osocozys have stayed pretty flat but the flats themselves are little. I have never heard of this difference re: bleached and unbleached. We also use Thirsties hemp PFs and Flip organic inserts in our flats and have used regular cotton PFs - all of these things get a little bunched in the front after they're wet.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #3
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: GMD flats - bleached or unbleached? Compare to Flip Organic in trimness/absorbenc

I use pad folded unbleached GMD small flats in flip covers. They work great. They bunch a little but not as badly as the Alva inserts (I have tried those too.

Here are some pics I took the other day to compare the padfolded GMD to trifolded prefold (the prefold is a medium).

In my opinion, they fit great in the flips, are plenty absorbent, and will meet your washing requirements. Here are a few measurements I took for another mama, as they may help someone looking at this thread too: prepped dimensions 25x27
Pad folded the short way the rise measures 12.5. Pad folded the long way rise is 13.5

Last edited by stephcrouse; 09-01-2012 at 05:45 AM.
stephcrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: GMD flats - bleached or unbleached? Compare to Flip Organic in trimness/absorbenc

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephcrouse View Post
I use pad folded unbleached GMD small flats in flip covers. They work great. They bunch a little but not as badly as the Alva inserts (I have tried those too.

Here are some pics I took the other day to compare the padfolded GMD to trifolded prefold (the prefold is a medium).

In my opinion, they fit great in the flips, are plenty absorbent, and will meet your washing requirements. Here are a few measurements I took for another mama, as they may help someone looking at this thread too: prepped dimensions 25x27
Pad folded the short way the rise measures 12.5. Pad folded the long way rise is 13.5
Super helpful, thanks!! They really do look trim! I LOVE the trimness of the alva bamboo, but they really do bunch pretty badly and that can cause leaks. Thanks for your advise!

So, my other question: Bleached VS Unbleached. Anyone care to weigh in?

Come SWAG with me! I'm earning $25 a month in amazon gift cards by searching and taking surveys!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Pad folded flats are great. Yes they will bunch some but this has never been an issue for the most part. The small ones are very trim and have been adequete for daytime diapering from birth to PLing. The difference between bleached and unbleached is pretty much personal preference. I almost always get unbleached because it is softer but as far as absorbency I don't notice any difference. There really is no comparison between a Flip organic and a flat though in performance. The Flip is much, much more absorbent on it's own. We use them for nights for 2 children and all alone just the Flip gets them through 10-12 hours without leaks. I am able to get the same performance with either 2 flats or a flat and 2 Hemp doublers.

I would not cut it at all though. It is meant to be OS since you can fold it two different ways. It is bulky on a small baby so we never really used it for anything other than nights when DD was an infant. I do think anything other than a snappied flat or prefold is obviously going to be more bulky on a LO. But by 15 lbs they should be just fine.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
Pad folded flats are great. Yes they will bunch some but this has never been an issue for the most part. The small ones are very trim and have been adequete for daytime diapering from birth to PLing. The difference between bleached and unbleached is pretty much personal preference. I almost always get unbleached because it is softer but as far as absorbency I don't notice any difference. There really is no comparison between a Flip organic and a flat though in performance. The Flip is much, much more absorbent on it's own. We use them for nights for 2 children and all alone just the Flip gets them through 10-12 hours without leaks. I am able to get the same performance with either 2 flats or a flat and 2 Hemp doublers.

I would not cut it at all though. It is meant to be OS since you can fold it two different ways. It is bulky on a small baby so we never really used it for anything other than nights when DD was an infant. I do think anything other than a snappied flat or prefold is obviously going to be more bulky on a LO. But by 15 lbs they should be just fine.
Thanks for the advise!

As far as the Flip Organics go, I agree that I love their absorbency and they were our night time and nap time solution. Maybe it was just the shape of DS1, but no matter how I folded it, either it made the cover gap the legs until he to 25ish pounds. I was just going to serge a little off the sides and top so it would work for us earlier on. Maybe I won't have that issue with the next kid though. Thanks!