Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #1
stella072
Registered Users
seller

Cosleeping: Do you use a bolster?

My DD is 7 mos old & isn't very interested in rolling over & crawling yet - though she can roll over if she's in the mood. We have a king size bed & haven't had any trouble with close calls involving her falling out of bed, but I know she'll be moving around a lot more any day now. For those of you that cosleep, do you use a bolster to prevent falls? Which one do you recommend?
Thanks mamas

Advertisement

stella072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
kochanyk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cosleeping: Do you use a bolster?

With both kids, we've just put our matress on the floor at about 5 mo (early crawlers) and then switched it back around 18-24 mo.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:13 AM   #3
Amanda2319
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just saw a piece you can order that goes under the mattress. I may have to get one for nights DH is away, Cassie is starting to crawl. With my other two, I stacked pillows on the floor , no one ever fell off though.

Amanda2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:56 AM   #4
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wish dh would have let me put the mattress on the floor! When it got to the point that I was worried about DJ rolling off the bed, I just started putting him in the middle between us. He's still there...

He did roll/crawl/fall of the bed once when dh wasn't in bed but it's like that clarified for him where the edge is and now he has no problems even when he's in the bed by himself, even when he's sleeping. DH is always worried because DJ will push and push to get to that side of the bed and dh is scared to death that if he's not there DJ will go right off the edge but he never does.

James has never cared much for cosleeping...when he was really little I would let him sleep in the crook of my arm on the edge side of the bed because I was afraid of putting him on DJ's side. Now that he's big enough to possibly roll/crawl off, I figure he's big enough to defend himself so on the rare occasions that he winds up in our bed, I put him in the middle too.
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:13 AM   #5
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 7 month old is crawling all over. Right now we still have his arm's reach co-sleeper pressed up against my side and a wall / bureau so he can't fall off that side. He would have to crawl over my husband to get off his side.. .LOL. But I do think he'd crawl right off the end of the bed if he had the chance. We are going to get bed rails I guess - I think those bolsters might take up too much room in our bed.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

I bought a bed rail for a toddler bed. I stuffed a rolled up towel in the gap between the mattress & the rail and it was fine. My mattress is also low (no box spring) and I have dog beds on either side of the bed.

The 1 time she fell off (before the rail) she fell onto the dog bed so it was less than 8in drop onto a soft surface.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
lilgamoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we shoved our bed against the wall.

RHONDA~ tradin',music lovin',sewing ,hooping hippie WAHM
lilgamoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
JRo
Registered Users

My Mood:

I use a bedrail. I don't trust my hubby not to roll on top of little guy.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds is not very good at being aware of the edge of the bed. He's a "move first, think later" kind of kid - LOL! We got rid of our bedframe/headboard and boxspring a few months ago and have our queen mattress right on the floor. I have pillows all along my side since it's a hardwood floor - even the 8-inch drop would not be nice onto a hard floor. Ds starts the night between us, but once dh gets up in the morning I move ds over so he's between me and the side with the pillows. The head of our bed is against the wall (tight) and he hasn't gotten himself anywhere near the foot of the bed yet.

It works well. I hate how it looks, though. I love our headboard and footboard so I miss them! Oh well, it's temporary!
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #10
EvansMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use a bedrail and I sleep in the middle with Evan on one side, and DH on the other. Although - the rail may as well not even be there, Evan's usually laying across me and not too worried about going too far away from me...haha