Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Registered Users
New to this

Any one else just getting started? I feel a little silly calling my self a minimalist with all this junk surrounding me, but I've been purging for a couple months now. The closets are getting there, the garage is getting there, and now I need to focus more on the kitchen/dressers and pretty much every flat surface!

Where are you starting?

jacquielcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
My Mood:
Re: New to this

I'm not a minimalist, but I've hated clutter for several years now. This past month, I have been tending to my to-do list and weeding out items that we don't need while reorganizing what I keep (w/o buying additional storage items). I've bounced around the house and removed stuff from my clothes, my daughter's clothes, the coat closet, the stored-for-the-future toys in the attic, the memory type items for my daughter, play room toys, kitchen items, CD's, etc. Even the cat toys have been slightly purged (or should I say purrrged?). I get obsessed w/ some things and decluttering is my thing for this moment. I can't continue at this rate forever, but I'm getting a lot of stuff out of my house in the mean time and it's definitely helped me want to shop less. That was my roundabout answer on where I'm starting, but basically I fill a long shelf every week and then bring it to Goodwill and start all over again.
Wife to my
Mom to my
Stepmom to my
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: New to this

We just switched around the bedrooms in our house and it's been perfect for cleaning out the kids toys. I am sitting here surrounded by bins and bags of toys, knowing I've made progress but shocked at how much is left to go through. And i just did this last summer!

Anyway, I think while I slowly plug away at that, I am also going to hit the clothes closets.
jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
Registered Users
I got started in January. I am not-and will never be-a minimalist. In fact, my dad cracks up that I read/post on such a forum! However, I had to get rid of stuff in order to a) be happy in my home and b) prepare to put it on the market.

I started in the kitchen Jan 1 with my husband and went from there. It's been a long process that's far from complete (see Big September Purge) but my life is SO much less stressful with the STUFF sold, donated or tossed.
MattiMaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
Registered Users
Im pretty new too. I've just gotten tired of constantly cleaning up clutter. Ive started in the places that I struggle the most to keep clean. I try to do it in little pieces, because otherwise I'll get half way through and then get discouraged

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum
Lora, blessed to be a wife to Aaron- 11 years and a Mom to DD Ella-7, DD Ava-5, Olivia-3, Weston-1
I sell SCENTSY!!!Labor and delivery resources HERE
doulamomma is offline   Reply With Quote