Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Mom's of Wild Munchkins, How do you do it?

DH and I are having a tough time with DS, who is 3. He's always been a handful! Right now, our biggest issue is that he has a hard time listening, following any sort of directions, and controlling his impulses (including hitting out of anger - we are non-violent, FYI). He just gets WILD. I know this is normal for 3 year olds, but he is unlike any other 3 year old I know or have met, and I am beginning to wonder if there is some underlying issue or if there is something wrong with my parenting. I don't want to jump on the add/adhd bandwagon, but I'm beginning to wonder.... I can give more details if necessary.

We're starting a strict daily schedule next week to see if anything changes, and I am totally dreading it. Would any of you out there with wild boys (or girls) be willing to share some stories or information on how you deal with it?

Lindsay, hanging out with my boys - Big Brother B (5/09) and Little P (4/12). Twin girls expected 1/16!
LnzsOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
DS1 is the. Same. Way. We used to get that look from other parents. I have been told we need to spank him. We don't do that anymore. Besides, it made him act worse. But he needs routine. Not necessarily a strict schedule like breakfast at 8, outside at 9, etc. Just things done in the same order. Also, even though he doesn't understand time, I give him time warnings. We will leave in 5 minutes and such. Positive reinforcement. We still correct bad behavior but also "I love how you didn't scream when you got mad. That was a very big boy way of handling it ". And the thing that made the biggest difference was cutting artificial food dyes. Big difference. He is 4 and in pre k this year. It is helping a lot.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Mom's of Wild Munchkins, How do you do it?

It doesn't have to be ADHD. He could be sensitive to sensory information and easily over stimulated. If you really feel like it's a serious issue, an Occupational Therapy eval might be a nice, non-threatening place to start. Even if he doesn't actually qualify, they have all kinds of great ideas to help with kids who get wild.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Mom's of Wild Munchkins, How do you do it?

Try to find the book "Raising Your Spirited Child" it is at least 20 years old now and saved my sanity when my oldest ds was a preschooler. He was just 'more' of everything but he eeevvvveeennnntuuualllyyy outgrew/matured out of the worst behavior traits and is an amazing adult now.
Mamma to 6: dd 10/85 (married in May '08), ds 08/88 (engaged 01/13), dd 06/92, ds 09/94, ds 09/01, and the peanut dd 01/07.
My FIRST grandson arrived Oct 1st!
"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." Saint Augustine
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
Done at 3
Registered Users
My Mood:
From the time DS1 was about 6 months old he was wired for speed! I can't even tell you how many times I have heard "wow, he's very busy!" seriously, everyone said that to me! He was willful, he ran off all the time, never listened, had meltdowns, just generally a hard kid to discipline. I got calls from the school all the time regarding his impulsive behavior it was very challenging for the first 5 years of his life.

My DH and I often asked each other if there could be a "problem" I felt so badly thinking that way, but something just wasn't right. He has since been diagnosed with ADHD and a high IQ. Since we started him on meds and better challenging him in regards to his education it has been a night and day difference and he says he has the best life now

I'm not trying to push meds or ADHD by any means, just sharing what we experienced. I know how hard it is to parent a "busy" kid.
Lindsay- wife to my Soldier & SAHM to Gavin 3/06 Liam 5/09 and Collin 8/12
Done at 3 is offline   Reply With Quote