View Poll Results: Which is easiest for you to birth?
Girls over boys? 1 4.76%
Smaller heads over larger heads? 6 28.57%
"good hips" 5 23.81%
Relaxed environment during labor? 15 71.43%
All of the above. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr

I agree that girls heads can be big too! Her boys heads were huge though, much bigger than her girls heads, and I was mostly agreeing with her in "size matters" during labor. I did read about 10 years ago that girls generally have smaller head circ. and the charts read smaller than boys. I don't know if that is true so much anymore with better health care?
Well DS was only 6lbs 2.5oz, but his head was right at 16in IIRC, so he was a bobble head. Water broke on first push, his head and the rest came out on the 6th push. After 3 days of labor.

My head was huge and stayed huge lol, his father's head is bigger than mine. So he was doomed He was in a perfect position, but I've heard smaller babies can more easily end up in difficult ones as they move down. Dunno how true that is.

Interesting about girl vs boy, though! I'll have to look that up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Advertisement

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Moms of many: Head circumference Girls or Smaller sizes = Easier labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr View Post
Was your labor longer/harder before pushing? Or was it easier all around? I remember reading Indi's birth story , but I don't know anything about Lennon's.
Labor with Indi was shorter but MUCH more intense!
I lost Lennon's birth story. My laptop crashed when he was a few months old and I never had a printed copy I really should re-create it while I still remember!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

DD had a small head, and her labor was incredibly long and hard.

DS had a really large head AND he was a pound and a half heavier, yet his labor was over 5 times shorter and way, way easier. It did take some effort to get him to crown, though (but pushing was still 9 times shorter than with DD lol).

So...nope.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
Labor with Indi was shorter but MUCH more intense!
I lost Lennon's birth story. My laptop crashed when he was a few months old and I never had a printed copy I really should re-create it while I still remember!
I only wrote down my first, and have yet to write down the other 3 . Can't win either way LOL! There is hope though, http://www.birthcenters.org/parents-...ogical-aspects , says that despite the time lapsed from when you birthed, you remember it pretty accurately years later. Birth is such a pivotal moment in your life that you'll remember most of the details.

Now I would agree with that, but I think it works differently for men. My DH likes to add crazy details to entertain the kids until they are giggling hysterically like, "When you were born you had this little tail and whiskers, that the doctor had to snip off. When we brought you home, all you wanted to eat was cheese and would squeak and squeak at us until you got some, that is why we call you Squeaky!" and I wonder LOL.

Last edited by rumblepurr; 09-02-2012 at 02:32 PM.
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paper_girl_76 View Post
DS's head was 15 inches. He was 10 lbs 2 oz so also my largest and 1st. My water broke at 3:30 and contractions began at about 6. He was out at 7:20 so not quite 4 hrs after water broke and not quite 1.5 hrs from when contractions began.

He was def my quickest, but I wouldn't classify it as easier or harder. Pushing didn't seem any different for him either
Quote:
Originally Posted by melyndie View Post
DD had a small head, and her labor was incredibly long and hard.

DS had a really large head AND he was a pound and a half heavier, yet his labor was over 5 times shorter and way, way easier. It did take some effort to get him to crown, though (but pushing was still 9 times shorter than with DD lol).

So...nope.
Thank you ladies! You give me hope I dream of having an easier labor.
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #16
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr View Post
I only wrote down my first, and have yet to write down the other 3 . Can't win either way LOL! There is hope though, http://www.birthcenters.org/parents-...ogical-aspects , says that despite the time lapsed from when you birthed, you remember it pretty accurately years later. Birth is such a pivotal moment in your life that you'll remember most of the details.

Now I would agree with that, but I think it works differently for men. My DH likes to add crazy details to entertain the kids until they are giggling hysterically like, "When you were born you had this little tail and whiskers, that the doctor had to snip off. When we brought you home, all you wanted to eat was cheese and would squeak and squeak at us until you got some, that is why we call you Squeaky!" and I wonder LOL.
That's awesome. Our DH's would get along quite well, I think!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
247mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My most "difficult" labor was my 6# baby!! 8&9# babies were better, in home water-births (def. relaxed environment helped me!!) My last birth MW was only there for ~30 min. before baby was born!!
247mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #18
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I think lots come in to play. My oldes (both girls was 7 lbs & second was 6 something. But I also had back labor & over medicated first so hard to feel what I was doing but second meds were just right & I still could feel baby come out & what I was doing (pushing). My hips hurt a buttload more second time areound. Second was lighter, head not so big, not so long.....my ob was at second so I was more at ease.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #19
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, to clarify my position a little better - aside from the C/S, my smallest baby was my most difficult delivery (also my first).

What I meant though, was if you have two different women, each having an 8 pound baby, I think the head size of said 8 pound baby is going to have the most impact on that woman's delivery. So the woman with the 8 pound baby with the 90th percentile head will have a harder time than the woman with the 8 pound baby with the 40th percentile head. More so than babies are identical sizes (including head) and one woman is birthing at home and one in the hospital, or babies are identical sizes (including head) and one woman has "birthing hips" or both babies are identical sizes (including heads) and one is male and the other female.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #20
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All 3 of mine had heads in about the 25th percentile and I tore with each ranging from 2nd-4th degree with s broken tailbone.

My biggest baby was by far the hardest and his head was biggest though only slightly. They've gotten smaller and smaller and the tears have done the same.

Unfortunately my body just does not seem to handle birthing babies over 7 lbs very well (even the 2nd and 3rd degree were under that) but I make them bigger than that!