Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
Bread making mamas

I am looking for a good oat bread recipe that you have tried and liked, honey as an ingredient a bonus.

I've tried a few and I'm just not getting a good rise, even with adding vital wheat gluten. The two I've done have called for a cup of oats and I like that. I'd just like a bit less density. My last loaf was a deadly weapon.

Anyone make something they love?

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Mummandherboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bread making mamas

Hey Mama,

I would love to know a good recipe too... I am no help either I have been trying to add a cup or so of oat flour to my breads and same thing... very dense and not a good rise. I have tried both in the bread maker and in my loaf pan in the oven. I'll be curious if anyone has a good recipe...thanks for posting!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
wyldcat
Registered Users

My Mood:

This doesnt have honey but i have made this several times and it has come out great

Oatmeal Bread Recipe
Below are the ingredients for this bread. It doesn't call for eggs so this is a good bread for anyone with egg allergies.

2 Cups Water
1 Cup quick cooking oats
3 TBS butter or oil
1 pkg yeast
1/3 Cup Warm Water
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
1 TBS White Sugar
1Tsp Salt
5 1/4 Cup Plain Flour

Directions for Making Oatmeal Bread.

Heat 2 Cups of water to almost boiling. Add oats, butter or oil, brown sugar and salt. Let cool.
Meanwhile, add 1/3 Cup Warm Water to a small dish with yeast, along with 1 TBS of white sugar.
Combine oat mixture with 4Cups flour, knead for 8 to 10 minutes. Add more flour till smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place till doubled about an hour.
Punch down. Let it rest about 10 minutes.
Shape into loafs, weigh out the dough, I do 1.5 pounds of dough and get 2 regular loaves and 1 small loaf. Place in a greased pan. Let rise again, about an hour.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.
The loaf is done when it sounds hollow.

My Food Creations Blog --- Helping You Go Green With Style --- Earn Free Amazon GCs With Me
wyldcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
wyldcat
Registered Users

My Mood:

dbl post

My Food Creations Blog --- Helping You Go Green With Style --- Earn Free Amazon GCs With Me
wyldcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Just Ducky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's been my experience that you can modify bread recipes fairly easily. Consider trying a desert bread (like a Houska) that is intended to have enough yeast to compensate for the extra weight of its ingredients (usually raisins and/or nuts). Then just replace the dessert add-ins with your oats and you should be set. And to add honey, just add the honey. But remember that when you add sugar your bread will brown faster so you might need to let it get the shade you want it on top and then pop it out of the oven and cover it with aluminum foil. Then put it back in and finish cooking it. You can reduce the sugar the bread calls for if you don't want it to be too sweet.

Also! Any time you are having trouble with bread rising, put it in a cold oven and preheat the oven with the bread in it. The heat will give the yeast an extra punch at the end before it dies.

Edit: Oh, and if your loaf is coming out heavy, back off on the flour. I use a different amount of flour every time I make bread (assuming I am using the same recipe) because as the ambient humidity changes, so does the amount of flour the bread needs. It really is something you just need to get a feel for.

Last edited by Just Ducky; 09-24-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Just Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote