Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Need carseat advice--Britax Marathon too big for my minivan????

I need some advice about my carseat situation.

I used to have my girls (ages 9 and 4) in the back row of my minivan, each in Graco TurboBoosters (with the backs.) Then my boys were (they still are) in each of the middle row captain's chairs in their respective carseats (the 2 year old in a Britax Marathon and the baby in an Evenflo Triumph.) Even though my 4 year old sat great in the Graco TurboBooster, I've never felt quite comfortable with her in it knowing she'd be safest in a harnessed seat.

So I bought her a Britax Marathon thinking she could use it for the next year to year and half, and around that time, my baby's seat would be expiring so he could have her Marathon and she could go back into the high-back booster.

I tried installing her new Marathon in the third row, but it was too big to go behind the captain's chair. She said it hurt her legs. So I moved it to where we could use the LATCH, which is slightly off center the middle of the bench. This created a problem because now there is no room for an extra person in our car, but I decided to get over it for my daughter's safety.

We've been doing this arrangement for a few weeks now, and my problem now is that the carseat is so huge that I can't see out the back of the freakin' van anymore. I have inadvertently (of course) cut people off a few times in the past couple of weeks while driving because I can't see them. I do not feel safe driving like this, I could cause an accident.

So what do I do? Do I put her back in the booster, or do I learn to deal with this? I thought I would adjust to it, but I haven't. My seat is raised as high as it will go already.

Here's a couple of pic of the view from my seat when I try to check my blind spot, or when I look in my rearview mirror:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Picture038.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Picture037.jpg

What else can I do? Please help me, I'll listen to any suggestion! BTW, my 4 year old daughter is 40 pounds, 41 inches tall. (I'm so glad I didn't buy the Regent...that thing would have never fit in the third row of my van!)

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
bluebonnet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need carseat advice--Britax Marathon too big for my minivan????

Why did it hurt her legs? Were her legs touching the back of the other seat??
Old 05-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
Psychomom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebonnet View Post
Why did it hurt her legs? Were her legs touching the back of the other seat??
Yes, her legs were touching the back of the other seat. More than that, the captain's chair was pushing her legs down, so that's what hurt her. I tried to have her sit with her legs crossed but she couldn't do it.

Last edited by Psychomom; 05-08-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
tatertots
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly I would put it back behind the other seat. I am sure she will get used to it or figure out how to position her legs so they are ok. I don't like having things in the way of my back window when I'm driving. If I do have to have something there then I try to always use my side mirrors and look over my shoulder before I change lanes.
Pamela SAHM to Eli 5 and Chloe 2 and a very proud AF WIFE! Expecting #3 in October
tatertots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You may want to post this here: http://www.car-seat.org/, because there's lots of knowledgable and helpful mamas on any car seat questions.

I know that the Sunshine Kids Radian is smaller than any Britax, so check them out for sure (there's one that goes to 65 lbs. as well as to 80 lbs., and it goes rear facing, too.)
Old 05-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
OwensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm. I would also move it back to the driver side if its causing a hazard for you to drive.

Besides that I really dont know what to offer. The Radian would be better then the marathon. The back is not any shorter however there is NO base at all so its sits low on the seat, which also might help the leg issue. It has compatability issues though with certain cars so I would post on a car seat board to check before you buy it.

I would also say post on car-seat.org if you cant really get the help you are looking for. I post there infrequently. Its a great board. And good for you for re-harnessing her!

ETA: I just found this photo of a MA/Radian side by side http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s/IMG_3624.jpg
I guess it wouldnt work because though the radian doesnt have a base, I guess the shell is that much taller that it evens out the height. All cars are different though. We have an SUV maybe Ill take a pic of them side by side and see how it looks.

Last edited by OwensMama; 05-08-2007 at 12:25 PM.
OwensMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
Voltige
Registered Users
seller

Can you move the captain's seat forward a little so it does not hurt her legs? I have the Evenflo Triumph in a captains seat and can move the seat up a *little* before it hits the back of the drivers seat.
Voltige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:44 PM   #8
Scarlet
Registered Users
seller

i thought once their heads were above the top of the seat you should move them to a new seat....what are the height requirements for the marathon?

Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #9
Snazzy Fannies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
i thought once their heads were above the top of the seat you should move them to a new seat....what are the height requirements for the marathon?
For ff, the MA is outgrown by height when the top of the ears go above the top of the shell or when the shoulders go above the top harness slot. Which ever comes FIRST.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #10
Psychomom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
According to the user's guide, the Marathon's height limit is 49 inches.