View Poll Results: Did you pack cloth diapers for your hospital birth?
Yes! And I would do it again. 23 35.94%
Yes, but I wouldn't in the future. 4 6.25%
Yes, I am expecting my first and packing cloth. 2 3.13%
No, I just use sposies. 35 54.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #21
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did you pack cloth diapers for the hospital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
In most US hospitals Pampers are provided. However I don't think people realize that they are not free. You really are paying for them. This will depend on your insurance if you see that cost of out pocket though. Like last time we had met our deductible but for sure if you look at that itemized list they are on there. If they open it, you pay for it and if you don't take it with you then they throw the rest of the pack away. So if you're going to use some then might as well use them all. I just personally have an issue with using disposables and I have the cloth so I'm going to use it.
Gotcha. That makes me feel better, lol.
It's not that they won't give you any diapers if you have none, but they do ask that you bring some in their info pack. But they don't make baby go diaper-less if you have none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
I did do diaper laundry as soon as we got home but I always feel great after having my babies so by 2 days old doing laundry was no big deal for me.
Really, newborns don't go through that many diapers in the first few days. We were in hospital 1.5 days with Levi and I don't think we had one full wet bag when we came home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquielcf View Post
No. I brought Seventh Gen to the hospital. We were only there 24 hours after birth and didn't want black tar poo on cloth.
I hear people say that all the time, but we had absolutely no stains from the mec. Now, breastmilk poo - that stains like the d!ckens! But it also suns out like magic!

Advertisement

canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You need an other-- I have cloth packed but will use disposables while in the hospital. Cloth is for the way home.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #23
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
In most US hospitals Pampers are provided. However I don't think people realize that they are not free. You really are paying for them. This will depend on your insurance if you see that cost of out pocket though. Like last time we had met our deductible but for sure if you look at that itemized list they are on there. If they open it, you pay for it and if you don't take it with you then they throw the rest of the pack away. So if you're going to use some then might as well use them all. I just personally have an issue with using disposables and I have the cloth so I'm going to use it.
Ditto this. I have used cloth from birth with my 2 younger ones. With my second I asked for an itemized bill of everything we were charged for and we were actually charged $32 for a pack of disposable diaper. I am doubtful that the tiny little packs of diapers would cost $32 anyway but we didn't use them. We were able to get the charge dropped along with many other things they charged us for that we didn't get (hep b, eye ointment, lactation services) I highly recommend asking for a detailed statement!

But we used cloth and it was no problem. I would say in the 24 hours that we were in the hospital each kid maybe used 3 or 4 diapers so there wasn't a ton of diaper laundry and meconium washes out much easier than breastmilk poop.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #24
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We just used the hosp sposies and then started CDs when those were finished. I wanted to take the least amt w/ us as we could.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #25
MaiosameruMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dad works for the hospital I deliver at..so sposies all the way. I swear those nurses packed our bag full when they saw my dad's badge! I found diapers in places I didn't stash them o.0;;
MaiosameruMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #26
huntressxx
Registered Users

My Mood:
Yep we did. Didn't want chemicals on the baby at. All....
Gonna be Cloth Diapering A Newborn August 24th, 2012
huntressxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #27
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to pack cloth but my hubby talked me out of it. Now I wish I had just done it from day 1, but it's not a huge deal.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #28
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

No, I didn't. My first was enormous, so I figured I'd just use sposies for a week or two and then move her into her sister's old OS diapers. Had I known she'd be nearly 3 lbs smaller than her sister I might have considered newborn cloth because she was about 3 months before she fit well in the OS diapers.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #29
carlamitchell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsquire0324 View Post
I'm all about free diapers that I don't have to wash :thumbs up:

hah, and i would rather not even try to wash out sticky meconium poo!
carlamitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #30
Maplecat
Registered Users
seller

I used cloth from the start with three of my kids. Two in the hospital and one at home. Diaper laundry post-partum has never been a concern for me. My husband does the laundry for the first week.
Maplecat is offline   Reply With Quote