Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yet another kids room thread, with pictures

My 3 kids share a room, and I'm looking for suggestions on how to make it work more efficiently if you have any ideas.

Here's the big kids' bunk bed, and the ENORMOUS Playmobil Pyramid DS got for his birthday. (He loves it!) The drawers there hold his big kid toys, like Legos and "guys".

The baby side of the room. Outgrown cloth diapers are on top of the shelf. She is growing toooo fast!

The toy shelf, with all the toys put away. This is mostly DD4's toys and shared toys. The baby doesn't have many toys yet.

Three kids, one small closet. It's been quite a challenge to get it organized enough to hold all of their stuff, and I'm still working on it, but these plastic set of drawers are an improvement! I have them organized by day of the week with two outfits per drawer rather than by shirts, pants, etc. Still working on the stuff on top, mostly to-grow-into bins and a few toys on rotation. There are built in shelves along the left wall as you look in, and those hold bike helmets, shoes and boots, pajamas, and sweaters.

Okay, hit me with any and all suggestions for this space!

Advertisement

Last edited by Joluru; 09-27-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Joluru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
Re: Yet another kids room thread, with pictures

hmm...the biggest thing I noticed is you aren't using vertical space much in the room. Maybe a tall bookshelf where the big boy toys are by the bunks? Then whoever is on top could have a shelf and it wouldn't block windows. Another thing you could do is rain gutter bookshelves...one or a few for each bunk. They would be super ideal for bunkbeds I think!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are you using any under bed storage bins?
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbabies View Post
hmm...the biggest thing I noticed is you aren't using vertical space much in the room. Maybe a tall bookshelf where the big boy toys are by the bunks? Then whoever is on top could have a shelf and it wouldn't block windows. Another thing you could do is rain gutter bookshelves...one or a few for each bunk. They would be super ideal for bunkbeds I think!
A tall bookshelf is a good idea, but then where would the drawers for the big kid toys go?

I like the rain gutter bookshelves and hadn't considered those beside the bunks themselves.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycat42 View Post
Are you using any under bed storage bins?
Under the big kids' bed there is a mattress for guests. I have a storage bin under the crib with clothes for her to grow into.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you got a tall bookshelf you could get rid of the short one at the foot of the bunks...
Old 09-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Or could anything stack? Like could the short bookcase stack on the shelf that the pyramid is on? You'd have to secure to make sure they wouldn't get pulled over, but it may work. We stacked 2 short bookshelves to make one very tall one in dd's room
Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbabies View Post
Or could anything stack? Like could the short bookcase stack on the shelf that the pyramid is on? You'd have to secure to make sure they wouldn't get pulled over, but it may work. We stacked 2 short bookshelves to make one very tall one in dd's room
The pyramid wouldn't fit if the short bookshelf was on the desk, and the desk was brought into the room specifically to hold the pyramid.

If we put a tall bookcase where the short one is currently, it would block the window. Since the window there is already blocked by the bunk bed so I don't want to limit the light any more. A tall bookcase could fit where the plastic drawers of toys are, but then those toys would need a new home. They're played with on the desk, so they do need to stay close to the desk.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:09 AM   #9
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joluru View Post
The pyramid wouldn't fit if the short bookshelf was on the desk, and the desk was brought into the room specifically to hold the pyramid.

If we put a tall bookcase where the short one is currently, it would block the window. Since the window there is already blocked by the bunk bed so I don't want to limit the light any more. A tall bookcase could fit where the plastic drawers of toys are, but then those toys would need a new home. They're played with on the desk, so they do need to stay close to the desk.
I hear ya b/c I hate blocking windows, too. Windows are great for light but it sucks when they are room layout hurdles. Could you put the bunkbeds where the crib is to block the windows less and put the crib where the bunk beds are, but facing the other way so it's not so close to the windows?

Do you have an attic or basement where you could put the rotated out toys? I'd suggest maybe taking more toys out for rotation then so you could get rid of one bookshelf (not the desk). Or do you have a dining room, office or other less utilized room that you could convert to a play room? We had to sacrifice our dining room to do this, but it's made a world of difference since our daughter has a tiny bedroom.

