Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Birth kits

I am hoping to do a UC with going to the hospital afterwards (I know).

My reason? I want a home birth but I can't because my pregnancy is "high-risk". The delivery is not high risk as I have already had 2 drug-free births with no complications. And DD's was a high-risk pregnancy and other than having a kidney stone attack right at the end. The nurses and midwives were so cruel to me, I just cannot handle it again. But I also don't feel comfortable not being checked out and I know baby will need to be checked out too. I want/need the best of both worlds.

So I want to have some of the supplies on hand, chux pads, the mesh panties, the peribottle....... But the kits are a bit overwhelming. I like this one:http://www.preciousarrows.com/Deluxe...it_p/80001.htm because of the extras.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisement

kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Birth kits

Why are you "high risk" w/ this pregnancy? You could be opening up yourself to potential problems by going in after. As to kits, I only had one w/ my first HB, skipped the kit w/ my last 8 UC's.

I usually have:

pads
chux
peri bottle
sheperd's purse
bendie straws
old towels
older sheets for the bed after birth
kiddie pool
nose sucker thing jic
scissors
something to clamp cord
bowl for placenta

Last edited by Mamatoabunch; 09-20-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Mamatoabunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
Why are you "high risk" w/ this pregnancy? You could be opening up yourself to potential problems by going in after. As to kits, I only had one w/ my first HB, skipped the kit w/ my last 8 UC's.

I usually have:

pads
chux
peri bottle
sheperd's purse
bendie straws
old towels
older sheets for the bed after birth
kiddie pool
nose sucker thing jic
scissors
something to clamp cord
bowl for placenta
My kidney stones. Because of my frequent stone attacks, I receive narcotics. That by itself makes me "high-risk". I was planning on telling them, "baby came too quick". DD was born in less than 2 hours when I figured out I was in labor.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
Binah Birth
Registered Users
Formerly: Sew Cute Creations
seller

My Mood:

I really don't see how kidney stones makes one high risk ... are there no other provider options where you live? I'm sorry you are in this situation.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have never ever ever heard of kidney stones making you high risk. So no matter what, you get narcotics during labor? Is that what you mean?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
I have never ever ever heard of kidney stones making you high risk. So no matter what, you get narcotics during labor? Is that what you mean?
Narcotics throughout the pregnancy. With DD's pregnancy, I was put on a Fentanyl patch for the 3rd trimester. That meant DD and I were both addicted to it when she was born. I was physically and obviously DD was. When she was born, they really watched her for signs of withdrawal.

I am hoping it will not be the case with this pregnancy. I am trying to take steps to avoid it. Though the medical system seems to be a little annoying up here.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
bendie straws
what are those for?
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
what are those for?
To make it easier for you to drink in labor! I probably wouldn't have drank anything at all in labor with DD if it hadn't been for the bendy straws! I was in the pool and my DH would offer me water and it was just a lot easier to drink with a straw instead if trying to sit up and use my arms to hold the cup when I didn't really feel like moving form my hands and knees position.
EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote