Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:
SNS or Lact-Aid?

Hey everybody. I already posted this in the ISO board, but I wanted to post it on here in case any of you don't read the ISO board.

I am in severe need of an SNS or a Lact-Aid. (I'd prefer the Lact-Aid, but beggers can't be choosers!) I can't afford a brand new one, but I'm pretty sure that I need to get rid of the bottles if Xander's latch is ever going to improve and we're ever going to be able to exclusively breastfeed.

So if you've used one and it worked and you don't need it anymore, PLEASE let me take it off your hands!!

Advertisement

KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: SNS or Lact-Aid?

I wish I could help but I don't have any formula at all in my house.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:48 AM   #3
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried eBay? I got a great deal on my Pump in Style on there. Also check with the hospital where you delivered (or your local hospital) and talk to the LC. She may be able to give/loan you one or even recommend someone who might have one to get rid of.

By the way, I don't know your story but I do want to say hang in there. When DJ was born, he was early and his mouth was too small for my nipples. He couldn't latch on at all. To keep him off IVs, we finally gave in and gave him formula (took forever to even find a bottle he could drink from!) but I started pumping right away. The LC told me to offer the breast at every feeding even though it was mostly just a gesture since we knew he couldn't latch. So, every feeding started with me fighting to get him latched on, usually both of us wound up in tears, then dh would take him and give him whatever I had pumped while I pumped some more, then we'd top off with formula. After a few days of that, I was completely falling apart. I did a lot of soul-searching and came to the conclusion that although I really wanted to nurse, it was more important to me that he get the breastmilk one way or another. So I decided to "give up" on trying to force the breast and just focus on pumping and weaning off the formula. I pumped religiously...constantly. Nobody told me to do it 15 minutes every three hours...so I did it as often as possible. Literally I'd spend 45 minutes out of every hour pumping or manually expressing...trying to get every last drop of colustrum so I'd have enough for the next bottle. Around 5 days, my milk came in and boy did it come in! For a baby who was drinking roughly .5 ounce at a time, I could easily pump 4-6 ounces from each side...and do the same again an hour later! OUCH!! But I was able to completely cut out the formula and give him exclusively breastmilk. I also figured out how to get my supply under control and get on a pumping schedule I could live with long term. I had pretty much given up any hope of nursing him but occasionally, I would offer the breast just to see what happened. I promised myself that no matter how it went, I would not get upset (easier said than done). A couple of times I really got my hopes up because he would latch on (or so I thought) and "nurse" for an hour or so, but then he'd turn right around and take a full feeding from the bottle. When he was 6 weeks old, I went back to work full time and at that point, I figured we had a pretty good system and I should just stick with it. One night (about 7.5 weeks), I wound up working late and when we got home, he was ready to eat but I had no milk warmed up. I took some out of the fridge and put it in water to warm but he was getting very impatient. Coincidentally, it was also time for me to pump so I was pretty full and I guess he could smell the milk. He started clawing and rooting at my shirt. I remember kind of laughing and telling him "Silly thing...you won't drink it from there if I let you!" but he was getting more and more impatient so finally I figured what the heck and let him try. He latched on and nursed to sleep...when I pumped right afterward, I got exactly 1.5 ounces less from the side he was on (that was a full feeding for him at the time). The next night, I decided to try again and see what happened. He stayed latched on for about 3 hours that time and freaked every time I tried to take him off, but eventually, he fell asleep and didn't wake up till time for his next feeding. That weekend, I went cold turkey with the bottles and just let him nurse all the time. He still had to take bottles while I was working, but when he was with me he nursed. He weaned himself fully around 19 months and I know he would have gone longer if I had not been pregnant again at that time.

So anyway, that long story was just to say that whatever issues you're having, hang in there and be patient because it can work...and probably when you least expect it! It isn't easy to get a bottle baby back on the breast but it is doable. I believe I remember reading somewhere that comfort nursing often comes easier than nutritive nursing but it's a first step. Just don't be too hard on yourself and take things one day at a time. Good luck!

Here are a couple of links you might find interesting:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
Audriannasmommy
Registered Users

I am also in need of one my daughter has cerebral palsy and a poor latch so let me know also
Audriannasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:06 AM   #5
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

Wow, I checked ebay but they're going just as much for used as they are new (well there was only one on there). I did use one awhile back (Lact-Aid) and have found the box, but not the system. I'm so sorry - I was trying to look but can't seem to find it. I think I may have donated it or something, though - it's been over a year since I used it. I hope you can find one, but I'll keep looking!
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:14 AM   #6
Audriannasmommy
Registered Users

I posted on my local free cycle that i was looking for someone to donate one and have not had any luck
Old 06-17-2006, 07:14 AM   #7
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would try to get the hospital/clinic/pharmacy to order one & try to charge it to your insurance!! My sis & I were both able to have insurance cover Pump in styles! It's for sure worth a try! If I can find any deals, I'll pm you!

& Kudos to you for knowing that being at the breast will help latch & wanting to improve latch...
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:16 AM   #8
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2zander
I would try to get the hospital/clinic/pharmacy to order one & try to charge it to your insurance!! My sis & I were both able to have insurance cover Pump in styles! It's for sure worth a try! If I can find any deals, I'll pm you!

& Kudos to you for knowing that being at the breast will help latch & wanting to improve latch...
Have the doc write a script - either your OB or your Ped... although I think if your Ped writes it you've got better chances of insurance covering it.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:43 AM   #9
Audriannasmommy
Registered Users

i found an sns my fiances buying off a mama here next week
Old 06-17-2006, 01:01 PM   #10
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have a SNS but for some reason one of the tubes isnt working..