Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
loveReese2pieces
Registered Users
seller

Ammonia in a used fitted - HELP

I bought a blueberry fitted for night time with wool and we used it for the first time last night (after washing of course) got up this morning and it smelled really strong and when I took it off her she was so red and I knew immediately it was ammonia. I am new to CD'ing and have never experienced ammonia but that is an undeniable smell! How do I get this out? I've got it in the washer by itself right now on the sanitary setting with a full scoop of laundry detergent. I plan on doing about three rinses after it is done. Will this be enough? Should I maybe soak it overnight? I can't do Dawn strip because DD's skin can't touch that stuff (long story but true). I'm scared to put it back on her. And how can you tell when you buy a used dipe? It didn't smell when it was dry- Also, what do I do for her ammonia burn? I put some CJ's on it and she is in a natural fiber diaper right now. I feel so bad and a little bummed that someone sold me a dipe with ammonia- I have been really happy with all my DS transactions thus far and all the mamas have been soooo awesome! : /

Advertisement

loveReese2pieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ammonia is a build-up of bacteria. More detergent will help, but I say just use some bleach on it. I always bleach new to me (used) diapers because I have no way of knowing if the baby bum that was in it before was sick (yeast or staph, whatever) or there were issues with the diaper. I would re-wash the diapers you prepped it with and add 1/4 c if bleach. I've used bleach for over a year and have never had problems with anything. I use pf's, flats and pockets with PUL.

Autocorrect has helped me type this.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Ammonia in a used fitted - HELP

I would also bleach it. You need to disinfect that bacteria. Unfortunately there are lots of people that have ammonia and think that it's normal so the seller may not have even realized it was a problem. This is why I thoroughly disinfect everything before I use it.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can't really give you much advice, but I do feel that when I use bamboo at night, they have a strong smell in the morning. With cotton or hemp I do not have this issue.

I would say, wash them in a stong detergent (like Tide), use bleach, lots of rinses.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
loveReese2pieces
Registered Users
seller

Thanks as soon as it is done I will do another cycle with bleach...I'm so anal/ OCD that I may wash and bleach every diaper we own...yeah I'm that germaphobic! Staph is just terrifying to think about! UGH yuck Thanks for the help mamas!
loveReese2pieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Funky Birdie Boutique
Registered Users
Formerly: chefwendybird
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myclanof6 View Post
Ammonia is a build-up of bacteria. More detergent will help, but I say just use some bleach on it. I always bleach new to me (used) diapers because I have no way of knowing if the baby bum that was in it before was sick (yeast or staph, whatever) or there were issues with the diaper. I would re-wash the diapers you prepped it with and add 1/4 c if bleach. I've used bleach for over a year and have never had problems with anything. I use pf's, flats and pockets with PUL.

Autocorrect has helped me type this.

I use a capful of bleach about 1x/month (mine. W/dawn but fine without) to do a small strip, for a bad dipe like that I second what everyone is sayin, use a bit more, should do the trick!

Baltic amber teething & healing jewelry
Come join us:
20% OFF FOR DS MAMAS ONLY, LIMITED TIME SPECIAL!!!!
Funky Birdie Boutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
I would also bleach it. You need to disinfect that bacteria. Unfortunately there are lots of people that have ammonia and think that it's normal so the seller may not have even realized it was a problem. This is why I thoroughly disinfect everything before I use it.
I agree. So many people somehow believe that ammonia is caused by too MUCH detergent so when they smell it they start using less. I also bleach every used diaper. Nothing against the family it came from, but you just never know.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 AM   #8
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I did a dishwasher tab strip with my stinky nighttime diapers and it worked, no more funk.

I am very weary of bleach, but I also have different washers in Europe. I used bleach and it burned holes into my good mamas and I still had stink.

DIshwasher tabw orked much better and can even be done with pul diapers.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #9
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
I did a dishwasher tab strip with my stinky nighttime diapers and it worked, no more funk.

I am very weary of bleach, but I also have different washers in Europe. I used bleach and it burned holes into my good mamas and I still had stink.

DIshwasher tabw orked much better and can even be done with pul diapers.
I would be scared to bleach if that happened too. Yikes!!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
BirthdayMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have a Bosch washer that I can't use bleach with, so I don't bleach used dipes. I wash on sanitary with a lot of detergent and either BacOut or oxygen bleach. That's taken care of everything so far. There isn't much harmful bacteria or fungus that can stand a prolonged exposure to 160 degree water.