Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
dreaded mama
Registered Users

Unhappy legally married to someone else...

I got married (like the dumb teenager i was) ten years ago, but for one reason or another the divorce never went through when either of us filed. we cannot afford lawyers, it's a complicated situation. I have been with my current SO for six years and we had our first nine months ago. This situation has been difficult for the both of us. we would like to marry some day, and have more children, but i can't seem to get the divorce to finalize. my ex and i have been separated for 9 out of the ten years we've been married, and it's been so long both of us don't even remember why we even fell in love or split up. Is anyone in this situation or one similar? how do you cope? are there resources to help people like me? He lives in CA and i'm in MA... we got married in VT, but we were living in MA at the time of the marriage.. that is what seems to be the problem. i had no idea until recently that states have jurisdiction over marriages, and neither MA nor VT want to claim our marriage and divorce us. I am so lost and frustrated.

Advertisement

dreaded mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
AlwaysReady
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: legally married to someone else...

My husband was married in CA and divorced in MD. There was no problem. He lived in MD and filed there. They could have filed in either state as she lived in CA still. I am not sure why you are having issues.
AlwaysReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

If neither state wants to claim you guys is it possibly your marriage was never legal to begin with?
Old 07-27-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
dreaded mama
Registered Users

it was defintely legal, i must be doing something wrong, it always gets stuck at waiting for a court date. I asked a legal aid place what was going on and the lady there said that it is probably something in the paperwork that i'm not filling out or at least not filling out the right way. I have such a hard time with paperwork so it would not surprise me.. there's so much of it for a divorce. It almost changes my mind about getting married again. Well, i'm hoping that this time around I got it right. I just wish there was free help with divorce. at least in my area. I completely understand the people out there that don't get married because they don't want the government involved in their relationship. Marriage should be a choice all the way around (imo) Thanks for the input
dreaded mama is offline   Reply With Quote