Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: am i a bad parent for letting lo cry when i know hes tired?

Do what works for you. I do agree with the others that he is probably overtired, but even so, some babies just need a little fussing and/or crying before they nap. My DD would scream if you tried to hold her, nurse her, or do anything at all to her when she was tired. She wanted laid down. Then she would fuss for just a minute and go to sleep without a problem.

Advertisement

jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie.sattler

i stopped swaddling at about 2 weeks because he gets squirmy and likes his hands free. i have really good luck keeping him close to me though snuggling.
That seems early to me...but both of mine were swaddled for much longer. DS was about 5 months and DD was swaddled till 8ish ,maybe even 9, months.

We are not a CIO family. I do understand that some people use this method but I think 3 months is very young. He is still so young and needs comfort.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

I'd be tempted to try a hands free swaddle.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Even Ferber says no CIO til 6 months.

I wouldn't let a baby that little fuss that much. It seems like forever, but a year from now, you will think "OMG, where did this year go!" and baby will be doing something completely different.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #15
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
Even Ferber says no CIO til 6 months.

I wouldn't let a baby that little fuss that much. It seems like forever, but a year from now, you will think "OMG, where did this year go!" and baby will be doing something completely different.
This
Old 09-04-2012, 04:34 AM   #16
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

IDK, I don't think it makes you a bad parent at all, but that would be too young for me to let LO CIO for 10min. Have you tried any of the books/sleep strategies? DD responded very well to Happiest Baby on the Block, & lots of mamas on here recommend The No-Cry Sleep Solution. DD didn't like having her hands swaddled in, but it meant that we actually had to do the super tight/secure swaddle & all the stuff from Happiest Baby. DD was a very attentive baby & would get easily overstimulated, which made it hard to put her to sleep...added to what we now know were some feeding problems , she could be very difficult/frustrating. We did a lot of soothing w/ cuddles and such, but a bouncy seat was our best friend (she never did like the swing), & she needed/had her own sleep space. She slept in the bassinet at our bedside until about 4 mos (when she went to her crib), & we frequently would put her to bed in it about an hour or so before we went to bed...it gave her a break from the TV lights & noise, DP's & my talking, general household noise (you don't realize how noisy doing dishes & so forth is until it wakes the baby :giggle), & such. Oh, and I think that's also around the same age we started using some white noise, which DD still uses at 2.5yrs. Try some different stuff & see what works--Good luck!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:49 AM   #17
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would also say you might be missing sleep queues. Healthy sleep habits, Happy Child is awesome about explaining your baby's tired signs (and there are tons of options if you don't want to CIO). Both of my kids are amazing sleepers and I seriously credit this book.
*Keep in mind if your baby is overtired, they will become overstimulated easily. At that point rocking, snuggling may not help as much. So you want to catch them at the first sign

Last edited by cdeweese; 09-04-2012 at 04:52 AM.
cdeweese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #18
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeweese
I would also say you might be missing sleep queues. Healthy sleep habits, Happy Child is awesome about explaining your baby's tired signs (and there are tons of options if you don't want to CIO). Both of my kids are amazing sleepers and I seriously credit this book.
Love this book!
Old 09-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #19
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I say watch a little closer for sleep cues and try the hands free swaddle. Both my boys hated being swaddled with their hands/arms in almost from the beginign. As soon as their arms were free they did much better.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #20
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree he seems over tired and would try and them and put him to sleep before he gets to the crying point.

That being said, once he is overtired, whatever you can do to get him to sleep is good. So if the choices are letting him cry for 10 minutes, but then he actually sleeps versus trying for 30-40 minutes to get him down for a nap without crying, I wouldn't feel awful about resorting to the crying for 10 minutes or less every so often when you've missed the window.

I wouldn't make a habit of letting him cry himself to sleep at this age though. But some babies just need to decompress a little when they do get to that over stimulated stage.