Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
AugustHope
Approved as buyer only due to past issues.
seller
seller

Booster seat on an airplane...do we have to check it?

Our 4 year old obviously needs to still be in a carseat. She uses a booster seat in my husbands vehicle currently. We will be flying on US Airways in a few days and then renting a car. I really don't want to rent a car seat from the rental company, but I also don't want to check a used carseat for $25 each way. Do airlines allow you to carry on booster seats to use while in the plane?

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
hopetc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Booster seat on an airplane...do we have to check it?

No, you cannot use a booster seat on a plane. Call the airline to see if a booster costs anything to check (a low back booster would be easy enough to carry on but not use). I believe carseats can be checked for free??? What seat does she use in your car? Any reason you don't want to bring that?
hopetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
AugustHope
seller
seller

Mine is a huge thing. I don't know what the name of it is, but I am not about to carry it through an airport. She rides very little in dh car. She has probably used it 2 times. We almost always take my van. I should add to, that our vehicle will not be at the airport so its not like if they say we can't take it we can run it out the van. We are being shuttled from hotel to the airport.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

No you can not use a booster seat on an airplane as booster seats require a lap and shoulder belt. A 4 year old is not safe in a booster seat unless they can sit correctly 100% of the time, which is highly unlikely. Most children are not ready for a dedicated booster seat until closer to six or seven.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:29 AM   #5
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Hang on - do you mean a booster seat with a harness, or one that uses the vehicle seat belt? Some people use the same term for both.

If it's using the vehicle belt then no. You don't use a booster on a plane because there is no shoulder belt. A small backless could be used as a carry on. Otherwise check with you airline, as it might allow carseats to be checked for free.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
Hang on - do you mean a booster seat with a harness, or one that uses the vehicle seat belt? Some people use the same term for both.

If it's using the vehicle belt then no. You don't use a booster on a plane because there is no shoulder belt. A small backless could be used as a carry on. Otherwise check with you airline, as it might allow carseats to be checked for free.
Yes, do check - most airlines allow necessary baby gear like strollers and car seats to be checked "at the gate" - in other words, the flight crew sticks it in a closet for the flight, or tags it and puts it in a special section of the cargo area, and has it waiting for you at your destination gate.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
firstlynn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

carseats are checked in (either with other luggage) or gate checked for free...i have a four year old & would strongly recommend carrying a regular toddler car seat for use in the plane if possible, that is the safest way for kids to fly. free check in for baby gear (inc playpen!) in all the six major airlines we have flown in.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
AugustHope
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post

She uses one with a harness. We have all types of carseats--probably 8 of them, all purchased within the last 2-3 years as we are foster parents. We have a small one that uses the vehicles restraints as well.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If it's a forward facing seat with a harness that can also be used as a booster it may be used on the plane as a harnessed seat.
If it's used as a booster seat (she sits in the seat but buckles in with the seat belt), it can't be used on the plane.

We've taken a booster seat on the plane with us and just stowed it overhead - we are allowed 2 carry-ons per seat.
We've checked seats with the luggage before - there is no charge. Travelling with a child allows you to check a car seat free, in addition to your one allowed piece of checked luggage.
We've gate-checked seats as well (you get it to the door of the plane, leave it with a tag, they put it in the plane, and when you get off it's waiting at the door for you) - this was only because I was in a big hurry and only had carry on items. It was free as well.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
If it meets carry on size limitations then yes, you can carry it on. However there are no booster seats that are approved for vehicle use that are also approved for air travel use.

ETA: I should say, while being /used as a booster/.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 09-06-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote