Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have a Nicu baby and need some help

xposted in breastfeeding

Our new son is going to be in our Continuing Care Nursery (or step down) for at least 2-4 weeks. He nursed great right after birth but is now still getting the hang of things. He's an awesome little sucker but I can't seem to get my nipple to the roof of his mouth to stimulate his sucking but he does nurse for about 5 minutes at a time at the worst. He was born Monday morning at 8am and just had his first bottle of colustrum around 3am this morning. He did nurse for a few minutes at his next feeding.

I pumped exclusively for my older son but didn't have a hospital grade pump and didn't start soon enough. I've pumped twice so far and got 10ml/15ml and 10ml/5ml (after a feeding on that one) of colostrum. I'm going to be discharged in a few hours and will nurse one more time before leaving.I already know I will not be up here overnights but will aim to make at least every other feeding during the day.

My questions are, when is the best time to pump during the day? Immediately following a nursing session? Halfway between feedings? I know I should pump at the normal feeding time for the feedings I'll miss I'm just confused about what to do before/after/inbetween nursing sessions.

Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks mamas!

Advertisement

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I have a Nicu baby and need some help

If he is having problems sucking, I would pump following every feeding, in addition to pumping all of the missed feedings. The best thing you can do though is to get him on the breast as much as possible to stimulate your production.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
RedZulu
Registered Users
seller

I had had to pump after every feeding with my 35 weeker. I nursed and then pumped for 10 to 15 minutes to build up my supply. Pump for the missed as mentioned above and after EVERY nursing session. Took a while to build up my supply but it worked.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
RedZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtr4me
If he is having problems sucking, I would pump following every feeding, in addition to pumping all of the missed feedings. The best thing you can do though is to get him on the breast as much as possible to stimulate your production.
This ^^^
How is it going now?
I hope when he is getting a bottle they use the preemie nipple.

Or I would have them use a seringe
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He is nursing twice a day, using a shield. Not ideal but helatches on so much easier now and will actually stay on for a half hour. I'm hoping to meet with the LC tomorrow so she can correct anything I'm doing wrong. He's def. getting some milk because he takes less from the bottle after he nurses. The problem seemed to be my nipples wouldn't stick out far enough fo me to touch the roof of his mouth.

As for pumping, I'm up to over 900ml per day and was able to start a freezer stash already and DS is only 1week2days old! Super stoked about that, I had a terrible supply with DS1.

He's using the NUK Ortho nipple. Even the preemie nipple was too fast for him. We're hoping he'll be home Tuesday (*knock on wood, God willing*)

Old 09-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Great news and congrats! Post a pic please! Also my nipple did the same thing. Just stick with the shield for couple weeks that is what I did. Then go cold turkey
Sounds like you are doing good a pumping too great job!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
beginswithb
Registered Users
seller

I don't have any advice (I'm late to this post) but I just wanted to send some positive energy your way from one NICU mama to another. My oldest was in the NICU for 4 months and I pumped the entire time. I'm SO happy to see that your babe is getting the hang of the actual nursing part.
beginswithb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Flying
Registered Users

My Mood:

As a NICU therapist, I wanted to encourage you to keep pumping and working for nipple feeding! Way to go and what a great start you are giving your baby. Kangaroo care is such a great support for development!
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #9
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks everyone! I'm super happy to say that he came home a week ago today :-) I still try to nurse him at the beginning of all day feeds (unless we're out or he's screaming). Sometimes he isn't too interested but the past few times he's really latched on and eaten a decent amount (1-3oz, that's how much I'm short if I pump afterwards). I also noticed he has a great latch when drinking from a bottle, the fish lips, is that how they're supposed to drink from a bottle? lol

Old 10-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Fish lips is great! Are you still using the shield for nursing? I know ditching the shield really made a difference for me.