Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Registered Users
How to get started canning

I have a canner I bought several years ago and it's never seen much use. I have been cooking a lot more lately and I've been trying to save money by cooking from scratch and in bulk. I've mostly been freezing but we have an apartment refrigerator so space is limited. I'd like to switch to canning but I'm nervous about it.

If I am remembering correctly, the recipe book that came with the canner was rather complicated. I had to time things just right, let off steam, use the amount of steam as a guide to understand when things were done. I was afraid I would do something wrong and accidentally kill someone with some of my food.

Can you give me some tips to get started? How important is timing when canning? Can I leave something in the canner for too long or do I have to get it just right?

If it helps, some of the things I want to can are tomato sauce (and other sauces), apple sauce, jams/jellies/preserves, pickles, sand soups.

aflyingbuttress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Start with things that can be canned in boiling water (jams, jellies, apple sauce, etc). These things are easier and a little harder to screw up. then move on to tomato sauces and soups. Things canned in boiling water have higher acidity and are "safer", whereas sauces and soups are not as acidic and need more heat. I don't have a pressure canner, so I haven't graduated to the sauces and stuff.

I have never failed using the jam/jelly recipes right inside the pectin boxes.
Hi! I'm Shannon Wife to J
Mama to a couple of crazy boys - L (12/07) and E (2/11)
and Meatball coming 4/14
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Registered Users
Re: How to get started canning

Jams are an easy start you really can't go wrong! boil the fuit with sugar and pectin stir stir and put in the can =)
Just started canning pickles and peppers from the garden-again easy vinegar, seasoning and water.
Make sure you either have self sealing lids or boil your jars and lids!
GodLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: How to get started canning

Jams are easy to start with.

I read up extensively on how to can and then I took a small canning class in a neighbor's kitchen and then in my grandparent's kitchen. Having the head knowledge and then getting it reinforced by a hands-on lesson really helped me.

I've canned lots of jams, some whole fruit, and some pickled veggies. I don't own a pressure canner, so I haven't made an attempt with those low-acid recipes.
ardeur is offline   Reply With Quote