Infant seat with Aria 7 43.75%
Convertible with older P3 0 0%
Convertible with Aria 1 6.25%
Other 0 0%
Just infant seat, don't bring stroller 0 0%
Just convertible, don't bring stroller 1 6.25%
Bring both strollers 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

A Travel WWYD poll

I'm crowd sourcing this one because for whatever reason I have flip flopped a million times on this.

We are going from LA to Boston for a week. I bought a seat for the baby and need a carseat anyways because we will be driving a lot. We also will need a stroller because he is pretty content to look at stuff for a longer period of time if he's hanging out in the stroller.

So, which combo of the below would you bring?

Carseats:
We are in the Peg Perego infant seat right now. It's a 30/30 and he is 24 lbs but 29.5 inches. He's almost out of it, but he LOVES that seat and travels well in it. And, what if he has a growth spurt and all of a sudden doesn't fit?

I have the Peg Perego convertible coming this week. He has never sat in it and I would have a week to get him used to it before we leave.

Strollers:
I don't want to bring my new Pliko P3 but we were gifted an older one, used, that we haven't used. It's... kinda gross. I would wash it all first but it was clearly loved and abused. This seems to be one of the reasons I most am leaning towards bringing it, though, because I hear strollers get damaged all the time in check? I wouldn't cry over this one. But, it's also large.

Peg Perego Aria lightweight. Except, my kid has never sat in it. And there isn't a tray, which he likes to play around with. But, it's super light and easy to maneuver.

So, would you gamble and bring unknowns, or just bring the more cumbersome? And do strollers really get damaged? Any other tips?

ETA: I know this is a super dumb thing to ask here but for whatever reason this inane thing is stressing me out. So TIA

Advertisement

Last edited by Hungry Caterpillar; 09-04-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Having traveled quite a bit with an infant and then a toddler to Europe more than once and the Eact Coast, bring what you normally use.

Having unfamiliar surroundings is daunting enough, if you don't use it, at least you had it. And seeing as you'll be having a 3 hour time change, baby's familiar gear (and it's smell) will be comforting.

We've traveled with a Teutonia 300 (no longer available in the US), and its infant seat & base, and the bassinet. Packed in a travel bag, the seat & base have been gate checked; the bassinet fit in luggage. Now, we travel with Orbit Baby (love their travel bag!!) and it's a breeze!

Oh, P.S.:
Starting shifting baby's schedule 10-15 minutes a day. This will make the time change easier.

Good luck!
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: A Travel WWYD poll

Check the hard shell over his head instead of just his height. If he has a short torso he may still have enough room. I would bring stuff you don't need in the future, just in case of damage or loss. Especially the stroller.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would not take the stroller without the tray. I made that mistake once and will never do it again.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
katherineemmons
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would bring what he is used to and comfortable with.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would suggest the infant seat for sure. I would think about getting an umbrella stroller, I know some have trays now. We just took a trip to WV and didn't take a stroller. My youngest is 19 months and we chose to take our moby wrap but if we needed a stroller we'd buy an umbrella one there(since most are cheaper it could be left behind too). But do what your comfortable with!
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
DGFamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I agree. Being what's normal to him. We traveled to Texas to visit my dad when out lo was 4 months and they bought a car seat and we had them wash it in our detergent so it'd smell "normal" to her. It was great!
DGFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I'm not familiar with all of those brands you listed well enough to suggest which is better.... but here's my stance, although it may not be popular....

We just took a trip this summer by plane. We did not use our carseats on the plane, but we did gate check them. We also gate checked the stroller.

We used the lightest weight seats we had, and the lightest weight stroller we had. (an umbrella stroller) We really only used the stroller to get through the airports, so gate checking it was not a big deal.

We were also travelling with 3 young kids, and luggage for 7 people. So, we chose convenience over top safety. They were still in careseats (of course, I'm not an idiot!) but they were in "less-safe" ones I guess than normal.

We also considered the fact that we would not be driving much once we were at our destination and 90% of the roads we used to get where we were going were back country roads, not busy interstates.

I'd say to evaluate what you will be doing when you get there and plan accdg to that. If you will be driving a lot, or driving on a lot of interstates, I would say bring your safest carseat, no matter how heavy it is. If you will be walking a lot, bring your nice stroller with the bells and whistles. But only being what you NEED, don't go overboard, you'll regret it as you lug it all through the airport.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
MIpiccolo44
Registered Users
seller
seller

My only suggestion is that strollers DO get damaged - I had it happen =( If it does happen, ask at the gate and go and file a claim right away, ours was extra complicated because we landed in the middle of the night and didn't realize how damaged it was until we got to my mom's house, so can we say complicated?!?!
MIpiccolo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With a baby that age, I'd bring whichever car seat transfers easiest and a mei tai. I have personally always found strollers to be cumbersom and befuddling. I'm not mechanically inclined.