Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

How much would (or did you) pay for childbirth classes?

And what topics were covered?
Did you feel like you got your money's worth?

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much would (or did you) pay for childbirth classes?

We went to a free class at the hospital. It was a big waste of time. IMO. For one thing it was a big class where you sat a tables. It was at 7pm on a Monday night. After being at work all day--I work at 6:30am, by 7pm I was tired. I remember the teacher going on and on about the stages of labor. Well when it came to my labors I didn't have the "normal" stages. And didn't end up using anything from the class. The only thing i got out of it was I didn't want an epidural after they passed around the needle. No way was anyone sticking that in my back.

Last edited by Nerissa; 09-07-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
sterlids
Registered Users
seller

not the answer you're looking for but i didn't do any classes at all with my son. i learned all i needed to from reading books. our classes are free as i'm an air force wife but i didn't feel the need to go to any classes. just go to your library or barnes and noble and find the books that spark your interest.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
romansmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

We paid $250 if I remember correctly for birthing, breastfeeding, caring for a newborn, infant CPR, and car seat safety classes. They were all a series of classes spread out over a few weeks so they were pretty involved but in the end a huge waste of money. I wanted a drug-free natural birth so felt like I could benefit from as much info as possible. DH and I joke about it now but every single thing in my birth plan went completely opposite of what I wanted. If your hospital offers free classes, it may he worth your time. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother if I were you. This forum provides way more info than you'll get in a class.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm asking bc I'm considering becoming a certified childbirth instructor. ;-)
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
ChocoChoco
Registered Users

I forget how much ours cost at the hospital. The only thing we got out of it was an eye opener to hospital policies that we were not aware of before. So that part was worthwhile for us. The childbirth part didn't teach me I didn't already know from the book or Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
ChocoChoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I paid $150 for The Bradley Method childbirth classes. We got a $50 discount because the instructor needed to fill the class. I think it helped both DH and I to prepare better. He really used techniques we learned and I used some too. I don't feel its necessary though to go again. I think classes are good for hands on or visual learners. Just reading about it wouldn't have cut it for me.
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
aimeeturd
Registered Users

My Mood:
I paid $135 for hypnobirthing classes and ended up with a c-section due to preeclampsia and a large baby. Even though I didn't use it for labor, I've found the information helpful for the pain after a c-section.
aimeeturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

MW charged $125, and the class was mandatory for first time parents or parents who hadn't birthed naturally before. I thought the class was awesome. It completely changed DH's perspective on natural birth.
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

$75

Positions during labor, birthing positions, relaxation exercises, partner support, states of labor, and pain management skills.

The partner support was awesome. DH had no idea what to do or even how things work. He felt much more confident after the class. It was taught by a doula instructor. She's also the local ican leader.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote