Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
jellybeanV
Registered Users
seller

wipes and poo ?

I'm looking for a solution. DH and I love our cloth, we are both busy so trying to keep things simple. We are getting ready to start DD on solids and say goodbye to the easy toss in the wash EBF poo... We are going to be using flushable liners and avoiding the sprayer/dunking... but I'm trying to figure out what to do with poo wipes.

Can I just toss them in the wash, or is that a bad idea? Should I use flushable wipes with a poo change and flush them with the liner?

Looking for your experiences and what's working for you. TIA

Advertisement

jellybeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: wipes and poo ?

We use cloth for everything. I never found flushable liners to work very well so we spray the diaper and wipes at the same time and throw everything in the wash.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
tiredwalker
Registered Users

I usually do the first wipe with the diaper to get most of it off if possible (liners didn't work for us because of shifting and chapping). Sometimes I have to dunk one of the wipes to get the chunks off, but usually I can just rinse it clean enough to go in the wash.
tiredwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
reyasunshine
Registered Users
seller

Even with flushable liners, you may still have to scrape, dunk or spray. Sorry to be the bearer of bad CD news. LOL.

Using flushable wipes is tough because you're only supposed to flush one of those at a time, so if you have a *really* bad poo, you may need to flush the toilet three times. That's a lot of water for one poopy diaper.

I would say, get the liners, get a sprayer, and spray the cloth wipes and diaper if you need to. It's really not that big of a deal. If you don't have a lot of time, get a trash can (with a lid), and stick all the poopy diapers/wipes in there till the end of the day, and do them all at one time. That's what we did before we started ECing. But thanks to ECing, now all the poop is in the potty.

Maybe *that* would actually be the best for you? They're the easiest to catch! Just stick your baby over the potty after waking, naps, and meals. Or you know... whenever you see her grunting and/or farting... WAAAAAAY better and more convenient than changing poopy diapers! LOL. I LOVE ECing.

How about some Sunshine and Wonder ?
reyasunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Xanders
Registered Users
seller

I never has to spray my cloth wipes. Just tossed in the diaper pail & washed. Never issues over cleanliness!
Xanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
UrbanGirl
Registered Users
seller

I have been debating on using cloth wipes and loved reading your opinions and experiences :-)
UrbanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
UrbanGirl
Registered Users
seller

I have been debating on using cloth wipes and loved reading your opinions and experiences :-)
UrbanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Like other PPs, the liners don't get I all. If there's a lot on the wipe, I spray it off (it's usually just the first one. I also try to scrape off what I can with the diaper first wipe. We love our sprayer.
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
OHIOFIFI
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have never sprayed my wipes, just toss them in the pail and wash. Never had a problem.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
AmandaA
Registered Users
seller

Absolutely agree that a diaper sprayer is way easier than messing with disposable liners! I started out cd'ing part time since I wasn't for sure if I was going to like it. I used the disposable liners and they always seemed to move around and I ended up with poo on the diaper despite the liner. Tried several different brands of liners and always had the same problem. I also wasn't a fan of how most of them felt and didn't think it was probably very comfy for my LO. And without a sprayer it was a real pain to get any of the stray poo off of the diaper too. I was reluctant because I didn't want to spend the money on the sprayer in case I didn't stick with cd, but can't imagine living without it now that I am used to it.

Someone else also mentioned spraying your diapers all at once or in batches. This saves time and works well for us too. Since DS is 21 months and loves to imitate EVERYTHING I do, I don't like spraying diapers when he is around to "help". So I keep a small plastic box that I bought at the Container Store on the back of the toilet and just set the diapers in the box until I can get to them without my assistant. The box is also handy for transporting those soaking diapers back to my pail since it doesn't fit in the bathroom where the sprayer is. I also find that it is easier to get the solids to come off after they have sat for a little while and aren't fresh. That was a little hint I learned in my CD 101 workshop at my local cd store. The other good advice I got in that class was to make sure that you have the sprayer turned off at the valve when you aren't using it. The parts in that valve are strong enough to withstand the pressure that the water in your pipes exerts on them constantly, but the parts up in the handle and at the spray nozzel are not. You are much more likely to get a leak or wear your sprayer out by leaving it in the on position all of the time. If you look at the reviews of all of the different sprayers online take it with a grain of salt.... for every person who loves one someone else hated it. I wouldn't be discouraged by that.
AmandaA is offline   Reply With Quote