Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Do people buy used stuffed animals?

I'm slowly doing some toy "downsizing", and we have some stuffed animals that really aren't used/loved. I have boys, so thankfully they don't get very many given to them -- they have a couple special ones each, and then probably 5 or 6 that I am looking to get rid of. Recently we were visiting some family and went to a huge thrift store. There was a whole aisle jam packed with donated stuffed animals. I couldn't walk down it, just looking at it filled my head with nightmares of bed bugs and lice and other nasty things. I can't even imagine buying a stuffed animal at a thrift store or yard sale. So I'm debating if I should donate these stuffed animals that we have, or just trash them? If there is any value in them, I would rather give them to Goodwill than just put them in a landfill, but don't want to waste Goodwill's time if they are worthless. Thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do people buy used stuffed animals?

If you are planning to have a yard sale, give them away free...it attracts the little kids, which brings their parents to buy other stuff.

If you aren't, then just donate them to goodwill. They will put them on the shelf. If they don't sell them they will probably recycle them like they do with the clothes they can't sell.

The thing with stuffed animals is that you can bag them up and then throw them in the wash. It's not like a mattress or couch that you can't really wash. It's much easier to take whatever steps are necessary to kill grossness so it makes more people more comfortable with buying them used.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

Generally I don't think there's much. I do find that people will buy disney, build a bear, and some of the other brand names but they generally won't pay much for them.

I have had people come and buy the other ones for their dogs. I generally just mark them as a .25 each and whatever doesn't sell I donate.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

I'm not wanting to sell them, just get them out of my house. I just didn't want to give them to Goodwill if they were just going to get thrown out anyway -- but it sounds like they might be able to sell them, so we will go ahead and drop them off. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

People do buy them - although I'm with you - its kind of icks me out. My local thrift store gets overrun with them and sometimes they will do a fill a bag for $1 and I see people leaving with an entire trash bag! I used to buy them for my dog when she was a puppy but that was 10yrs ago and bed bugs didn't occur to me then. She also used to shred them w/in a week and we would throw them away and move on. (Then yrs later we had kids and already owned a dog that shredded stuffed animals)

But yes - people buy them, mostly MILs, and then moms like us donate them back!
dancnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
weareborgswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We buy them from time to time - have found American Girl pets, fur-real friends types, for my dog, and random things- like I bought a like new TY parrot to use to make a prop for my cousin's pirate birthday party.
weareborgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd donate them to the Red Cross, or a battered women's shelter.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I know people buy them, but I personally think it's gross. I hate the idea of possibly bringing something into the house like lice, fleas... I don't mind when a friend (I know) gives us one as a hand me down toy, but other than that, no. Do you have any animals? Some sizes make great dog toys.