Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2012, 04:27 AM   #11
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.

Re: Top loader VS front loader washer for CD

I hope the OP doesn't mind me asking a question in her thread.

Does anyone have a TL that is fully automatic? I'm looking for one where I don't have to hang around to put softener in. Granted, I won't be doing diapers with softener but my clothes are.

I'm looking at a nice little Defy 13kg TL that has a softener and detergent drawer. Its a DTL130. Does anyone have experience with this model?

Advertisement

Puppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
risata
Registered Users
seller

I have GE HE toploader. Used for clothes for almost two years w/no problems. Used for diapers for about 4 months w/no problems. I've been very happy with it & would purchase again.

As for whether it is more energy/water efficient, I can't say as we never had our own laundry facilities before living in this house. I *think* it uses less water than a traditional toploader, though, as the washer never fills up.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #13
risata
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppydog View Post
I hope the OP doesn't mind me asking a question in her thread.

Does anyone have a TL that is fully automatic? I'm looking for one where I don't have to hang around to put softener in. Granted, I won't be doing diapers with softener but my clothes are.

I'm looking at a nice little Defy 13kg TL that has a softener and detergent drawer. Its a DTL130. Does anyone have experience with this model?
My GE has a softener dispenser. I stopped using it though because it gets softener build-up and I'm too lazy to clean it out regularly. Now I just dump the softener into the drum right with the detergent.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #14
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Really? Mine has a quick wash setting. I think it's 30...
My FL has a quick wash setting too that's 28 minutes
Old 09-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
michelle142
Registered Users

I have a HE FL Maytag Neptune and have had no issues. If I have a smaller diaper load (less than 20), I will throw an old towel in the wash cycle so it adds more water.
michelle142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #16
kevandcare
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniele_ut

I have a Whirlpool Duet FL as well. I don't even bother to add any hot water to mine and I haven't had any problems with my diapers yet.

Mine has a Quick Wash cycle that varies from 18 minutes to 30 minutes depending on soil level chosen. I use it for my prewash. The whitest whites cycle I use is 1:50 minutes but it's not like I'm sitting there watching the machine. I start it and walk away. If I don't think I'll be able to get to the machine to take the diapers out right away I select Tumble Fresh.
You must have a newer model than I do. My washer doesn't have those settings. I only add water because that's the way I've always done it and it was recommended to me. I'll have to try it without and see how it does! Thanks!
kevandcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #17
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a LG front loader and love it. Our electric and water bills are really low, and barely budged when I started diaper laundry last Spring.

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #18
an_aurora
Registered Users

We have fancy LG front loaders and I hate them!!! The washer is impossible to keep even remotely balanced. We have a commercial top loading Whirlpool set in storage that we are about to swap out since it works better and is less finicky.

Last edited by an_aurora; 09-05-2012 at 06:07 PM.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

I can't speak for cloth diapers as we are still waiting on our first order
But we have a Whirlpool Duet steam FL set and I LOVE THEM. Hubby bought them for me when we were dating and he was in Iraq making $$$. I joke him that that's when I knew we were getting married.
Anyway... I wash all of our clothes on cold/cold (including DS's clothes... Filthy boy!) and only use stain treatments on the rare occasion of blood or ink. I use minimal detergent (Tide Cold Water HE) that costs us about $20 every 6-8 months or so. And that's at one load of laundry every day. I like being able to use the sanitize/whitest whites cycles on towels and sheets, as well as the quick wash (18 minutes) when hubby realizes at 9 pm the night before that he doesn't have a uniform for work the next day... Haha.
We definitely use less water/electric than with our old traditional TLers, plus I had to use a concoction of detergent, stain remover, and laundry softener with our old set to get clothes that were actually CLEAN and looked/felt that way. Yes, FLers use less water but there is a rinse adjustment (less/normal/more) as well as an option for an extra rinse (which I imagine I'll be using for diapers). I think the energy star stickers that came on the set when they were new estimated cost of use at $14/yr for the washer and $18/yr for the dryer. I don't know how they get that information, but that's what was on them. :P!
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #20
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We have an HE TL that I adore! Ours are the LG Waveseries. It is an HE washer but you can add extra water with the push of a button, as well as up to two extra rinses. You can also just do a rinse or run a short cycle. It does a great job with our clothes and diapers. It also will add the bleach, softener and detergent for you (I'm pretty sure most machines do this now). I have had my set for a little over a year and would definitely buy my set again.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote