Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Christen9302
Registered Users
seller

Detergent amount?

We have been CDing our toddler for a little over a month now, and loving it. We use Tide Ultra powder, and so far all has been great. However, I've been noticing the past week or so that I can smell my LO when he pees...never noticed that before. It's not really an ammonia smell, can't describe it very well, just a funny odor. And it's not just when he's had it on for awhile. When I get them out of the dryer, everything smells great...no bad smell at all until per time. My main question is...how much detergent??? I have read so much conflicting info on this that I'm lost! Some say use half the amount of normal laundry, others say use plenty or they won't get clean. Help!? I've been using about halfway up to the 1st line on large load setting. We have an old school TL and i'd say average water, not particularly hard or soft. Or does the amount of detergent I'm using even have anything to do with the smell??

Advertisement

Christen9302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
revolekim
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd say to use at least to the 1 line-- especially for toddler pee. I frequently used to the 2 line for a big load. Just make sure you're doing an extra rinse to get all the detergent out. I've actually started doing just another light wash cycle without detergent to make sure they get rinsed enough.

Liz , wife to Mike and semi-crunchy mama to 4 little ones: Gehrig the Jedi Knight (04/08), Logan a.k.a. "Pigpen" (06/10), princess pumpkin Katie Rose (10/12), and chipmunk Lexi (06/14)
::::::
revolekim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Detergent amount?

I have hard water and use tide ultra..
full load of diaper (which here is a dozen AIOS and at least equal amount of wipes sometimes a wet bag)
tide to about the one line as in I dont totally measure but its about there on large load I also add aboit 1/2 a cap of sports wash I find in our hard water this really helps to get things rinsed out super well I wash on hot heavy duty cycle
I also run a second cycle to fully rinse
every so often I skip the sports wash and use bleach instead.

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
Kelbel81906
Registered Users
seller

I use Tide up to the 2 line. If I use any less, I think the diapers smell like the penguins at the zoo Seriously, it's the only thing that I can find to describe it
Old 09-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
Christen9302
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbel81906
I use Tide up to the 2 line. If I use any less, I think the diapers smell like the penguins at the zoo Seriously, it's the only thing that I can find to describe it
That's hilarious! Makes me want to go to the zoo and see if that's what ours smell like that I couldn't quite put into words! Lol. Do u have to do extra rinse cycles/how many?
Christen9302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
EyeDocMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmommy
I have hard water and use tide ultra..
full load of diaper (which here is a dozen AIOS and at least equal amount of wipes sometimes a wet bag)
tide to about the one line as in I dont totally measure but its about there on large load I also add aboit 1/2 a cap of sports wash I find in our hard water this really helps to get things rinsed out super well I wash on hot heavy duty cycle
I also run a second cycle to fully rinse
every so often I skip the sports wash and use bleach instead.

Deanna
Not using the tide pods anymore? Is ultra tide working as well for you as the pods? Never would have thought to add some sports wash. I have used a full cap of sports wash to strip. Super easy and effective.
EyeDocMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #7
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

With a top loader you can get away with using more detergent because you have plenty of water. I say use to the 1 line. Rinse as usual (no need for extra rinses unless you notice an issue).
Old 09-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #8
mom2jande
Registered Users

That funky barnyard smell is usually the result of minerals from your water redepositing back on to your diapers. Over time, they will clog your fibers and prevent them from getting clean. You might be ready for a good strip. I had problems with Tide, but switched to Eco Sprout and have not had any problems since.
mom2jande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeDocMommy View Post
Not using the tide pods anymore? Is ultra tide working as well for you as the pods? Never would have thought to add some sports wash. I have used a full cap of sports wash to strip. Super easy and effective.
Not currently but mostly because the tide powder was on sale. The powder however is working great so no complaints. I kinda stumbled upon the sports wash trick. LOVE it though I still get the benifits of tide cleaning power but the scents and suds get really rinsed out well.

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
kwilkes
Registered Users
seller

I would use up to the 2 line and then do 1 or 2 rinse cycles after the normal wash cycle and see if that helps. :-)
kwilkes is offline   Reply With Quote