Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
saturn
Registered Users

Getting the first catch - older baby

My DD is 14 months, and although I'm not 100% committed to EC, I thought it might be worth a try at least. I'm not aware of any signs she has to go (and she has never minded being wet or dirty),so my approach has been to put her on the potty when she gets up in the morning, after breakfast, at diaper changes, etc. I've been doing this for about 2 weeks and haven't had a single catch. Is that normal? How long should I be keeping her on the potty?

I know that supposedly I should try letting her go naked so I can look for cues, and help her associate elimination with my psssssss sound, but to be honest I don't think we're committed enough for that. DH doesn't even like the idea of coverless time. Is there any other way to help her figure out what potty time is for? Should I just keep doing what I've been doing and hope that one of these days she'll catch on? Any other suggestions? I just keep reading all these stories about babies going on the first potty attempt, and it's sort of discouraging to feel like we're getting nowhere. I've requested "Diaper Free Baby" from the library, but don't have it yet.

Advertisement

saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
I_am_Blessed
Registered Users
Formerly: Beth's_Mommy
seller
seller

Re: Getting the first catch - older baby

In the morning, are you putting her on as soon as she wakes. DS pees within a minute of waking so if we don't strip his diaper and put him directly on the potty, I've missed my opportunity. Through the day, sometimes he has to sit for several minutes before peeing.

How long is your little one sitting on the potty? Maybe she needs to stay on the potty for as long as it takes (as long as she hasn't just wet herself). Once she does pee, you can make a big deal out of it and she'll know what she's there for.

Mama to 3, soon-to-be-4

I_am_Blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
saturn
Registered Users

I have tried putting her on the potty first thing and/or right after she nurses (which she usually wants to do as soon as she wakes). She sleeps in her own room now, so I don't always know the instant she wakes up if she doesn't start making noise. That's a helpful suggestion, though, maybe I need to work on getting her there quicker.
I try to keep her on the potty about 5 minutes, after that she usually gets restless. I don't want to force her to stay on the potty, but I suppose I could try keeping her there longer with extra books & games.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
I_am_Blessed
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS will sit and play with a toothbrush or book some times for 10-15 minutes and get mad at me if I try to move him. Other times, however, he wants right off. I don't push him to stay when he is wanting off, because I want him to be able to relax on the potty and not grow to hate it. I think the biggest thing is just trying to relax yourself. I think DS senses when I am anxious and trying to "push" for a day with no misses, and those are usually the days we don't have a very successful day.

Mama to 3, soon-to-be-4

Old 04-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
saturn
Registered Users

Update: Yesterday I got her up from a nap, and her diaper was still dry. I figured this was a perfect opportunity to keep her on the potty as long as possible, since she'd almost certainly need to go. After only a few minutes, she peed on the potty! I was so excited and we clapped and made a big deal out of it...
Anyways, thanks for the advice. No more successes since, but that's okay, I'm really only trying for part-time EC anyways.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
I_am_Blessed
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yay! Today has been a downer for us. We are traveling and although I brought the potty DS uses from home, we haven't caught anything. At one stop DS sat for 10 minutes with nothing, and as soon as I put him back in the car, his diaper was wet I am hoping we have more success once we are settled in a hotel room.

Mama to 3, soon-to-be-4

Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
phaeacrede
Registered Users

Ok, when you say RIGHT after they wake up do you mean like RIGHT after they open their eyes? Or right after you get out of bed? (We co-sleep)
phaeacrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
I_am_Blessed
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaeacrede View Post
Ok, when you say RIGHT after they wake up do you mean like RIGHT after they open their eyes? Or right after you get out of bed? (We co-sleep)
We co-sleep so DS wakes me up as soon as he's awake. I don't jump up and run him to the potty, but it is the first thing that happens when I get up. We hug and kiss for a minute and then get up and walk to the potty. He does pee within 2-3 minutes of waking, though, so taking anymore time than that and I miss the catch.

Mama to 3, soon-to-be-4