Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
angelideet
Registered Users

Need Advice for sewing my own inserts/doublers, please

Hello-
I CD my daughter all day using FB OS. ('Sposies at night). She is a year old.

We are having problems with leaks lately. I've already stripped. I think we just need more absorbency. I tried few hemp doublers (Joeykicks) and have had good results.

I would like to sew some more doublers. I am crafty and I own a serger, but I'm overwhelmed by all the choices. I was leaning towards more hemp, but I just read that hemp isn't good in humid climates. I'm in Florida, so it's always humid.
Also, is there any reason I need to sew the inserts in the hourglass shape? I am leaning towards sewing them like the FB microfiber inserts.

Or should I just make all new inserts with microfiber on top and hemp/bamboo/ or zorb underneath? I must be overthinking this, right?

Oh- and any advice you have on where to find the fabric you recommend a great price would be helpful!
TIA

Advertisement

angelideet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
lakemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need Advice for sewing my own inserts/doublers, please

You're not overthinking, I must have made about 6 different versions of an insert before I came up with the PERFECT combo. Oh and I buy all my fabric at kidsinthegarden.com She's gone until 9/15 but worth waiting for because she's an awesome Mama. You'll find lots of info on her site.
So here's the formula, bottom to top. LeakPROOF!
2 layers hemp jersey
1 layer zorb
1-2 layers of bamboo fleece OR, if the insert were touching skin I would use 2 layers of bamboo fleece + a layer of OBV on top. Not because the fleece isn't soft (it is) but because the OBV is just dreamy!

I made them rectangle with round edges because contoured are a pain to stuff.

*MOST important thing* You have to pre-wash all your bamboo & hemp, but not zorb, FIRST because it will shrink. Otherwise your inserts will be small & wonky.
THEN you have to prep them 6-10 times because hemp has natural oils that take forever to become absorbant. Worth the hassle though.

But- FWIW my new favorite insert is Imagine Bamboo prefolds. Very absorbant, yet super soft, and reasonable at just $2 per dipe. They also dry fast because the thickness is only there when you fold it. Although my inserts that I made dry pretty fast too.

If you want to try one of mine before you invest in all the fabric, I'll send you one for $5 to cover the packing & shipping. PM me if so.
lakemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
angelideet
Registered Users

Thank you soo much for answering!

I agree that contoured inserts are a pain to stuff. Plus, they just don't fit well in the pocket and folding them over makes the diaper super bulky! My girl is tiny for a one year old. We stopped using the FB Smalls bc they were getting too short, but she's slim and the Joeykocks M hemps stick out the back.

Are you using just your insert or do you use it with a microfiber insert?
The FB have fleece lining, so I was thinking that I would either use the FB microfiber insert with an extra insert behind it, but if your insert "potion" works without MF, that would be less laundry!!!

Thanks for the tips on how to prep them also

Let me do a little research and see about ordering one of yours! I need to figure out if we woukd switch all of our inserts to the magic insert or just use some as doublers! Thanks!
angelideet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
lakemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is also very small, with chicken legs. I have better success with the FB OS than I do the medium perfect fit because I can make the legs smaller. The elites are too skinny for any insert besides a FB.

I usually use only my insert, but if I want to increase absorbency I'll use a FB small insert. Those together are great, and not bulky. I don't like micro, but it does work nicely with hemp. If you don't mind it, maybe you want to add a layer of micro below the bamboo and you'd have a complete insert. You can use micro shop towels, they're the same thing.
lakemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
dren09
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

An inexpensive way to make inserts is to go to the thrift store. I've bought flannel sheets, towels, fleece blankets and just used those to make inserts. I usually use 2-4 layers flannel with 1-2 layers fleece or terry cloth. We use these inserts in addition to the microfiber inserts and it's helped a ton. I made our inserts just slightly shorter in length than the microfiber so that there isn't so much bulk around the waist.
dren09 is offline   Reply With Quote