Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I mean, cruel, and heartless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
I agree. I think it is cruel to deny anyone a restroom for any reason at any age. "normal" or not.
I was very clear in my OP. I never mentioned such a thing. Here, I will quote myself:

Quote:
To be clear, I don't support the idea of denying access to the bathroom for a child who needs it even if it is because the child did not use their bathroom time for toileting when they had it. I am ok with a teacher placing restrictions on the usage. "No, Johnny, you went just 30 minutes ago and we will go as a class in 15 more minutes." I am ok with a teacher structuring her rules so that there are consequences for failing to plan well as long as it is reasonable and age appropriate.
Thinking on it more though, I absolutely am ok with a teacher telling a student she/he recognizes is abusing the restroom priviledge to knock it off. There were kids I went to school with that did do this. They would take the pass and wander the halls for half of the period. That is not acceptable.

Advertisement

Last edited by mcpforever; 09-01-2012 at 04:42 PM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm pretty sure my bladder is the size of a teacup. If I drink say 2 glasses of water with lunch I will pee about 3-5 times because of it.

In school, teachers thought I was using the bathroom as an excuse to leave the classroom (granted I'm certain sometimes I was) and I did end up going in my pants a few times as a result. By junior high I developed an unhealthy habit of not drinking anything during the day to avoid embarrassment.

I don't think what you are saying is unreasonable at all! I know not everyone is like me and I'd classify myself as"unhealthy" because of how often I have to go.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #13
Rockinmama24
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever

In all honesty, I wouldn't consider that completely normal. My SIL has "the world's smallest bladder" (her words) and has to go a lot more frequently than your average person. Her mother wrote her teachers a note every year and explained it. Thankfully, her teachers took her mother seriously and made exceptions for her.

Diarrhea doesn't fall under healthy and normal.

It seems to me that dealing with menstrual products falls into the same category of learning to plan for toileting. Most girls start out pretty light for their first few cycles and have plenty of time to learn when to change their products.
Not my girls! Right from their 1st cycle they can go through an overnight pad in less than an hour. Awkward when you're in middle school. My kids have been told if you truly need to use the restroom & are denied that they are to walk out of the room, use the facilities & I will deal with the teacher. It has only happened once & I did deal with said teacher who is no longer employed.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 09-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #14
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmama24 View Post
Not my girls! Right from their 1st cycle they can go through an overnight pad in less than an hour. Awkward when you're in middle school. My kids have been told if you truly need to use the restroom & are denied that they are to walk out of the room, use the facilities & I will deal with the teacher. It has only happened once & I did deal with said teacher who is no longer employed.

That would be why I used the word "most." I am aware there are always exceptions. I am a bit surprised though. I was always told by my OB that going through a large pad in over an hour warranted a call to her office.

But again, I am not in agreement with denying restroom access.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #15
33andunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's the thing though; you can't tell who has a normal or healthy bladder. Some students may not know if their bathrooms needs are "normal". It took my brother almost 30 years to find out he had ulcerative colitus. I certainly wouldn't want my parent to send a letter to my teacher (s) explaining my bladder habits or otherwise. That is brutal!
Old 09-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #16
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:

I was very clear in my OP. I never mentioned such a thing. Here, I will quote myself:

Thinking on it more though, I absolutely am ok with a teacher telling a student she/he recognizes is abusing the restroom priviledge to knock it off. There were kids I went to school with that did do this. They would take the pass and wander the halls for half of the period. That is not acceptable.
Still think its cruel. A bathroom is not a privlege in my eyes. It is a right. 5 minutes ago, 30 minutes ago doesnt matter.

And really if a kid takes a bathroom pass and is gone for more than 5 minutes then a teacher or aide should go make sure everything is ok. If the kid is wandering the halls then yes, they should be punished etc.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #17
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

I can't imagine restricting anybody's toilet needs, even "normal, healthy" kids. A kid won't always say "hey, I have diarrhea so I need extra toilet time today" or "I'm paranoid that I will bleed through my pad and humiliate myself, so can I go check?" And really, nobody should have to justify their need to visit the restroom, anyways.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #18
Rockinmama24
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:

That would be why I used the word "most." I am aware there are always exceptions. I am a bit surprised though. I was always told by my OB that going through a large pad in over an hour warranted a call to her office.

But again, I am not in agreement with denying restroom access.
They've both been checked & it's normal. I had the same issue for years. Just standing up could soak an overnight pad.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

bottom line if someone wants to be excused to the bathroom then they should be treated wit dignity and allowed to go.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #20
Rockinmama24
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boheme
I can't imagine restricting anybody's toilet needs, even "normal, healthy" kids. A kid won't always say "hey, I have diarrhea so I need extra toilet time today" or "I'm paranoid that I will bleed through my pad and humiliate myself, so can I go check?" And really, nobody should have to justify their need to visit the restroom, anyways.
Lol, I know! My dd has selective mutism & pdd nos, & anxiety. There is no way in hell she is giving that info to a teacher, let alone a male teacher. It takes all she has just to ask to use the facilities in general.