I can't completely visualize the other side of the room, like where the door and closet door are in relation to the taller bookcase, but could the changing table and shelf above fit over there? It's going to help a lot once the changing table is outgrown, but that might not be for a long while. Would you be willing to try to sell the changing table, small wall shelf and one bookcase and instead getting a bigger piece of furniture where you could put a changing pad on, but then utilize as a bookshelf when the kids get older, maybe something like this? I know that's a stretch, but I've seen desks with a bookcase hutch with a similar setup before.

This is also extreme, but since you have 3 kids sharing a room, do you and your partner have a larger bedroom and you could switch? In our house, I know that 3 kids, their clothes, toys and beds would take up more room than my husband's and my stuff takes up.

BTW, I like the plastic stacking drawers in the closet. Can I ask where you got them and how pricey they were? I was thinking of something like that for the Barbies and Playmobil when my daughter gets old enough to use them but am having trouble finding ones w/ different drawer heights.

I forgot to say that I like where the playmobil pyramid is in relation to the toys used with it, but have you thought about where you'll keep all of the stuff once the youngest starts walking? There are the choking hazards and there's also the older kids setting up a scene and getting quite upset when the littlest knocks it all down.

If you do decide to make any changes, please let us know what you do and how it works out.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeAMom View Post
I hear ya b/c I hate blocking windows, too. Windows are great for light but it sucks when they are room layout hurdles. Could you put the bunkbeds where the crib is to block the windows less and put the crib where the bunk beds are, but facing the other way so it's not so close to the windows?

Do you have an attic or basement where you could put the rotated out toys? I'd suggest maybe taking more toys out for rotation then so you could get rid of one bookshelf (not the desk). Or do you have a dining room, office or other less utilized room that you could convert to a play room? We had to sacrifice our dining room to do this, but it's made a world of difference since our daughter has a tiny bedroom.

I can't completely visualize the other side of the room, like where the door and closet door are in relation to the taller bookcase, but could the changing table and shelf above fit over there? It's going to help a lot once the changing table is outgrown, but that might not be for a long while. Would you be willing to try to sell the changing table, small wall shelf and one bookcase and instead getting a bigger piece of furniture where you could put a changing pad on, but then utilize as a bookshelf when the kids get older, maybe something like this? I know that's a stretch, but I've seen desks with a bookcase hutch with a similar setup before.

This is also extreme, but since you have 3 kids sharing a room, do you and your partner have a larger bedroom and you could switch? In our house, I know that 3 kids, their clothes, toys and beds would take up more room than my husband's and my stuff takes up.

BTW, I like the plastic stacking drawers in the closet. Can I ask where you got them and how pricey they were? I was thinking of something like that for the Barbies and Playmobil when my daughter gets old enough to use them but am having trouble finding ones w/ different drawer heights.

I forgot to say that I like where the playmobil pyramid is in relation to the toys used with it, but have you thought about where you'll keep all of the stuff once the youngest starts walking? There are the choking hazards and there's also the older kids setting up a scene and getting quite upset when the littlest knocks it all down.

If you do decide to make any changes, please let us know what you do and how it works out.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply! If the bunk bed is on the crib wall, it's too tight to get around the toy shelf. She'll be out of the crib in a year, and onto the trundle mattress underneath the bunk bed, which will free up so much space! But in the meantime, it does suck a lot of space on that wall!

The wall with the bigger bookshelf is literally just where the door opens into the room, shelf, laundry hamper, door to the closet - there's nothing else on that wall.

I don't have a room I can make a playroom. I'd love it, but we're in 2 equally small bedrooms and 950 sq ft - there's no attic, no basement, no space to steal! I do have shelving along the top of the kids' closet that isn't used super efficiently, and getting that organized would help in storing extra stuff.

I like the changing station you linked! The wall space isn't wide enough for that, but an alternative changing set up isn't a bad idea.

The drawers are these 5 drawer Sterilite (less than $20 in the store!), but I bought multiples and reconfigured to our needs. As for the Playmobil, all small parts are in enclosed bins with lids, so the parts baby can reach while crawling are just the big pieces.