Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Not giving placements because of pets?

We are just starting our MAPP classes, but our LW said last night that she didn't like to place infants in homes that had an indoor dog because babies didn't need to be on the same floor that a dog has been on. Of course, this was after pointing out that she was NOT an animal person. Has anyone ever heard of this issue when you only have one small, non-aggressive dog indoors that stays clean? We do have one chihuahua doxie mix that is still a older puppy. We haven't had him long, but the kids love him. I really don't want to have to get rid of him over this, but fostering is more important to me than the dog. WWYD??

ETA: He spends a good bit of the day outside when it's pretty and not too hot, but he's always inside in a crate at night and in bad weather.

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thats ridiculous. I have a 70lb basset hound and currently have 2 babies none of which have much interaction with the dog. He sleeps all day but we utilize gates and apack and play. Dfs is a always separated from dog because if I dont someone is going to loose a blood shot eye or a long droopy ear...guess which one? dfd can't really have contact with dfs for the same reason but its not a big deal since shes mostly in the wrap or baby container if I'm doing something that I can't do with her such as tackling dfs for his breathing treatments. When dfs is sleeping or at a visit she gets floor time on a blanket. She must be doing ok she rolled over last night! : cheer:
Old 09-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Not giving placements because of pets?

I thought it was kind of biased, too. BTW, it wasn't aimed at us, it was to the whole class after a bunch of people showed off pics of their pets when she asked who already had kids. We are not the kind of people who keep pics of our pets in our wallets like some did, so ours was never mentioned. I think I may clarify that with her a little at the next meeting in a polite way.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

That's totally unacceptable. That right there is how people are able to screw with the system within their own authority, preventing babies going to good homes simply because they are not an "animal person". I would try reasoning with her. Explain that you can keep one room, maybe the living room, dog free for the baby. If that doesn't work, I would be going over her head to a supervisor. That's not right.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Mack
Registered Users
seller

There have been studies that have shown that infants living in homes with pets (including outdoor going pets) require fewer doctor visits and have have stronger immune systems.
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Weird. When we were first licensed, we had no pets, but obtained a dog shortly afterwards from someone unable to care for her anymore. She is an 80lb golden doodle. Great with the babies but does try to lick them once in awhile. Wasn't even an issue except we needed proof of shots. I have heard most foster homes have animals as I think the type of people to take kids into your home tend to be the same as ones likely to take in animals. That's what our training worker said anyway.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here our licensing worker does not have anything to do with making placements, only licensing and renewing home studies.
sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynneBabies
Weird. When we were first licensed, we had no pets, but obtained a dog shortly afterwards from someone unable to care for her anymore. She is an 80lb golden doodle. Great with the babies but does try to lick them once in awhile. Wasn't even an issue except we needed proof of shots. I have heard most foster homes have animals as I think the type of people to take kids into your home tend to be the same as ones likely to take in animals. That's what our training worker said anyway.
I agree!!! We have a greyhound/shepherd mix and it was never an issue. She put on the charm for the licensing worker and we never had an issue. She's a good girl anyway. ;0) and, our home inspection was done by the licensing worker, and has nothing to do with placement either,
Old 09-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all of the input. I'm going to talk to her before our next class and verify what exactly she meant. I totally agree with requiring shots, which they do, and could even understand a vet's health assessment being required, which isn't. Maybe she just said that in case homes are dirty and have too many pets?? Not an issue here, obviously, but hoping that's all she really meant.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
macmemo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have a big indoor dog and it never came in the way of us getting infant placements.

ETA~ All of our case workers where very afraid of dogs so we just put her in the bedroom when they came to visit.

Last edited by macmemo; 09-08-2012 at 10:07 AM.
macmemo is offline   Reply With Quote