Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My brother called me last night...my sil is scheduled for a repeat section next Friday due to low fluid levels. Her level was 4.7 yesterday...they like it to be 10 I think.

My question is this...has anyone ever been successful in raising their fluid level or is it smarter for her to do the early section?? She will be 34w4d that day. Baby Kaitlyn is weighing 4lb6oz according to the ultrasound.

I'm scared for her.

Advertisement

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Last edited by Holly dolly; 09-08-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question...low amniotic fluid??

Amniotic fluid levels are usually strongly associated with how well the placenta is functioning in late pregnancy. She could try drinking water and resting, but unless the cause of the low fluid is dehydration to begin with, this won't help. Her baby is small for gestational age, too, which also suggests that the placenta is not functioning. Sometimes they are better out than in.

But really, we are not her OB, we don't have access to all her labs, tests, and all the information on her. This is a call she and her OB need to make together. I sincerely hope that the mother and baby end up healthy.

So, that out of the way, my first was induced for low fluid at 36 weeks. We tried raising it for a month. I was on strict bedrest and was drinking 2 gallons of water per day. My level was hovering around a 7 for about a month, but when I went in for my weekly BPP, it tanked to a 4, and the baby hadn't grown for a month. So I went in for an induction. She was born healthy, but my placenta looked like it had been through a shredder. It was small, maybe 2/3 of the size of the others I delivered. There were holes in it filled with clotted blood, and it just looked rough. It was definitely time to induce. Thankfully it did not affect her lung function. One of the fears of low fluid is that it prevents the lungs from developing properly. Babies pretend to breathe, and that helps stretch their lungs so they can grow. If there isn't enough fluid to breathe in, the lungs can't mature. This is also why is it a fallacy to think that babies born in water won't breathe in the water, because they have been practice breathing in amniotic fluid for months.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you. I thought she seemed small as well. She's kind of close-mouthed about the details...which is another reason I was worried.

It must not be too serious though because they're waiting a week to schedule the section. Luckily she is going to Omaha where the hospital is bigger and more trained in this sort of thing.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was not successful getting my level up even with bed rest and drinking 120oz water and 60oz of Gatorade a day (I had low fetal movement which is why I drank the Gatorade) but like pp said it was due to a prematurely degrading placenta so fluids weren't going to help. I was able to have a vaginal birth but they had to give me an internal catheter to replenish me with synthetic amniotic fluid during labor.

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last time mine bounced around a lot. At 32 weeks it was at 6 cms....which is extremely low at that point. It went between 5 and 8 cms for the next 6 weeks when I was induced at 38 weeks, due to other signs of placental compromise. I was monitored with 2 NST weekly and 1 BPP, sometimes 2 if there were any questions along with 2 Drs. appts. It was always tense...I never knew if I would come home from an appt or not.

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
made4this
Active Contributor
Formerly: boyfarm3
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
Sometimes they are better out than in.
This My first was induced at 41w3d for the same reason. I know that's a LOT later than the baby you are talking about so obviously many more issues at play for li'l Eli, but the one thing I learned is that in the course of trying to avoid interventions it is possible to put the little one at risk. Then the mommy guilt is all yours. I see a scripture in your siggy so I feel very comfortable telling you that I will say a prayer for Eli and his mommy
made4this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
BBBmOm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree withe everything said here! My first was emergent c section due to a dramatic decrease (I had been on bed rest and lots of fluid for a month with AFI around 6-7...it suddenly dropped to less than 2 with no leakage!) at 35 weeks. My placenta had gone to crap and she was better out than in at that point. I hope everything goes well!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 09-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
TangerineTea
Registered Users
seller

I had aging placenta with DD so with DS I was monitored the last 6 weeks with NST and watching fluid levels. The closer I got to 40 weeks the lower the fluid got. They pushed for induction, but heart rate and kick counts were fine so I waited and was able to buy some time with bedrest and an insane amount of water and coconut water. The closer I got to 40 weeks the lower the fluid got. I was just a day or two shy of my due date and I went to triage due to feeling less kick counts and the fluid was below 4cm so they induced with cervadil which kickstarted labor. I was able to avoid pitocin and a csection. You can buy time drinking fluids and bedrest, but not much and you have to be watched closely. Not worth risking it if it gets to the point that it is safe them out than in. Best of luck to your sister in law. It is so good that they can identify these issues and provide appropriate care!
TangerineTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
TangerineTea
Registered Users
seller

Double post

Last edited by TangerineTea; 09-08-2012 at 01:57 PM.
TangerineTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Her baby doesn't seem that small to me? Mine were both only 7 pounds or less at 40 and 41 weeks.
To me that seems really early for delivery based on low fluid measurements alone, which are not very reliable.
Evidence based birth blog recently had a post with the studies that pertain to the issue that you might find interesting.
Many women never have their fluid levels checked; who is to day that their levels weren't "low" also?