Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
raisingthem4Him
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help! I have soft water AND a front loader... anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boys1girlforme View Post
Actually soft water will make it easier to keep diapers clean- not harder. In hard water the minerals make it harder for the detergent to work properly. You have to be careful with soft water that you aren't using too much detergent and that it is rinsed well.
I have a water softener and a front loader and have used Tide HE powder (ultra works great too!) for years with no issue. I always wash diapers on sanitary though so that might be what makes it so easy for me.
Have you found any problems using the sanitary cycle? My manual says it heats water to 160 degrees and most diapers with PUL recommend less than that (I have a lot of pockets with PUL).

Advertisement

raisingthem4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
raisingthem4Him
Registered Users
seller

I also feel like I need "permission" to use a regular detergent. I've always at least used a free and clear type, but since switching to natural detergents I hate the chemicals even in the free and clear. I have done some research and found that often the natural detergents have so much washing soda in them to "soften" the water, that it can make already soft water "too soft" to actually clean (not enough acid in the water to break down dirt). So I want to take the plunge to something mainstream and it seems I may just have a bunch of trial and error. I have also always avoided bleach, so it seems maybe I need to add that to the routine too. Any neg. effects from those repeat bleach users? Thanks for the advice mamas, and keep it coming!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #13
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have soft water and an HE TL. HE Liquid Tide works best for us (technically the HE Tide powder works well for the diapers too but it irritates DS's skin). I don't believe that soft water makes washing easier as I had my share of frustrations before finding liquid Tide (Charlie's Soap, Country Save, All F&C, and Tide F&G were all diaper failures at my house).

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #14
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
I have soft water and an HE TL. HE Liquid Tide works best for us (technically the HE Tide powder works well for the diapers too but it irritates DS's skin). I don't believe that soft water makes washing easier as I had my share of frustrations before finding liquid Tide (Charlie's Soap, Country Save, All F&C, and Tide F&G were all diaper failures at my house).

I agree - the problem is that it seems like to use enough detergent to get the diapers clean creates a massive amount of bubbles. Like up to the top of the window of the FL bubbles.

When I added extra water manually to my FL (through the detergent slot) - I ended up rusting out the bearings on the drum and broke my washer (luckily DH is handy and took apart the whole thing - including the concrete drum - and replaced them - they were rusted into pieces).

I've been doing cloth for 6 years and counting now - and the detergent thing has always been a struggle - especially into toddlerhood and beyond (we use cloth pull-ups with the big kids at our house).
Old 09-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #15
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerolami19 View Post
Have you found any problems using the sanitary cycle? My manual says it heats water to 160 degrees and most diapers with PUL recommend less than that (I have a lot of pockets with PUL).
Actually our diapers hold up great. A FL causes much less wear and tear on diapers overall. Our main diaper is one size pockets and I have some (smartipants) that are at the end of diapering the second child and still in great shape! I never had any problems with elastic or PUL with washing on sanitary and have been washing pockets on sanitary for 6 years.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #16
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish3737

I agree - the problem is that it seems like to use enough detergent to get the diapers clean creates a massive amount of bubbles. Like up to the top of the window of the FL bubbles.

When I added extra water manually to my FL (through the detergent slot) - I ended up rusting out the bearings on the drum and broke my washer (luckily DH is handy and took apart the whole thing - including the concrete drum - and replaced them - they were rusted into pieces).

I've been doing cloth for 6 years and counting now - and the detergent thing has always been a struggle - especially into toddlerhood and beyond (we use cloth pull-ups with the big kids at our house).
Yes!! I had the suds issue too. I think everything has some amount of softener added for the masses. I even have this issue (minorly) with my beloved liquid Tide. I have to use up to the 2 line but need a couple to three extra rinses to get it all out. I figure this isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things though.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
raisingthem4Him
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boys1girlforme View Post
Actually our diapers hold up great. A FL causes much less wear and tear on diapers overall. Our main diaper is one size pockets and I have some (smartipants) that are at the end of diapering the second child and still in great shape! I never had any problems with elastic or PUL with washing on sanitary and have been washing pockets on sanitary for 6 years.
Thank you for your reply, that is SO good to hear! I have used mine a few times, but was afraid to use it for every load in case it really would cause major damage. I'm not worried about warranties, but I don't want to have to replace diapers too often.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
raisingthem4Him
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
Yes!! I had the suds issue too. I think everything has some amount of softener added for the masses. I even have this issue (minorly) with my beloved liquid Tide. I have to use up to the 2 line but need a couple to three extra rinses to get it all out. I figure this isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things though.

I'm starting to get the idea that I need to rinse more and more... I just feel like I end up spending so much time/energy/water I begin to wonder if cloth is really cheaper, it is definitely more stressful trying to find a good wash routine! lol
Old 09-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #19
raisingthem4Him
Registered Users
seller

Last question- is liquid vs. powder more of a personal preference? Has it made a difference for anyone else?
Old 09-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #20
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerolami19
Last question- is liquid vs. powder more of a personal preference? Has it made a difference for anyone else?
Re: rinsing, I haven't noticed. The powder breaks my DS out though. Supposedly, the liquid rinses cleaner too (according to Proctor & Gamble).