Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

whats with all the kids running around with no parental supervision?

We live on a fairly BUSYstreet. Not super traffic but a car maybe every 3 minutes....we are in a triangle created by 3 VERY BUSY streets intersecting. The triangle is about 2 blocks long and 3 bocks wide. We are dead center, and alot of traffic cuts through.

There are several families with kids around the same age (from 4 to 10) on the block...every day I see kids as young as FOUR YEARS old wandering the street ALONE or with an older sibling (7 years old). I NEVER see parents, and these kids are out all afternoon and evening(from like 3 to 8). Its 4 different families. Several times I have had an adult I do not know, knock on my door asking if their child was in my home because they havent seen them in a couple of HOURS....the one time mom said "i saw the toys in your yard so i figure you have kids...have you seen X?"

Seriously?! Why are parents O K with this? Especially the 3 four years olds that wander (i know they are 4 because I asked them) around? Now my 4 year old is getting upset because she wants to ride her bike around the block alone like J too. OVer my dead body will she be going alone around the block at 4 years old. I dont feel like i am super strict, but maybe I am?

FYI... I always make the kids go home and check in before they are allowed to play in our yard or home....i dont mind them over, but i want mom and dad to know where they are.

Advertisement

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Re: whats with all the kids running around with no parental supervision?

I dunno but it sounds like 4 different families are all ok with this and you are not. I'd be getting to know everyone to find out if maybe I was ok with it too. Sounds super fun and pretty much the way I grew up.

I do let my dd ride her bike around the block and such (since last summer when she as 7) but she wasn't allowed to cross streets. She and the neighbour kids run back and forth between houses and we don't always know where they are. Depends on the kid. I wouldn't have let her at 4 because frankly she lacked common sense!
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'd be with OP--my kiddo cannot go in anyone's house (or cross the street) without my permission. All the moms on my block are this way. I don't even let my kiddos play in the front yard alone, and I live on a super quiet street in a development.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelsmummy View Post
I dunno but it sounds like 4 different families are all ok with this and you are not. I'd be getting to know everyone to find out if maybe I was ok with it too. Sounds super fun and pretty much the way I grew up.

I do let my dd ride her bike around the block and such (since last summer when she as 7) but she wasn't allowed to cross streets. She and the neighbour kids run back and forth between houses and we don't always know where they are. Depends on the kid. I wouldn't have let her at 4 because frankly she lacked common sense!
Really, you would be ok with your 7 year old out, unsupervised for 5 hours alone? Having to go door to door (to houses where you dont know the people) to find her?

Old 09-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't mind letting my older kids outside to play, but I do supervise them, even if it's from inside. The minute one of them goes behind the townhouses I'm outside telling them to get back in the front where I can see them. However, there's a 6 yr old boy that's out riding his bike from about 3-8 all by himself. His mom never comes out, it's sad. And a little girl, also 6, who walks herself to the bus stop in the morning and tags along with us on the way home. Yesterday (the first day of school) she was by herself. When I picked my kids up, she said, "Well, my mom's the only one not here, I don't even think anyone's home... can I walk with you?" I felt so bad for her. Of course there were at least 2 adults in the home when she got there. They looked rather annoyed that she was knocking on the door.

Anyway, I think it's crazy to not even know where your kid is for that long. I get letting kids out to play and have time to themselves, but to have to go knocking door to door to find them is a bit much.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
dani_p
Registered Users

Allowing children to play unsupervised is really good for them! And it's how I grew up too. I think that kids should know a few things first like how to tell time, mom/dad's phone number, and their address. Age is pretty irrelevant in my opinion (I know some four year olds I would trust completely on their own for hours and others I wouldn't let out of my line of sight). Not sure if I would be okay with kids going into other people's houses if I didn't know them... But it sounds to me like a great reason to introduce yourself! "Hi, our kids play together, my name is..." Maybe have a neighborhood BBQ and get to know them. That way, no matter where your kids are in the neighborhood, they're never really "unsupervised".
Expecting number two (04/14)!
dani_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC

Really, you would be ok with your 7 year old out, unsupervised for 5 hours alone? Having to go door to door (to houses where you dont know the people) to find her?
Would i allow my four year old outside wothout me? Maybe depending on the other kids and can i see them from my windows. My kids were constantly running from House to house at around 7 and yeah they would be gone all evening or all day on sat. I would check on them periodically and yell for them sometimes so i could see heads. Would i let any of my kids even teens just run around for five hours without having them check in or me checking on them? No but how do you know that they arent checking in once in awhile?

I say to each his own. Dont allow your kids but don't judge others for allowing theirs. Funny story my kids will tell you was when they were 10,8,6 they were allowed to ride their bikes around the block but they could only make right turns so they couldnt cross streets. One day my ds came to me and said if i start the other way can i still only make right turns? (Which would have allowed him to cross into the other block
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani_p View Post
Allowing children to play unsupervised is really good for them! And it's how I grew up too. I think that kids should know a few things first like how to tell time, mom/dad's phone number, and their address. Age is pretty irrelevant in my opinion (I know some four year olds I would trust completely on their own for hours and others I wouldn't let out of my line of sight). Not sure if I would be okay with kids going into other people's houses if I didn't know them... But it sounds to me like a great reason to introduce yourself! "Hi, our kids play together, my name is..." Maybe have a neighborhood BBQ and get to know them. That way, no matter where your kids are in the neighborhood, they're never really "unsupervised".
Sorry but if the other parents dont care to know where their children are for 5 hours each day, there is NO WAY they will be "supervising" my kids! And btw, my kids (3 and 4 year olds anyways) know their address and my phone number.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

And i am ok with older kids running unsupervised, but not until about 9 and you bet they will have a cell phone or walkie talkie on them so i can get ahold of them.

My 3 and 4 year olds play unsupervised in the backyard all the time. Its fenced though.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
Would i allow my four year old outside wothout me? Maybe depending on the other kids and can i see them from my windows. My kids were constantly running from House to house at around 7 and yeah they would be gone all evening or all day on sat. I would check on them periodically and yell for them sometimes so i could see heads. Would i let any of my kids even teens just run around for five hours without having them check in or me checking on them? No but how do you know that they arent checking in once in awhile?

I say to each his own. Dont allow your kids but don't judge others for allowing theirs. Funny story my kids will tell you was when they were 10,8,6 they were allowed to ride their bikes around the block but they could only make right turns so they couldnt cross streets. One day my ds came to me and said if i start the other way can i still only make right turns? (Which would have allowed him to cross into the other block
I know several times i have been asked if i have seen a couple of the kids because the parents havent seen them in a few hours.