Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Playmobil sets for toddler boy--reviews?

I LOVE the playmobil sets. I see them in our mall toy store and always want to bring them all home

I have been thinking about getting DS the nativity set around Thanksgiving to bring out for Christmas, and also I have thought about putting some of the sets, like the rescue, barn/farm, and some of the transportation (bus, plane) on his Christmas list for grandparents. However, DS is just now getting to where he is starting to do some imaginary play with figures and I'm not sure if he'll play with them or not! He's 2. at Christmas he'll be 2.5

Anyone have these playsets? Love them? Hate them? Your kids like them?

I really love that they are well made, and are NOT tv or cartoon characters, but are just figures. It's SO hard to find generic action figures! I don't want stupid WWF figures or comic book characters littering my house. These seem to truly encourage imaginative play.

Anyone have reviews on these playsets?

Advertisement

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Playmobil sets for toddler boy--reviews?

My kids (6 and 2.5) LOVE Playmobil. They both do lots of imaginative play with them. They are well made and last forever. I have some from Ebay that are from the 80's. We have the plane, RV camper, lots of vehicles and want to get the house or castle for Christmas for them to share. You really can't go wrong. I would get one of those take along sets to see if he likes it.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have several of these and they are a hit. Personally, I would wait till they are at least 3, but probably 4 to get them. I found that they small parts were very hard for my kids to play with before that age. Also, they just didn't "get it" the same as when they were slightly older. And, sometimes I feel like when we get something too young, they end up losing interest by the time they are really old enough to enjoy them.

But, that's just our family. I'll be interested to see what other people say.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We love playmobil but I am going to give the same warning as PP, wait until your child is a bit older. Playmobil is wonderful but there are tons of tiny parts and even if your child does not swallow little things he will probably wind up frustrated when he can't get the pieces to stay together because of lack of fine motor skills necessary to manipulate them (totally age appropriate for a 2 year old). These toys were really designed for 4+ though I believe they say 3 and up because of choking hazard. Tharen started receiving them as gifts at 3 and while he would play with the little men and the animals he would still get frustrated from time to time with his inability to manipulate all of the little pieces. The things he can do with them now are leaps and bounds away from what he could do with them then. Not that he ever lost interest but it just isn't the same. They are amazing toys and I would support a collection of them over just about any toy if your child is into action figure type toys. They certainly encourage imaginative play and seem to last forever (the biggest draw back being missing pieces).
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
moonlitmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Playmobil is a hit at our house too. Check out the 1-2-3 line of toys for younger ones. We go our DD (turning 2 this month) the playhouse set last Christmas and she and her big brother both love it. DS also has a couple of farm toys that he got when he turned 3 and loves.
moonlitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
ColbyCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: naperica
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 5 yo LOVES playmobile, but 3 yo has a tough time. The pieces are small and he does play with the stuff, but in a way that it is not supposed to be used.

I LOVE playmobile, sometimes I take them out so I can play........

BTW, we have vintage playmoblie!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh I was going to second the 1.2.3 line as well. That is what we started with for DD and she loved those. I think she is able to play with the regular sets only because she mimics what DS does.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have not had the same experience as the other posters. We got two different sets for Christmas and something out of both sets has broken. One was a boat with a motor and the motor broken nearly immediately. The other had a little rabbit hutch and a door broke off rather quickly. We normally buy wooden toys and have not had many things die by way of kids (we have a wood eating Golden though). They are awfully cute and they do promote FM skills, but they really are more for older kids because lots of things either come apart or have multiple tiny accessories.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

True Playmboil fanatics in this house. They are the toy that is always out and always in use. LOVE IT.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshkasheeba View Post
I have not had the same experience as the other posters. We got two different sets for Christmas and something out of both sets has broken. One was a boat with a motor and the motor broken nearly immediately. The other had a little rabbit hutch and a door broke off rather quickly. We normally buy wooden toys and have not had many things die by way of kids (we have a wood eating Golden though). They are awfully cute and they do promote FM skills, but they really are more for older kids because lots of things either come apart or have multiple tiny accessories.
We have had a couple of accessories break too. It was my younger children who couldn't work well with them because of the small parts.

They aren't indestructible, especially for a child who doesn't really have the motor control for the small parts. But, they are good quality for this type of toy, IMO.