Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #21
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycass

Why is that more horrid than preggo moms given other multiple medications. Babies who are born and have to go through detox because their mothers were prescribed pain meds the whole pregnancy. You should research a bit more before making a comment like that. There is a reason its beginning to be prescribed more and more. It's an herb just like any herb that has medicinal benefits.
Not trying to offend. It just irritates me that people can be pro medication and self medicate but ignore all the studies that does show marijuana as a beneficial medicine with little to no negative side effects. I know you said "I hope she had a prescription". The latter comment I thought was a bit extreme.
I haven't and won't take a single medication in pregnancy.

My prescription comment was in the hopes she was supervised and not self medicating with MJ. I see that as no different than snagging a friends zofran, without dosage and usage instructions, and taking it.

When pregnant your placenta becomes an organ in your body. What you take goes to it as quickly as it does your heart, ect. It's not filtered as if you had eaten it.

Having a child with a birth defect really sets my opinion in stone. Sorry if that offends you. That's the word I used because that's how I view it. Horrid to, smoke, anything... While a life inside you depends on you to give it everything it needs.

Advertisement

Last edited by keen1981; 09-05-2012 at 08:27 AM.
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #22
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Morning sickness - please help i'm desperate

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post

My prescription comment was in the hopes she was supervised and not self medicating with MJ. I see that as no different than snagging a friends zofran, without dosage and usage instructions, and taking it.

When pregnant your placenta becomes an organ in your body. What you take goes to it as quickly as it does your heart, ect. It's not filtered as if you had eaten it.

Having a child with a birth defect really sets my opinion in stone. Sorry if that offends you. That's the word I used because that's how I view it. Horrid to, smoke, anything... While a life inside you depends on you to give it everything it needs.
I havent heard or seen proof of it causing birth defects. I understand being super cautious about what you take in your body during pregnancy. I'm the same way! I had horrible, laying on the couch nausea and wouldn't take anything. Most view MJ as teens standing behind the school building getting high type of thing, mostly because of media and government. But most of the time when used for medicine it is eaten, not smoked. I just dont see why the comment was pointed towards MJ when other comments about Unisom and B6, etc... were given. To me there's no difference?
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #23
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post

I agree that the ideal is to not use any medication during pregnancy. I agree 100% but if you are so constantly sick with HG that you literally cannot get fluid or nurtrients into your body and non of the pharmaceutical prescriptions have worked then I think it's more important to nourish your baby than anything. And any responsible person using MJ medically while pregnant would vaporize it or eat it. I also would love a good study showing that MJ is linked in any way to birth defects.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Not touching the MJ derail with a 10ft pole.

I suggest you talk with your doctor. They can check and see if you're dehydrated, how much weight loss you've had from it, etc. My midwives recommended ginger and b6, unisom if that didn't work, and zofran as a 3rd option. It took a while for me to figure out what worked best. I finally found a ginger and b6 combo, and later my green teas helped also. Mine was awful. I lost 20lbs before I got it under control. I hope you find something that helps mama

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There was an article in Mothering a few years ago about mj use in pregnancy for nausea.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #26
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you for all the tips and advice. I tried half a unisom with my normal multivitamin (b6), but I don't think it made much of a difference. I still feel really crummy and just nauseated all day long.

So I called the dr but they said I'd have to come in... no easy feat for someone that can't be upright for more than 30 seconds without needing to go lay down. When I explained this she wanted me to rush to the ER right away. I'm drinking plenty of fluids, I just feel neausous and miserable. So I managed to drive to the doc and try to stay upright in my chair for 30 miserable minutes while eyeing the garbage can. I finally go up to ask how much longer and find out the person I paid my copay to didn't even check me in! Sheesh. The doc prescribed the active ingredient in unisom with b6. I'm really skeptical but hoping the higher dose of b6 is magic. Here's hoping it works. If not he also prescribed metoclopramide. Anyone use that?
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #27
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't really have an opinion on MJ in general, but you will not find studies of birth defects caused by MJ because it is unethical to conduct a study and expose unborn children to an illegal drug for the purpose of research. I won't get in to all the ethics of drug companies, etc. just saying that is why you won't find good solid research about MJ in pregnancy.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #28
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't really have an opinion on MJ in general, but you will not find studies of birth defects caused by MJ because it is unethical to conduct a study and expose unborn children to an illegal drug for the purpose of research. I won't get in to all the ethics of drug companies, etc. just saying that is why you won't find good solid research about MJ in pregnancy.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #29
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As for metoclopromide, that is reglan, a different kind of anti-nausea medication that works great for many people, especially migraines. I don't know that I have ever heard of it being prescribed for morning sickness so I would check into that before taking it. No harm in making extra sure

Last edited by babyrosie; 09-07-2012 at 09:43 AM.
babyrosie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #30
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrosie View Post
You can Google Dr. Melanie Dreher, Marijuana studies. She's an American Dr who has done many studies for years in Jamaica. There are some on babies exposed during pregnancy and Breastfeeding. It's interesting. It's a regular thing in some parts of Jamaica and there is no difference between the exposed and unexposed children. She even continued the study through later childhood to look for effects on older children who were exposed in utero.
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote