Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
lilmonksmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Am I the only one who has found microfiber not to be stinky?

I used the same MF inserts for 2 years and never had a problem with stink.

Advertisement

lilmonksmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #22
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Never a stinky insert here. I think wash routine has a whole lot to do with it.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #23
iheartua07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by el's mama
Never a stinky insert here. I think wash routine has a whole lot to do with it.
I agree. My MF did stink at first but once I added a warm pre wash I haven't had any stink - never bleached or stripped either.
iheartua07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #24
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We didn't have MF stink for quite a while....but things went south in a hurry. Not only did we battle stink issues, but it seemed like they lost a lot of their absorbancy as well. If it works for you, great. But I'll never go back.

Maybe I should add that I am a lazy washer. I am not a soak-rinse-wash-wash-rinse-rinse-rinse type of girl. I'm a wash it and it's done type of girl. Although I tried adjusting the washing routine a lot when we had the stinkies it seemed like I could get them stink free for just a bit...and then they were right back stinky again. It wasn't worth the battle for me. I'll take easy wash cotton.

Last edited by jen_batten; 09-04-2012 at 08:55 PM.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #25
March
Registered Users
seller

Cotton and hemp have always gotten stinky for me much more easily than microfiber terry; I don't get this myth that natural fibers won't stink or are easier to clean. I've always thought it seemed easier for microfiber terry layers to separate from each other to get clean than heavy hemp or even cotton layers. Velours have been difficult for me to clean deep down.

However, I prefer absorbent minky if we're talking about synthetics; I do think microfiber has kind of a cheap feel to it, and minky is easier to stuff into pockets. I think, though, that people just decide they don't like microfiber because they want to believe that every manufacturer is somehow screwing them and they have to "upgrade" to nicer things.

Last edited by March; 09-04-2012 at 08:58 PM.
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #26
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

I haven't had any stink issues thus far, but I only currently use microfiber in about half my stash. I wash every 3-4 days with Tide and I've never had any stink issues with anything, microfiber included.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #27
lrgs
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Never had a particular issue with microfiber that I didn't also have with other fabrics.

I think the MF hate is half people with difficult washing conditions (frontloader + hard water, or not enough detergent, or not really hot water etc) and half that people idolize the "natural" around here. It is cooler to hate MF, dontcha know?

There is also confirmation bias. You expect to find something wrong with your MF because thats all you've read here. So when you run into an issue, you react to it differently and remember it differently than you would if you encountered it in the Oh So Holy Organic Cotton.

Now I've got BGEs and MEOS and PFs too. I just crack up how the mindset reaches from what kind of cloth diaper to use into produce over to rejecting the advice of physicians.

As if nature did anything but allow more to live than die.
Wow....why can't someone just prefer using natural fibers without being mocked for it? Nice.

OP, I didn't have stink issues with any of my microfiber (major ones anyway) I'm just not a fan, it feels gross and I just find it too finicky for my liking. I find cotton easier to maintain (for real......not just so the cool kids like me)
Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #28
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I didn't like the way it discoloured over time and the way it snagged my dry skin I didn't have any issues getting it clean. I just feel like my natural fiber inserts hold up better.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:05 AM   #29
moonsandmarshmellows
Registered Users
Formerly: mumto2
seller
seller

My Mood:

No stink here either and I've been using pockets with MF inserts for about 5 years.

SAHMama to Austyn 3/06, Anya 9/08, and Christopher 9/10
Lillian Louise 12/12
moonsandmarshmellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #30
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Never had a particular issue with microfiber that I didn't also have with other fabrics.

I think the MF hate is half people with difficult washing conditions (frontloader + hard water, or not enough detergent, or not really hot water etc) and half that people idolize the "natural" around here. It is cooler to hate MF, dontcha know?

There is also confirmation bias. You expect to find something wrong with your MF because thats all you've read here. So when you run into an issue, you react to it differently and remember it differently than you would if you encountered it in the Oh So Holy Organic Cotton.

Now I've got BGEs and MEOS and PFs too. I just crack up how the mindset reaches from what kind of cloth diaper to use into produce over to rejecting the advice of physicians.

As if nature did anything but allow more to live than die.
Can't argue with this, there does seem to be a certain amount of bias going around

I could not even give MF a chance to get stinky or not, it snags on my hands and gives me the creepy "fingernails-on-chalkboard" chills. However, none of our stash has had major stinky issues and I have a lot of diapers with synthetic fiber inners as well as a front loader. The worst is nighttime ammonia, and wet-pail with regular bleaching has kept those diapers smelling just fine.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote