Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help me menu plan for this week!

I put this here for faster responses.

DH's doctor just put him on a low-fat, low cholesterol, low sodium diet. Doctor only wants him eating meat for dinner 2-3 days a week which is fine with me, but DH insists on "hearty" meals. No salads for dinner, no light pasta/veggie dinners, etc. He's also very picky. He doesn't really care for chicken (but will eat it once in a while). He doesn't eat squashes of any kind, mushrooms, peas, any kind of sweet sauce, beans, corn (he will eat corn on the cob), and a few other things. He likes pretty basic foods. I might be able to slip in something new here or there, but there's no way he'd eat sauteed kale over quinoa. We also live in a very tight grocery budget. I generally spend about $80 a week at the grocery store and that includes all meals, snacks, toiletries, etc.

You'd think as a chef, this wouldn't be this hard, but I'm going crazy trying to find him food he likes. If he doesn't like dinner, he goes to the convenience store and buys TWO packages of kimchi flavor ramen for dinner. High sodium, no protein. Who would have thought the kids would be the easy ones! I cook from scratch and I'm up to try just about anything.

Anyway, I need your help. I'm trying to plan this week's menu and I'm at a loss. Give me some ides please!

Advertisement

Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ugh, how frustrating. As a serious foodie, cooking for picky eaters drives me nuts. My DH is also picky about a bunch of things.

Im subbing now and I'll look over my stack of menus when the baby wakes up and try to get some ideas.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Oh man. That sounds rough mama!! I wish I could help you. I just went through my recipes and they are unhelpful.

The obvious ones though are to sub ground turkey or shredded chicken for beef, and lots. Of beans/rice They are so filling.

We do a lot of turkey or chicken tacos, with homemade taco seasoning, for low sodium.
Turkey enchiladas, but the homemade sauce has quite a bit of butter in it.

I am just curious about the low fat part of the diet. I understand that trans/polyunsaturated fats are terrible for you, but the lining of the heart,lungs, and I believe also the brain are made up of saturated fats. Breast milk is nearly 50% saturated fat, I just don't understand why it is suddenly "bad for you" as an adult. You may want to do some researching before committing to cutting out good fats. Just my 2cents. Feel free to ignore it.

......you should see what my posts look like BEFORE auto correct.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Maybe you can do something with eggplant parmesan.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
danielle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith

I am just curious about the low fat part of the diet. I understand that trans/polyunsaturated fats are terrible for you, but the lining of the heart,lungs, and I believe also the brain are made up of saturated fats. Breast milk is nearly 50% saturated fat, I just don't understand why it is suddenly "bad for you" as an adult. You may want to do some researching before committing to cutting out good fats. Just my 2cents. Feel free to ignore it.
As I read the op, I had similar thought. Because really, if you can use some olive oil, you can saute fresh tomatoes, peppers, garlic and a touch of olive oil and make a nice pasta sauce in about the time it takes to boil water for pasta.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danner

As I read the op, I had similar thought. Because really, if you can use some olive oil, you can saute fresh tomatoes, peppers, garlic and a touch of olive oil and make a nice pasta sauce in about the time it takes to boil water for pasta.
We're not interested in cutting all fats at all, just reducing and swapping things like olive oil for butter. I love light pasta dishes like you posted above, but DH won't eat them as more than a side dish.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Would he try vegan "meat"??

......you should see what my posts look like BEFORE auto correct.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
danielle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me menu plan for this week!

It sounds like the doctor suggested this diet for his health. It also sounds like something more tangible needs to happen before your husband will consent to the diet. The kinds of foods he likes are the kinds of foods he cant have.

Then again, rather than making a white type sauce with butter and milk, perhaps you can make thick sauces with stocks and olive oil (and flavorful seasonings) and that will fool his palette enough to make "light" dishes acceptable.

Also, a tomato sauce can be thick and stewy with less salt if you use something like a few capers or olives rather than plain salt.

It sounds like you will need to take the things you know he likes and make them more healthy rather than start from scratch if he is unwilling to make the necessary changes right away. Take dishes he likes and tweak them; see how that goes before you introduce new stuff.

It sounds like a daunting task to me. Best of luck in keeping your husband healthy.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
He'll eat some of the Boca stuff, like their meatless crumbles in spaghetti. He doesn't like the mushroom based products. I'm good with using them occasionally, but try not to do a ton of soy based stuff.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danner
It sounds like the doctor suggested this diet for his health. It also sounds like something more tangible needs to happen before your husband will consent to the diet. The kinds of foods he likes are the kinds of foods he cant have.

Then again, rather than making a white type sauce with butter and milk, perhaps you can make thick sauces with stocks and olive oil (and flavorful seasonings) and that will fool his palette enough to make "light" dishes acceptable.

Also, a tomato sauce can be thick and stewy with less salt if you use something like a few capers or olives rather than plain salt.

It sounds like you will need to take the things you know he likes and make them more healthy rather than start from scratch if he is unwilling to make the necessary changes right away. Take dishes he likes and tweak them; see how that goes before you introduce new stuff.

It sounds like a daunting task to me. Best of luck in keeping your husband healthy.
Yes, this is very much for health. DH is about 50# overweight, has had high BP for over 10 years and now has high cholesterol, fatty liver and high liver enzymes. His BP was already high before he was overweight. I'm overweight too, but so far without the health issues he has. This will benefit us both. He's got this idea that eating more healthily means simmered plain chicken breast, brown rice and green salad with no dressing. I'm trying to prove to him that we can eat healthy without eating cardboard. He won't eat breakfast during the week and likes to grab lunch from convenience stores (fried chicken, pizza sticks, etc). I can't force him to stop eating those lunches or make him eat breakfast, but I can make sure dinner is healthy.

Oh, and capers and olives are on his "no list" too. He likes to claim he's not picky! Ha!