Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #21
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Re: September ~~Garden Chat thread~~

thanks for all the garlic info! i will definitely look for some hardneck garlic to plant. i'd read that fall planting was best for garlic, so i'm thinking sometime mid-october, it'll go where my summer squash, tomatillos, and green peppers are now.

baker creek does NOT sell them. they're my go-to as well. seed savers does though, so i'm looking at probably getting some from there.

Advertisement

Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Gosh, I wish it was less complex to ship plants/seeds over the border, or I would totally share our garlic as we have saved lots for planting again this fall.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #23
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liadan23
thanks for all the garlic info! i will definitely look for some hardneck garlic to plant. i'd read that fall planting was best for garlic, so i'm thinking sometime mid-october, it'll go where my summer squash, tomatillos, and green peppers are now.

baker creek does NOT sell them. they're my go-to as well. seed savers does though, so i'm looking at probably getting some from there.
Ah, good to know, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own
Old 09-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #24
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh, and I have another question. I planted some carrots and lettuce about 2 weeks ago, but 95% of the seeds I planted didn't sprout. Is it still too hot to plant them? I'm in zone 7, and it's still into the high 80s to low 90s during the day here. Should I try again in a few weeks?

Old 09-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #25
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Beth, haveing the same problem. I think for us it was the drought. We just havn't had any rain and now we're getting drenched. Days of now. ALL of my ripe or even blushing maters split wide open. I took a pic of a cabbage a min ago, I'll post it this week. The cabbage split compleatly open. Just exploded. I have never seen anything like that.

Oh Lordy, I'd LOVE some good garlic to plant! It's a shame it is such a problem with the shipping thing, cost too.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #26
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9
Beth, haveing the same problem. I think for us it was the drought. We just havn't had any rain and now we're getting drenched. Days of now. ALL of my ripe or even blushing maters split wide open. I took a pic of a cabbage a min ago, I'll post it this week. The cabbage split compleatly open. Just exploded. I have never seen anything like that.

Oh Lordy, I'd LOVE some good garlic to plant! It's a shame it is such a problem with the shipping thing, cost too.
I haven't even looked to see how much the garlic costs, lol. We're on a super tight budget too.

I think I'll get another packet of lettuce and try to replant now that we've had some rain and it's starting to cool down. The worst that can happen is that I've wasted a dollar or two, right?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #27
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Beth give the seeds one more week. Carrots and lettuce are notorious for taking a long time to sprout in too-hot conditions.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel. There's blight... everywhere!!!! Nothing yesterday and then all over my heirloom tomatoes today.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #28
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Beth give the seeds one more week. Carrots and lettuce are notorious for taking a long time to sprout in too-hot conditions.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel. There's blight... everywhere!!!! Nothing yesterday and then all over my heirloom tomatoes today.
Will do Liz! Thanks for the heads up

I have already pulled all of my tomatoes up except for my heirlooms, I just can't bear to do it yet!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #29
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegirl75 View Post
I haven't even looked to see how much the garlic costs, lol. We're on a super tight budget too.

I think I'll get another packet of lettuce and try to replant now that we've had some rain and it's starting to cool down. The worst that can happen is that I've wasted a dollar or two, right?

Us too. That's the reasion I went with organic store bought hard neck. It was very affordable. I had to keep it in the pantry for a while to dry out. I don't know if you can plant before it's dried? I think it was in there around 5-6 months? I'm freezing food because I can't afford more jars atm. I think it's best though because I'm freed up to do other things that need to be done. I agree with Liz, more time. Now it's raining, my things that were in there for a while are finally starting to grow. It was just too dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post

AHHHH. We have the SAME dag-um problem with the ^%^*&^&&*( powdery mildew! I replanted all kinds of stuff. It has it now. Even the gourds got it!!!! They were getting sooo big. Now all the pumpkins and melons have it! APHIDS/ANTS! I can't get rid of them and they are on EVERYTHING! I can't even pick my chinese long beans This has been my #1 worst gardening year. I have lost way over half of the plants I started. I am about ready to take a second mortgage on the house for a sterile green house, hahahaha!!! JK!

Today.... oh today. Well, got 2 moles cut off and then burned. Also got a huge planters wart cut out of my finger and burned. It's soooo deep. My finger is like ice and all bruised up. Like a dead finger. Then we went to Mr. Bohanans. I LOVE this man! Poor fella works SOOO hard! he gave William $25 for the work, we won't accept it. He did give me more apples though! Ray like, nooooo, it's ok. And he started hollering, your gonna take it, you never want anything. I'm giveing them to you and your gonna take them! Soooo sweet! Heart of gold! We had some kittens.....one wittle blk/wht bob-tail allways finds William. So, we have a kitty now. I'm allergic, but she'll be an outdoor girl. We need to get her spayed asap. Another bill. We really need a mouser though. She's in Megs big dog pen in the kitchen. I'll transition her to outside slowly today. I just want her to get a little comfy first. I'm scared she will run off. I named her apple blossom.

Oh!! William fed a cow and the whole angus farm came running. I guess they LOVE those apples, lol. The whole herd was at the fence for the 2 hours we were there mooing away! One was very pregnant. William asked me, "Did she swallow a baby?"!!!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #30
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't have any golf balls, but I do have easter eggs or large rocks. In a last ditch effort to get them to lay, I"m putting some of these in the nesting boxes.

This is getting riducalous at 27 weeks.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote