Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #131
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I mean, cruel, and heartless?

I haven't read past page 1, so not sure if we're still on topic. But my DD (5-kindy) often waits until the last second. Yes, she needs to work on that issue, but she's learning. She hates using the bathroom (no clue why-same way at home). I'm grateful her classroom has a private bathroom in the room. I assume they can go whenever they need. At that age, they need a bit more leniency.

I know I have to pee every 45 minutes. I drink a TON of water (1-2 gallons/day). I have continual thirst, so I'm constantly drinking. I also have Crohn's, but that's a whole other issue. Luckily, I didn't have to deal with that in school, until college. At that point, I registered with the disabled student services and had a note from them for all my professors allowing me to leave the room at ANY time (even during tests) for bathroom breaks.

Advertisement

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #132
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~happy2Bamommy~
I would expect a teacher to let my child go if they asked to.

I would also expect my child not to ask unless they had to go.

If the teachers suspects that a child is abusing the time they say they are in the restroom, she should figure out if they actually are. It should be pretty easy to accomplish that.
Agreeeeeeeed!

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 09-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #133
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove921 View Post
Well of course not. But I would hope my daughter used her time wisely and checked her pad in between classes. Were talking about a "child" who's menstruating, she's probably old enough to know her flow and to double check. I wouldnt agree with making a 5 yr old wait, cause as was pointed out, they wait till the last possible second, and normally cant hold it 5 more minutes. But a high school student, can probably wait.
Actually I just read in my text book today that many young adults (pre-teens and teens) who are menstrating will have irregular flow until a few years into menstration. Which was certainly true for me as my flow was all over the place from when I started (I think I was 11) until I was about 18. And even now at almost 30 I've had some suprises with my flow (that could also be due to 2 kids). Also pointed out in this thread were people who had heavy flows during school. Just because you checked it doesn't mean 30 minutes later a leak won't happen (pads slip and move).
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #134
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma

Actually I just read in my text book today that many young adults (pre-teens and teens) who are menstrating will have irregular flow until a few years into menstration. Which was certainly true for me as my flow was all over the place from when I started (I think I was 11) until I was about 18. And even now at almost 30 I've had some suprises with my flow (that could also be due to 2 kids). Also pointed out in this thread were people who had heavy flows during school. Just because you checked it doesn't mean 30 minutes later a leak won't happen (pads slip and move).
I agree with this.I'm 33 and my cycle isn't always regular. And I don't always get cramps.I was shocked to go to the bathroom yesterday and discover I'd gotten af.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #135
MarieSeeking
Registered Users
seller

I read about half the responses. I teach 5th and 6th graders. They have 3 scheduled bathroom breaks throughout the day (small school, they change classes, but there aren't bells or passing periods.) They are also allowed free access to water in reusable bottles at their desk and fresh fruits and veggies throughout the day, anytime they want (student provided). Needless to say, they pee a lot but 3 scheduled breaks a day is usually enough for most kids. I have some kids that get that look and they don't even have to say anything to me....I'll just mouth "go" and they leave. We have also talked on depth about what an emergency is...boys and girls separately. We have showed them how to tell a friend they have an emergency and run to the restroom. I feel like setting kids up for success is vital.
MarieSeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #136
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove921

Well of course not. But I would hope my daughter used her time wisely and checked her pad in between classes. Were talking about a "child" who's menstruating, she's probably old enough to know her flow and to double check. I wouldnt agree with making a 5 yr old wait, cause as was pointed out, they wait till the last possible second, and normally cant hold it 5 more minutes. But a high school student, can probably wait.
I started my period at 8, hardly HS. And unless you have a clockwork period or started at home, there may not be a pad in place to check.

That's my point. There are exceptions to everything. And while most fall into the majority and don't have issue, the extremes on either end are ridiculous. Having a no across the board for a set time policy is crazy to me, as is the same kid asking 15x a day without a medical issue or note from parents.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 09-05-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #137
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
I started my period at 8, hardly HS. And unless you have a clockwork period or started at home, there may not be a pad in place to check.

That's my point. There are exceptions to everything. And while most fall into the majority and don't have issue, the extremes on either end are ridiculous. Having a no across the board for a set time policy is crazy to me, as is the same kid asking 15x a day without a medical issue or note from parents.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Well yea, there should be exceptions. But not everyday multiple times a day. I've never taught older than preschool. But I remember everyday, every 5 minutes someone has to go to the bathroom, I imagine for the teacher that's a problem.
I'd support a time limit as long as true emergencies were allowed to go.